Advice Request Bitdefender Anti-Ransomware: How compatible and effective it is?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Stated on their website:
Bitdefender Anti-Ransomware prevents the following families of ransomware from encrypting your files: CTB-Locker, Locky, Pertya, and TeslaCrypt. Bitdefender cannot guarantee the effectiveness of the tool against different strains of ransomware, nor be held liable for the loss of sensitive data.
Bitdefender Anti-Ransomware acts as a vaccination tool and does not offer proactive, zero-day protection like that found in commercial Bitdefender products.
Bitdefender Anti-Ransomware is included in Bitdefender 2016 and later, but is also available as a standalone download.

Although Bitdefender cannot guarantee it's effective against new ransomware, has anyone been able to test it against various (past and present) Ransomware strains?
Also how compatible is it with existing non-Bitdefender security products?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I briefly tested this application against ransomware variants they claim to protect (CTB-Locker, Locky, Petya and TeslaCrypt)
I tested everything except CTB locker, both new samples and very old samples (2014) of the same class

efficacy: 0%
Do not use this application in all cases because it is an abandonware and not updated long ago

checkMAL appcheck is so much better

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Stated on their website....
Bitdefender Anti-Ransomware is included in Bitdefender 2016 and later, but is also available as a standalone download.
The BD ARW isn't exactly included as a component in the BD commercial family, that's quite limited protection with less models of RW protection.
BTS for example, includes a special AI based (this is what they say) Anti-ransomware module that aggressively blocks any RW related activity (quite advanced and bigger domain of protection than BD ARW).
It's as much of headache as awesome it sounds! In less than 2 weeks of my testing, I observed more than 10 FPs on some common s/w (including WAMPserver etc.). That was by the anti-RW module and not ACT.
Yet it was quite impressive if FPs are ignored.

Although Bitdefender cannot guarantee it's effective against new ransomware, has anyone been able to test it against various (past and present) Ransomware strains?
Also how compatible is it with existing non-Bitdefender security products?
Though I haven't tested it, I have read a text review that wasn't impressive.
There are some videos on Youtube demonstrating some RW strains being executed against the BD ARW and it failed terribly in quite some cases.
I'd bet on some better protection against RW.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I tested this one months ago with a week old Ransomware #5 (MT Hub), FAILED!. Haven't tested it again. Won't recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.