Bitdefender 2020 Released

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I'm very tempted to give this a try. If it's not buggy it seems to be a pretty good set and forget option for the family. Potentially better than Sophos, for a group of family computers. I like using ESET, but I'm not going to bother my wife messing with setting up HIPS on her computer.

Don't forget you can get a decent discount through TPSC's channel. He like his affiliate links.

Edit: Never mind, looks like his links are dead now.

The fact Bitdefender is mostly automated is why I have it on my father-in-law's computer. Good protection and a lot you can do remotely via Central... considering he lives around 1600 kilometers away from me and does not understand computers at all it's clear why these characteristics were interesting i)

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I'm very tempted to give this a try. If it's not buggy it seems to be a pretty good set and forget option for the family. Potentially better than Sophos, for a group of family computers. I like using ESET, but I'm not going to bother my wife messing with setting up HIPS on her computer.

Don't forget you can get a decent discount through TPSC's channel. He like his affiliate links.

Edit: Never mind, looks like his links are dead now.

Newegg has 2 year unlimited license for $39 or so..

My Panda Dome Advanced is running out for Friends/Family. Grabbing an unlimited Bit Defender 2020 and moving them to that. The timing couldn't have been better really. I rarely ever considered Bit Defender due to the bugs and hideous FWD. But none of that is present, and even with SG settings, Bit Defender 2020 is going to be better for Friends/Family.

Not convinced for myself yet. I am moving more towards a complete default-deny setup for person rigs so it's probably not relevant for me. But something to consider for others I guess.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I still see the software is signature-dependant. They refuse to add any kind of application control module or similar. Would you pair it up with anything or do you guys think it's alright?

It isnt signature dependant, it has an automatic behavior blocker similar to Kaspersky System Watcher called Advanced Threat Defense, no need to pair with anything extra.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I suppose pairing it with Syshardener wouldn't harm anything.

Then don't use Chrome (Just advice, I predict more will come out later, Chrome has some CVE's flooding in but there is one particular bypass not being discussed much, except on bleeping) and your systems should be very well protected from almost anything out there that isn't directly targeting you.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
It isnt signature dependant, it has an automatic behavior blocker similar to Kaspersky System Watcher called Advanced Threat Defense, no need to pair with anything extra.
Well, almost every AV has a behaviour blocker, that doesn't make it less signature-dependant. I use Kaspersky because of its Application Control. When I use ESET i feel I need to pair it at least with VoodooShield to have some kind of toggle to avoid auto-execution of payloads or malware spreading. A behaviour blocker doesn't offer me that, it can fail at anytime.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Well i tried installing the Bitdefender 2020 version, and a total fail.
First all kinds of errors when creating a account, java script errors terminating the program.
Then next try, finally made an account and the nice error of " Error connecting to server " and program terminated.

Still the same problems i had a few years back. Other AV install without any problems.

For me it is still Bugdefender !

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
How it is now with CPU, Boot Time and RAM Usage when BD is installed? Can someone show me a screenshot or something?
1563803863011.png

I feel no impact on the boot time. I reciently uninstalled Kaspersky and it even boots faster. On idle, these are the spawned processes and I don't notice any performance issues.

I used to have this major problem with BitDefender trying to update definitions. 8 out of 10 times it would drastically fail to update, not me nor the support could fix. Sees to be solved in this version.

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Well, this is interesting. I reciently installed BitDefender Total Security 2020 and tweaked it for my liking. I performed a full scan of the system, and this came out:

1563806755698.png

The name scares me a bit I must admit, nevertheless I uploaded it to VT and it threw 0 detections, not even BitDefender LOL! This is really weird, since not only BD doesn't detect it on VT, plus Kaspersky never did. It's probably a false positive, nevertheless I'll try investigate a bit further...

F

ForgottenSeer 67480

Well, this is interesting. I reciently installed BitDefender Total Security 2020 and tweaked it for my liking. I performed a full scan of the system, and this came out:

View attachment 217249

The name scares me a bit I must admit, nevertheless I uploaded it to VT and it threw 0 detections, not even BitDefender LOL! This is really weird, since not only BD doesn't detect it on VT, plus Kaspersky never did. It's probably a false positive, nevertheless I'll try investigate a bit further...
I think It's just a false positive, but just in case try scan this file with other scanner like: HitmanPro, because files with strange names can be considered as a virus activity.

Reactions: oldschool

cătălin

Level 1
Verified
Jun 21, 2018
First all kinds of errors when creating a account, java script errors terminating the program.
Then next try, finally made an account and the nice error of " Error connecting to server " and program terminated.

Still the same problems i had a few years back. Other AV install without any problems.

Maybe you should clean your house. I did not have such problems with installing the software.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

It sounds like the system in question has many issues not even related to, or the responsibility of Bit Defender.

I've now swapped a fair portion of family/friends over to Bit Defender (Unlimited Devices, 2 years, $39). About a dozen machines and 5-6 phones have it now and so far no issues on install and no operational issues over the last few days. Everything looks good.

F

ForgottenSeer 67480

Well, i checked 2020 version and boot time is much better, but RAM Usage after scanning not surprising me. Before this i had 38% used RAM, after scanning: 59%. It's too much. Developers must work on it to make a product better.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.