New Update Bitdefender Free Antivirus is back

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Of course, true. But doesn't mean it's still available even in this new free version. Homepage shows only "Antivirus => OnAccess Scan" that may includes also Advanced Threat Defense.
It is available, just checked. (y)

Screenshot 2022-03-18 113207.png

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I also checked it out. What Bitdefender free page shows about features being available on the free version is available on it.
The UI is similar to Kaspersky Free in a sense that paid feature settings are visible but locked. The installer is the same as the paid one. It downloads everything. Even features that are not available. Previous BD free only downloaded features that were available to it. So clearly this BD free is a rushed decision.
On access protection, web protection, behavior blocker, exploit protection are mainly the features available on this. But sadly, like the previous BD free, AMSI integration is not present. As shown by @SecureKongo above, Scan script feature is locked. This one is BD's AMSI integration. Scripts will still be scanned and detected, but the lack of AMSI should mean lower protection. But then again, I found this to be disabled by default even in the paid products the last time I tested. So..... 🤔
It's tough to compete against Avast/AVG and Kaspersky free in terms of features.
1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png6.png

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
@Shadowra - I can't wait to see how Bitdefender Free and Kaspersky Free (I know you said you would do one) will perform in your tests, of course to be conclusive it would be ideal with the same tests and samples.(y)

If you want me to use the same samples, I have to test both Antivirus today.
(It can be done, but the release of Kaspersky will be Tuesday, just that I can run the test today)

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
YES! Finally. People will be able to test the true capabilities of BitDefender, for free. No excuses now to say "Bitdefender is so heavyyyy noooo, don't use it!!".

Since it's basically a brand new product, and uses the same technology as the paid version (but with less modules), hopefully all the previous Free Edition bugs are gone.

Let's go for it!

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@harlan4096 A new candidate for testing in the HUB?

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I remember the old BD Free pretty much stayed out of the way and had no nagging offers to buy the paid versions. It was basically set and forget. I wonder if this new version is the same.

I also see what they are doing with the locked out features on the new free GUI. They are trying to show what you are missing out on by not being a paid subscriber. Can't really blame BD for trying to get sales but hopefully they will not get too agressive about it.

C.H.

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Hi The free version is the same as the paid just with the other parts locked.I see one thing both paid and free take the same ram,I'll pass . If anyone would like to trade a bitdefender paid account for a voodoo account,I am looking for a voodoo account and would trade my Bitdefender account for voodoo.Please get in touch by pm.Thks

Last edited:
L

Local Host

YES! Finally. People will be able to test the true capabilities of BitDefender, for free. No excuses now to say "Bitdefender is so heavyyyy noooo, don't use it!!".

Since it's basically a brand new product, and uses the same technology as the paid version (but with less modules), hopefully all the previous Free Edition bugs are gone.

Let's go for it!
But BitDefender is still heavy and buggy in comparison to the competition, not counting MalwareBytes and Microsoft Defender.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.