Billions of devices affected by UPnP vulnerability

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I don't think you need UPnP unless you regularly download items from Private trackers which may require you to enable UPnP for seeding and other stuff.
Some games require UPnP too.
Hmm... I have it enabled in router's settings, but looks like everything is find on my end.

Screenshot_1.png
People still Torrent (leechers vs seeders)? There are literally hundreds of streaming services out available.

What do you make of this UPnP and Port Forwarding, since I need the Open NAT for online games?
Yes, people still torrent. Those pirate streaming sites offer movies and TV shows in low quality, constantly buffering (sometimes not working links) and without possibility to watch content with subtitles.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Some games require UPnP too.

Hmm... I have it enabled in router's settings, but looks like everything is find on my end.

View attachment 242571

Yes, people still torrent. Those pirate streaming sites offer movies and TV shows in low quality, constantly buffering (sometimes not working links) and without possibility to watch content with subtitles.
That GRC test only shows if UPnP responds to external pings, which it shouldn't. What brand router do you have?

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
That GRC test only shows if UPnP responds to external pings, which it shouldn't. What brand router do you have?
It's the router I got from my ex ISP back in 2013. I mean, it's so old that company literally changed three times. ISP I got it from was bought by Telekom Austria. Then after a few years, there was migration of users to local ISP already owned by Telekom Austria company — Vipnet. And then two years ago, there was total rebranding of current ISP to A1, to match other ISP's under Telekom Austria group.

The router's brand is Telsey and the model is CPL7. You probably never heard for it; neither did I until I got it.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
It's the router I got from my ex ISP back in 2013. I mean, it's so old that company literally changed three times. ISP I got it from was bought by Telekom Austria. Then after a few years, there was migration of users to local ISP already owned by Telekom Austria company — Vipnet. And then two years ago, there was total rebranding of current ISP to A1, to match other ISP's under Telekom Austria group.

The router's brand is Telsey and the model CPL7. You probably never heard for it; neither did I until I got it.
You are right, I have never heard of them. The one router company I know uses miniUPnP is ASUS. If you use Merlin's firmware he keeps it up to date to the latest version at all times.

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
You are right, I have never heard of them. The one router company I know uses miniUPnP is ASUS. If you use Merlin's firmware he keeps it up to date to the latest version at all times.
I could ask my ISP for newer router, but this one still works fine except I get only half of internet speed via Wi-Fi. 😁

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I could ask my ISP for newer router, but this one still works fine except I get only half of internet speed via Wi-Fi. 😁
As long as the firmware is kept up to date it should be good. A lot of vendors abandon updating firmware and closing vulnerabilities rather quickly. You may want the new one just to make sure you are getting the latest firmware updates (especially if it's of no cost to you).

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
As long as the firmware is kept up to date it should be good. A lot of vendors abandon updating firmware and closing vulnerabilities rather quickly. You may want the new one just to make sure you are getting the latest firmware updates (especially if it's of no cost to you).
What firmware? Since I have this router, I haven't had updated it once. As a user, don't even have an option to update it. 😂

I had to literally dig the admin password in the router source code to access admin so I could change DNS servers. There is option for updating the firmware, but it can only be updated by loading file from computer. I honestly doubt there is any new firmware for this old router.

Most of these routers ISPs give us are garbage. I heard they got some new Huawei ones (which support 802.11ac dual-band Wi-Fi) and I'm still shocked.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Let's keep an MT secret! I once telneted into a WPS vulnerable wifi network and ran a rm -rf --no-preserve-root, then nobody else was able to connect including me but the SSID was still broadcasted, it was a fiberhome/ZTE ISP router (the ISP uses the same telnet passwords for all routers).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.