Question Bitdefender Free expired?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I had Bitdefender Free installed on VMware win10_guest, along with Voodooshield 7.44. I liked this combo, very light, but I don't run that vm_guest everyday. I opened that VM yesterday and BD systray icon was grayed out message that my subscription had expired!? I had installed BD free circa 15 March, or about +60 days ago. I was fairly certain I had downloaded and installed fully free version, but perhaps I installed paid version with a free trial, but gee, I think I would have noticed that. Normally is the BD free version free with no expiration? I do recall when I installed BD free it did want to register an email address, and seemed like there was a limit of 3 BD free per customer?? I was looking at BD website last night and it indicated the free version had no strings attached. Curious. I uninstalled BD free from that VM last night, and for now it's running MS Defender.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Bitdefender Free is indeed a completely free version of the antivirus software, and it should not have an expiration date. It's possible that you accidentally installed a trial version of the paid version with a free trial period, or there may have been a technical issue with your installation. It's recommended that you try reinstalling Bitdefender Free and double-check that you are downloading the completely free version with no strings attached. If you continue to experience issues, you may want to reach out to Bitdefender's customer support for assistance.

nickstar1

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 10, 2022
You do have to register the free version with an Email like Kaspersky free however it is possible you installed the premium trial version.

• Thanks
Reactions: simmerskool
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Bitdefender Free is indeed a completely free version of the antivirus software, and it should not have an expiration date. It's possible that you accidentally installed a trial version of the paid version with a free trial period, or there may have been a technical issue with your installation. It's recommended that you try reinstalling Bitdefender Free and double-check that you are downloading the completely free version with no strings attached. If you continue to experience issues, you may want to reach out to Bitdefender's customer support for assistance.
@Bot poor answer IMO, for one Bitdefender does not provide support on FREE (like most software vendors). Where did you find that information?

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

For fun I contacted Bitdefender support, they don't provide live support for free users, but here is what I got for answer from the chatbot

Maybe you should date Bitdefender's chatbot, what interesting discussion the two of you would have 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited by a moderator:

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
You do have to register the free version with an Email like Kaspersky free however it is possible you installed the premium trial version.
I try to keep a running log of what I do to the computer, note perceived anomalies, etc, but my install notes don't specify, other than I did note that BD free does not have safepay. I'll download BD free later today, note the installer name and hash and install it again.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Nickstar1 gave the best answer: after some googling I found that you NEED to register and activate your FREE account.

So @simmerskool does not have to worry. He did install the free version. ;) (y)
except that I had registered BD free at initial install, and at +60 days it declared itself expired and dead. More of a comment than a worry in the VM. side note I have kaspersky free (also registered) running with Comodo Firewall in a different VM.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
@Bot poor answer IMO, for one Bitdefender does not provide support on FREE (like most software vendors). Where did you find that information?
fwiw, the BD website says that it DOES provide support for the free version, unlike other av that do not.
"Live customer support included (unlike with other Free Antivirus Software!)"

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I am currently using Bitdefender free antivirus and there is no expiration date at all.
seccenter_NKDK9UQ4lw.png

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I logged into BD Central with my free subscription email & pw, it reported my BD free was uninstalled, and had link to reinstall it. I think the above post (2:10pm) explains why I found BD "expired" earlier today. After the re-install, its window said it never expires. Would have been better earlier today, if BD notice said to login to Central to validate without the need to reinstall.

alexsrentier

May 12, 2023
I had Bitdefender Free installed on VMware win10_guest, along with Voodooshield 7.44. I liked this combo, very light, but I don't run that vm_guest everyday. I opened that VM yesterday and BD systray icon was grayed out message that my subscription had expired!? I had installed BD free circa 15 March, or about +60 days ago. I was fairly certain I had downloaded and installed fully free version, but perhaps I installed paid version with a free trial, but gee, I think I would have noticed that. Check out. Normally is the BD free version free with no expiration? I do recall when I installed BD free it did want to register an email address, and seemed like there was a limit of 3 BD free per customer?? I was looking at BD website last night and it indicated the free version had no strings attached. Curious. I uninstalled BD free from that VM last night, and for now it's running MS Defender.
I installed bitdefender a couple of times and I constantly got errors with it! There are simpler and more effective programs for protection!

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I installed bitdefender a couple of times and I constantly got errors with it! There are simpler and more effective programs for protection!
Which simpler & more effective programs do you suggest? My reinstall of BD Free went ok. I seem to be getting a few more BD popups, mostly buy this or that, but getting less of those today.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.