Bitdefender Firewall is it any good?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Bitdefender Firewall tends to improve by enhancing the module from Windows therefore the developer didn't create a unique firewall on their own.

It doesn't mean bad at all, but rather little flexible on configuring the inbound and outbound connection.

Klappis

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 15, 2014
Bitdefender Firewall tends to improve by enhancing the module from Windows therefore the developer didn't create a unique firewall on their own.

It doesn't mean bad at all, but rather little flexible on configuring the inbound and outbound connection.

Thanks! Although i didn't find it particularly configurable last time i used it. I think i run with Windows firewall instead.

H

hjlbx

Why would i want it over Windows firewall? Is there any benefits?

Bitdefender includes intrusion detection system. It is not as configurable as some firewalls, but in all reality it need not be. If you want firewall alerts then you have enable Paranoid Mode.

If you stay in Auto Pilot mode, then the Bitdefender firewall take action for the user without user input. By default, Bitdefender firewall allows network access until it detects malicious activity, then it blocks offending file network access.

Creating complicated firewall rules adds nothing to overall security. You either trust and allow a program or you do not trust a file and block it. Restricting access to certain IP addresses, protocols, etc really doesn't do much to protect your system.

The most sophisticated malware have been shown to bypass any firewall, but the likelihood that you will encounter the top 1 % of malware is extremely unlikely.

Bitdefender's firewall is one of the better ones.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.