Battle Bitdefender Free 2019 or McAfee Internet Security 2019?

StrikeFIN

Level 2
Verified
Dec 15, 2017
Bitdefender Free, because simple "install and forget" style, doesn't have to tweak all around like with most AVs.

Awesome detection rates (uses same database as paid versions)

And unlike most other free AVs, BD free doesn't have ads.

And what is the point to compare security suite vs free product?

Brie

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
And what is the point to compare security suite vs free product?
i can get mcafee internet security free in a giveaway, but bitdefender free + comodo firewall + traffic light + emsisoft browser security web filters may have better detection rates.

Thank you for your input. :giggle:

Reactions: Burrito

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
i can get mcafee internet security free in a giveaway, but bitdefender free + comodo firewall + traffic light + emsisoft browser security web filters may have better detection rates.

Thank you for your input. :giggle:

Smart move Brie.

There are actually three different ways I can get McAfee free. I'd rather pay than use McAfee.

I recently purchased a computer and got this email, I'm happy to give this license to anybody who would like it. I may have two of these..

1546269497949.png

Just PM me.

Your Best Buddy,

-Big Burrito

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Only people who know can make a balanced suite with free programs.
And what is the point to compare the security suite with the free product?
Simple. Ask Bitdefender to give you Bitdender Secuirity and they will tell you to buy.
The free products are delivered so that after the user can buy the other payment solutions, only marketing. Also many free products do not update as often as the payment.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Only people who know can make a balanced suite with free programs.
And what is the point to compare the security suite with the free product?
Simple. Ask Bitdefender to give you Bitdender Secuirity and they will tell you to buy.
The free products are delivered so that after the user can buy the other payment solutions, only marketing. Also many free products do not update as often as the payment.
That's one of the reasons I'm using Windows Defender - while arguably not the strongest free AV, it's for sure the less annoying one and the only one who doesn't have a marketing reason behind it.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
Neither of these 2 options work for me. McAfee needs to regain my trust. I won't install it on my PCs. Now BDTS 2019 is an awful security suite buggy and takes a long time to download those additional utilities that for some are not packaged & downloaded with the setup files by the setup stub.

Have 2 BD licenses...one Family and Total Security both wasted. I fail to understand how this awful software makes it to the top of the heap in recommended AV solutions. I'd rather go with Norton, Kaspersky (both worked very well for me in the past) or even Plain Jane WD which I am currently using along with MBAM.

jackwilli

Level 3
Verified
Jan 1, 2019
mcafee came preinstalled on my laptop as i remember in most forums it is said to avoid it but after linking with intel they have improved mcafee internet security. it is now lighter and better. but not consistent in protection.

Reactions: oldschool

jtshadow92

Level 2
Verified
Jul 17, 2015
Mc afee relies on signatures ..that's it ! It is not recommended suite in my opinion
BD Free is much better, reliable , stronger than Mc Afee.
Real protect doesn't work, if a signature is not available then system is hijacked .
Mc Afee is a poisonous malware in my opinion..installing it = Infecting the system for Free.
Rest left to You
I'm pretty sure McAfee has integrated cloud protection into their suite, which has made it much lighter and have a better detection rate.

dash

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 15, 2018
I recently tried both BitDefender Free and McAfee (Total Something?) and neither lasted more than a few minutes on my machine so I can't really say (I didn't like either). But if I had to choose, the BD setup sounded better than the McAfee suite.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.