Thread author
heres my laptop specs
I can still upgrade the ram tho.

its used for gaming. Dell XPS 17 customized

specsj.jpg

P

Plexx

Thread author
my only problem is when i log into windows.
theres a vbs script that launches the hyperthread app from intel, but for some reason ever since i installed comodo, it takes tad a bit longer.

neverthess less than 10 secs to boot up or shut down:)

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Wow less than 10 seconds lol that would be nice to have :p and what do you use this for? gaming?

P

Plexx

Thread author
yeah online gaming (screenshot on the other thread will show some of the games installed), tho i got others that are single players and offline but they are not on the desktop as I hardly play them, depending on my mood.
I also use it to listen to music. the xps comes with JBL surround, that plus my skull candy hesh (couldnt be asked to buy Beats...), and occasional HD movies and series.

my friend recommended the alienware but specs for what i needed, xps was fine as long as i could customize. also alienware MX series the hot air comes from the bottom of the case, while the xps is a side out only and doesnt burn my legs, unlike my friend's mx17.

battery is a 9cell. disk storage aint much since i got 2 sata externals for backups and other stuff.

mind you the laptop does weigh quite a bit!

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Yea lol i bet it weights a bit :p and when i use to look at alienware and xps i found their specs to usually be quite close and xps was always cheaper :)

P

Plexx

Thread author
The G series didnt appeal me that much. design for one was ugly in my opinion. and while the last g series was ok, i prefer the sleek xps17 here

Compared to alienware, the xps is quite light. When I ordered the box was over 6kg.

Was a pain to get it to gib though. Had to ship to an UK address and from there get someone to bring it over. Still worth. Only 2 months old by the way. I see now that u can get 1TB HDD, but well as I had externals anyway it was ok. still expensive after getting to my liking....

ps: I kept the silver instead of a custom lid. however I did choose blacklit keyboard. Handy when I can't be asked to keep the room with much light...

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
you have a good laptop that can be ranked as high-end since the cpu is definitely high-end and the gpu is amoung the weakest high-end gpus. what temp is your i7-2720qm when the laptop is completely idle? is should be for about 40-50(max)C.

Regards

P

Plexx

Thread author
at the time of the screenshot i was running 2 games at the same time. both games on window mode 1600 reso, graphs pumped to high.
on idle or if im not running any game its between 40 to 46 degrees

if im running one window of the game, the i7 goes to 55/58degrees.

oh i did play around with the nvidia optimization.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
biozfear said:
at the time of the screenshot i was running 2 games at the same time. both games on window mode 1600 reso, graphs pumped to high.
on idle or if im not running any game its between 40 to 46 degrees

if im running one window of the game, the i7 goes to 55/58degrees.

oh i did play around with the nvidia optimization.

Then it's all good :) I know that hp, dell and many other put to much thermal past which can have bad side-effects.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
how much did you pay for it? I know dell are expensive and I am sure that it costed atleast 1000$

P

Plexx

Thread author
Valentin N said:
how much did you pay for it? I know dell are expensive and I am sure that it costed atleast 1000$

i ordered from uk. total of 1699 gbp.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
biozfear said:
Valentin N said:

i ordered from uk. total of 1699 gbp.

for next time I suggest clevo laptops; for that money you will get top high-end laptop and the laptops are really have good cooling system. I don't know but it could be worth for next time to order out of. I don't know what one is worth in $ but it you might benefit from that :)

P

Plexx

Thread author
1699GBP is more or less 2715USD

for what i need, it is fine atm. i can run 2 games + VMWARE with an additional game since some of the online games have a hacking protection so we cant dual client, and i only use dual client to use another account has storage (i dont justify in forking out 10USD just to have 6 extra bag spaces.... also i get bored of online games easily (give or take 5 months max))

i know dell are now including the next i7 than my model, tho its 2.3ghz per core instead of my 2.2. in US the dell is shipping the xps17 with 16gb ram... wish UK was doing the same.

i did consider the toshiba gaming laptop but well was unavailable in uk...

The GPU is a nice GPU tho alienware's Crossfire with 2 graphics card was a rather interesting option but... well alienware's problem is the overheating..... and im not a fan of the lights. im more miminalistic user! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.