Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I understand that the intrusion detection isn't helping much on 64 bit systems?
If so, would spyshelter free be a good complement?

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
It's kinda weird, I've heard from several people on MalwareTips even on max settings it doesn't work, so why implement it? Spyshelter is very good, not too sure whether it can replace (or is) a full HIP's i.e., Comodo. Very good question, the AV industry needs to answer and see if they can come together to better secure a 64 bit OS.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
It's kinda weird, I've heard from several people on MalwareTips even on max settings it doesn't work, so why implement it? Spyshelter is very good, not too sure whether it can replace (or is) a full HIP's i.e., Comodo. Very good question, the AV industry needs to answer and see if they can come together to better secure a 64 bit OS.
According to @hjlbx one of the AVs that don't seem to have problems with 64bits is Emsisoft.

I'm curious what the others are.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
It seems like you are Emsisoft biggest fan.
Yes and No.

Yes = Almost all my home's laptop and PC uses EAM/EIS (I have 5 Win10 home comp). I love those "install and forget" type for my family. Coupled with NVT ERP in Alert Mode and Adguard, they're are decently covered (I always told them, whatever alert you saw, just ignore and yes they don't download anything at all)
Credit to @Umbra for introducing Emsisoft brand. :D:D

No = I love to use those Security Software that allow me to play around and learn through experience with settings, I'm still using CIS + NVT + EMET config on my very old laptop running WIn 8.1.
Credit to @hjlbx for showing that CIS can do wonders if you are willing to learn the "Jedi" way.. :D:D

Anyway
I would suggest the OP to focus more on Intrusion Prevention features than Intrusion Detection. Detection is always one step behind prevention.;)

H

hjlbx

According to @hjlbx one of the AVs that don't seem to have problems with 64bits is Emsisoft.

I'm curious what the others are.

Emsisoft and COMODO - both work good on W8.1 64-bit.

Emsisoft on W10 64-bit.

I think everyone else is still trying to sort out problems & quirks on W10.

I use COMODO + Adguard + HMP.A on W8.1 64-bit.

Right now I use Proactive Security with minor setting tweaks and rules (Protected Objects).

If you want Intrusion Detection System on 64-bit, then I suggest Symantec Enterprise Protection.

H

hjlbx

SpyShelter - not all HIPS functions work on 64 bit systems; read their literature.

Kaspersky - not all HIPS functions work on 64 bit systems - but they have reduced the # that do not work; read their literature.

COMODO - All HIPS functions work on 64 bit systems.

Emsisoft - All BB (HIPS) functions work on 64 bit systems.

Bitdefender - Have to get a BD expert to answer this one.

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
Kaspersky - not all HIPS functions work on 64 bit systems - but they have reduced the # that do not work; read their literature.

So you are saying that Kaspersky 2016 products HIPs will not protect 64 bit OS systems?

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
emsisoft works well since they use x32 version of their services, but now since they are implementing a native support for x64 systems i cant really tell, bitdefender as well for me IDS just worked fine

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
maybe someone can tell me how bitdefender gets such high ratings if one of the modules doesn't even work on 64 bit PC, which most people have nowadays?
My guess is that their prevention rate is high enough to make up for the low detection rate

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
maybe someone can tell me how bitdefender gets such high ratings if one of the modules doesn't even work on 64 bit PC, which most people have nowadays?
My guess is that their prevention rate is high enough to make up for the low detection rate

Well, losing a battle doesn't mean losing a war. The same goes to security product as well.
All security products have their own flaws and all of them have something that make up to it. Hence, it is good to try out the product ourselves and to believe what others people review with a pinch of salt.

All I can say is that Bitdefender product by itself is very strong.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I am in fact quite happy with bitdefender 2016 total security, on windows 10 pro x64.
It doesn't interfere with the computer's functioning, it doesn't slow down the system, and it protects great.

H

hjlbx

So you are saying that Kaspersky 2016 products HIPs will not protect 64 bit OS systems?

In the User's Manual, Kaspersky openly states which HIPS functions do not work on 64-bit systems.

I am not saying Kaspersky will not protect a 64-bit system.

Kaspersky is a multi-layered security solution. Therefore, it would be likely to protect most any system against typical, run-of-the-mill malware.

Rare, advanced malware like fileless (memory-only) or Advanced Persistent Threats could be a problem - but then again - they are a problem for all security softs.

There is no such thing as an impenetrable IT fortress. If you pursue that goal then you will just drive yourself crazy for no reason...

Reactions: ZeroDay
H

hjlbx

I am in fact quite happy with bitdefender 2016 total security, on windows 10 pro x64.
It doesn't interfere with the computer's functioning, it doesn't slow down the system, and it protects great.

You are one of the lucky few... :D

Consider yourself "blessed." :p

Reactions: XhenEd and shmu26

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015

Have you try running other security with Bitdefender?

Last edited by a moderator:

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015

That's what I mean. Self-satisfaction. If you're ok and satisfied with what you run, then keep running it.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
You are one of the lucky few... :D

Consider yourself "blessed." :p

am i blessed too? since i am running bitdefender in 2 different pcs one running core i3 win 10 x64 and the other celeron b 800 x86 and in both systems bitdefender is running just perfect, actually i have noticed that they have improved their engine (memory usage, file reading etc)

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Have you try running other security with Bitdefender?
yes.
1 malwarebytes anti-exploit premium
In order to get bitdefender to work right with chrome, I had to uninstall MBAE, before installing bitdefender. After bitdefender was up and running, I reinstalled MBAE and all was well. (It was not sufficient to merely disable MBAE at startup.)

2 Spyshelter free
here I had a problem with the keystroke encryption mode. I was not able to type properly in chrome. Support said I probably have a password manager or a chrome add-on that is conflicting. I solved the problem by disabling hook guard, from the advanced settings of the keystroke encryption tab, and then rebooting. This is not a very secure solution, but it only affects keystroke encryption, which I don't really need anyway.

After all said, things are working very nicely.

Reactions: SloppyMcFloppy
H

hjlbx

am i blessed too? since i am running bitdefender in 2 different pcs one running core i3 win 10 x64 and the other celeron b 800 x86 and in both systems bitdefender is running just perfect, actually i have noticed that they have improved their engine (memory usage, file reading etc)

Yes @gricardo21, you are "blessed" too. :p

I genuinely like Bitdefender, but it has had issues that I personally find quite annoying... so I don't use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.