RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Going for other AV ?
Yes, and no. My BitDefender license covers up to 10 devices! Secondary devices still are using BitDefender since performance and protection is good! But unfortunately, I'm very pretencious with my main laptop security, and the fact that the product doesn't offer any kind of Application Control or anti-executable module, made me go back to Kaspersky. Only on my main system though. I wouldn't want to throw ERP or VS over a whole suite like BTS2020. I'm more comfortable with KIS2020 in this case.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

It is not hard to make a quality uninstaller. I used to program scripts for them a long time ago with WISE Installer. It just takes patience, testing, and then beta testing under a variety of conditions. Most just utilize an auto-generation system with modern uninstallers that follow the installation then create the script. This doesn't work well. Those scripts need to be manually tuned and tested.

To me, the sign of a good company and good program is often how well it removes itself.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Well, I'm back to using KIS. BDTS was perfectly fine and it has definitely improved a lot especially regarding performance. I just prefer the protection offered by KIS. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend BDTS if someone asked if I rated it it's just not for me.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
It is not hard to make a quality uninstaller. I used to program scripts for them a long time ago with WISE Installer. It just takes patience, testing, and then beta testing under a variety of conditions. Most just utilize an auto-generation system with modern uninstallers that follow the installation then create the script. This doesn't work well. Those scripts need to be manually tuned and tested.

To me, the sign of a good company and good program is often how well it removes itself.
I guess it is not about incompetence to code a proper uninstaller, but a desperate try to leave some remains that ensure they can get easily installed again.
Well, I'm back to using KIS. BDTS was perfectly fine and it has definitely improved a lot especially regarding performance. I just prefer the protection offered by KIS. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend BDTS if someone asked if I rated it it's just not for me.
This.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I find it perfect for friends and family. Also their Android product is very very good. The $39 for 2 years, unlimited devices was hard to pass up since Panda Dome Advanced was expiring. So far so good.

Me personally? I don't use it. I use default deny, group policies and SRP/Anti-Exe technology to keep the endpoints safe so I don't need a suite and good ole' Gryphon is sitting on the wan with aggressive configuration (and ESET). But it would be miserable for me to do that to family/friend systems so BD2020 works perfectly fine for them. Also I have convinced most of them to get a Gryphon, and the net result is, I don't need to do anymore malware removals, ever. (it used to be a monthly thing)

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I find it perfect for friends and family. Also their Android product is very very good. The $39 for 2 years, unlimited devices was hard to pass up since Panda Dome Advanced was expiring. So far so good.

Me personally? I don't use it. I use default deny, group policies and SRP/Anti-Exe technology to keep the endpoints safe so I don't need a suite and good ole' Gryphon is sitting on the wan with aggressive configuration (and ESET). But it would be miserable for me to do that to family/friend systems so BD2020 works perfectly fine for them. Also I have convinced most of them to get a Gryphon, and the net result is, I don't need to do anymore malware removals, ever. (it used to be a monthly thing)
I'd reccomend BDTS to friends and family too. It ran great for me and it seems like the perfect solution for the none tech savvy users. The fact it is fully automated is a bonus in that regard. I think it offers solid security for the everyday user without any inconveniences. Plus theres the VPN, system clean up tools etc. I, like many other users setup a separate VON etc. But, for regular users everything they need is right there in the BD UI isn't it. And, the phishing protection seems awesome which is a feature that will be extremely useful for regular users. I like the product. My main system is locked down tight, but on my day to day system I just use KIS, some SRP and a few other tweaks and call it a day.

Are Gryphon routers accessible in the UK? I'm looking for a little bit of extra security at the network level mainly for my family members who are also connected to the same network. I was trying to find a Bloksi router in the UK but they don't seem to be available. I've got a PI-Hole system set up. The network protection is mainly just to keep my non tech savvy family safer, and if it offers me extra protection too then that's a bonus.

I am considering setting up a hardware firewall again. It's been a while since I've used one, but at the moment I came decide between building the hardware myself and using a free firewall installation or just buying one all ready set up and configured so I've got minimal set up when it arrives. I'm setting up a home server to use my own cloud storage and making sure theres plenty of room for my family members to use it as their default cloud storage instead of using Google drive, one drive etc. And I'm considering setting up my own VPN and SearX instance. So, a reasonably priced hardware firewall is my next purchase. Either that or I'll build one. I think I'd be better off just buying one though. I just can't make my mind up between purchasing one or building one.

But back on topic - BD is a very nice product for friends and family I agree completely on that. It doesnt give them any headaches, it stays completely out of their way, offers solid protection, has a VPN that's easy enough for them to use and, has awesome phishing protection.

It's a solid well balanced and silent product that I'd reccomend to regular users without hesitation.

I reccomend it to my neighbours teenage son who's a bit of a tech geek but he said he doesn't need protection he's learning to be a hacker lol. He even asked if I'd mind if he tried breaching my network and systems. I told him to knock himself out. I've never seen a kid so excited lol.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Now KIS has gone too lol. Just reinstalled Windows and I'm in the process of locking it down using only Windows security + VS + Network level security. No Google Chrome just Edge Dev. BD Trafficlight will be used though. I've also just recommended BDTS 2020 to a friend who's installed the trial on his Windows machine, I think he's putting the Mac version on his 2 kids Macbooks too.

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Now KIS has gone too lol. Just reinstalled Windows and I'm in the process of locking it down using only Windows security + VS + Network level security. No Google Chrome just Edge Dev. BD Trafficlight will be used though. I've also just recommended BDTS 2020 to a friend who's installed the trial on his Windows machine, I think he's putting the Mac version on his 2 kids Macbooks too.
In Windows 10, the default security settings are good. Just use configure defender to set WD to MAX settings and use the firewall hardening tool to block the LoLbins. You may add VS to the mix but I find it unnecessary with the above configuration.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
In Windows 10, the default security settings are good. Just use configure defender to set WD to MAX settings and use the firewall hardening tool to block the LoLbins. You may add VS to the mix but I find it unnecessary with the above configuration.
I just use GPE to configure Microsoft defender, but I have got the settings maxed out. Added SRP, SUA and a few other system tweaks, plus some disabled services. I'm keeping third party software to a bare minimum so I'm using Edge dev instead of Chrome too. My system is running very nicely. I have used AndyFul'd HC to save some time and it's a great piece of software.

Sorry I've gone way off topic here. When My setup is complete including my hardware security that I ordered about an hour ish ago arrives I'll update my way out of date security config.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
1567653991842.png

It's on sale right now.

Not sure if this is a good sale, as I have not purchased Bitdefender.

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015

I agree. I keep going back to KTS. It is just a more complete package where everything actually works.

amir 957

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Hi there
I have installed Bitdefnder total security 2020 on my PC today and wow
it's very light on my pc, i can say it's as light as Eset !(at least on my machine)
i used to know bitdefender as a buggy software , i had tried previous versions and they all were buggy, but this version, so far so good!
and there is no doubt that BD is one of the top players in the industry
so give the 2020 version a try, i guess you will rethink about BD products;)

Last edited:

IkariGradius

Level 2
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
Hi there
I have installed Bitdefnder total security 2020 on my PC today and wow
it's very light on my pc, i can say it's as light as Eset !(at least on my machine)
i used to know bitdefender as a buggy software , i had tried previous versions and they all were buggy, but this version, so far so good!
and there is no doubt that BD is one of the top players in the industry
so give the 2020 version a try, i guess you will rethink about BD products;)

Same here. It's been years they've had heavy or buggy software, but with the 2020 version they've definitely changed the core engine or something. I've trialed it for a month and had no issues.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.