Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
Windows Defender Antivirus, Malwarebytes Premium 4.1.0
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
AdwCleaner, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, HitmanPro Free, Zemana Antimalware Portable Free
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome - uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere
Firefox - uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere
Edge (Chromium) - uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere
Maintenance tools
Autoruns, Process Explorer, TCPView, Revo Uninstaller Free
File and Photo backup
Google Backup & Sync
System recovery
Macrium Reflect Free
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Working from home
Computer specs
Alienware Aurora R5:
  • CPU: 4GHz Intel Core i7-6700K
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4 RAM (2,133MHz)
  • Storage: 256GB PCIe SSD, 2TB HDD (7,200RPM)

BigZ

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 15, 2018
Hi All,

This is my new security setup for 2020.

Although I'm currently running Windows Defender Antivirus and Malwarebytes Premium 4.1.0 in real-time, I'm debating whether to switch to Sophos Home Premium as I obtained a 3-year license. I'm not sure which would provide better protection for my computer.

I look forward to any comments or suggestions.

Thanks,
BigZ

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I highly recommend using Windows Hello PIN to protect your Password. Your Hello PIN never leaves your device.
Learn more: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4468253/windows-10-sign-in-options-and-privacy

Requirements:
  • Link user account to your Microsoft Account
Other benefits:
  • Activates your Windows 10 Digital Entitlement License to your Microsoft Account. Never need to search for a product key again. Learn more.
  • Use Hello PIN for logging into other Microsoft services in the browser, further protecting your Password. Learn more.
  • Use OneDrive for Backups, Files On Demand and Ransomware Protection. Learn more. And get more protection with Microsoft 365 (previously Office 365). Learn more.

Last edited:

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Good config, consider using Bitwarden or another password manager instead of paper :)
Edit: about Sophos, it is a heavy AV and I wouldn't recommend running MBAM alongside unless you want to transform your gaming rig into a potato 😆

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@BigZ:

I would keep MBAM only for on demand scans and will use Hard_Configurator (@Andy Ful) to harden Windows Defender.

In Data BackUp, consider also to run manual backups of important data to external devices.

A PassWord Manager would be welcome also.

Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.