BitDefender Email Scanning Mechanism? Performance Issues w/ email Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecommissar

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 10, 2016
My email client, desktop program PostBox (for Win) has been slowed since I installed BD TS2016 (I'm quite sure this is the reason as it was very fast before, and slowed immediately after...)

I also run WebRoot AV (which does not scan email as per their documentation) and HitmanAlertPro (which could also be affecting my email client, but I uninstalled it to test this somewhat small chance given its just an anti-exploit, and it doesn't seem to have affected it, the client is still slow).

1. I would LIKE BD to scan my email as of course having AV w/o scanning email could in many ways be pointless given email can be a deadly vector for heavy malware.

2. But I don't want my client to be slow. It's not horrible, and I suppose I could tolerate it (basically deleting messages, loading new messages, and the program responsiveness overall, is a bit sluggish compared with its normal instantaneous response)

3. Is there a way to configure email scanning differently? Or should the program NOT be slowing my client noticeably in general, and is this behavior indicative of something being wrong?

I'm sure BD users will be able to comment on whether it slows their email or not given they use a desktop client like Outlook, Postbox, Thunderbird, etc.

Thanks!

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
In the past I used BD TS exclusively with OutLook as my e-mail client and had no such issues, have you tried, or open to try switching clients to see if it's something about Postbox that BD TS disagrees with ?
do let us know what you discover either way.
Thanks for sharing :)
PeAcE

thecommissar

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 10, 2016
Ah ok that's good to know. If the program doesn't slow Outlook client its possible that there's something specific about PostBox... or perhaps its something else entirely.

Still I have been told, I think it was on the BD forums, that scanning email can in general (as one might expect) impose a performance penalty on the email client, so it's possibly just an unavoidable tradeoff, so I'm allowing for that also. I will see if I can try an alternate client to test it.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
If it's not freezing, or hanging badly I would just wait it out.
It is interesting though, trying another client for a comparison would give you some good insight though.
PeAcE

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.