UwKhKEW (1).jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 648

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
Exclusive, top-of-the-heap defense

Bitdefender uses its own proprietary technologies, while also improving on basic ones which it then integrates for maximum protection.

Real-time Shield - The real time shield is designed to protect access to the entire system. This means that files are scanned as they are accessed or copied. For example, the files you just downloaded from the Internet are scanned immediately.

Active Virus Control - Active Virus Control is an innovative proactive detection technology that is able to detect new potential threats for which default protection has not yet been released, very fast and accurately, thus providing an essential protection layer.

Intrusion Detection System - This technology makes sure that applications trying to access the Internet or the network are not masked e-threats, by marking them whenever its behavior is suspect and by stopping them if the score becomes high.

B-Have - B-HAVE proactively detects unknown threats that other products miss by analyzing applications behavior in a safe environment. If no malicious actions are detected, B-HAVE starts the program normally; otherwise, it will automatically quarantine or delete it.

HTTP Scanning - Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition also scans all the links you are accessing from your browser, checking them for various scams or credit card phishing attempts and blocking them when they are unsafe.

Anti-rootkit - This technology is used to scan and block rootkits, a stealthy type of software, often malicious, designed to hide the existence of certain processes or programs from normal methods of detection and enable continued privileged access to a computer.

Light. Automatic.

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition uses an intelligent mechanism which can automatically take the optimum decisions to keep the defense levels high, in a manner that also avoids slowdowns.

Early Boot Scanning - This technology ensures that the system is being scanned at boot time as soon as all critical services are loaded. The scope of early boot is to improve virus detection at system startup, while improving boot time also.

Auto Scan - This technology offers a huge save in time and effort spent on scanning, by avoiding redundant actions and focusing efforts only on risky areas. Auto Scan uses confidential rules, proprietary to Bitdefender.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
Looked on their forums, Softpedia, DownloadCrew, must not have the changelogs released yet.

I3rYcE

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 4, 2011
DrBeenGolfing said:
Looked on their forums, Softpedia, DownloadCrew, must not have the changelogs released yet.

Ok, i will look it .

G

Guest28

I can tell you this. They, have much improved the web guard it blocked everything i put against it. Stuff even avast missed. But with such an aggressive web guard i wonder what the false positive rate is

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Just wondering if the free edition would work with Emsisoft & Comodo Firewall?Trying to increase my layering of
security?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You may use Comodo Firewall alongside with Bitdefender free since its a pure engine based cloud protection.

For Emsisoft seems maybe an overkill there as two combination is enough tough.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
Moose said:
Just wondering if the free edition would work with Emsisoft & Comodo Firewall?Trying to increase my layering of
security?
Keep in mind Bitdefender Free has behaviour blocker/hips type protection built in.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
Y7FWBYJ.png
[/img]
ryan said:
I can tell you this. They, have much improved the web guard it blocked everything i put against it. Stuff even avast missed. But with such an aggressive web guard i wonder what the false positive rate is

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Have they added an option that will let you exclude folders, files or certain external storage drives?

I remember when I tried it that missing feature was a big weak point to me.

Syntax

Level 1
Feb 4, 2012
MrXidus said:
Have they added an option that will let you exclude folders, files or certain external storage drives?

I remember when I tried it that missing feature was a big weak point to me.

I'd like to hear the answer to that. I'm still stucked at the older version (1.0.14.889). :(

BDAV free has now a restore function but the exclusion is still unknown.

Edit: Restoring a file will automatically exclude the file from the scan. confirmed via wilders

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Date: 05.14.2013

Affected software:

- Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition

Localization: EN;

Version: 1.015.946

Platform: x86, x64

- http - continue anyway message in a blocked webpage;
- improvements made to Quarantine module: restore/exclude quarantined items;
- fixed some issues with Windows 8 logon;
- fixed incompatibility with a 3rd party firewall;
- new drivers: gzflt, avc3, bdfwfpf;
- boot scanning is performed on a full partition on demand and quick sweep;
- added texts for Laptop Mode;
- cleaning system task;
- Threat Control replaced the following tabs: Pending Cleanup and Quarantined Files;
- update performed each hour;
- scan improvements on Windows 8;

Source

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
jamescv7 said:

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition

So you can't exclude an item unless it has already been quarantined? Making you restore it?

Would be great if someone that has the latest version of BitDefender Antivirus Free Edition can verify the exclusion options.

Thanks.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
MrXidus said:
jamescv7 said:

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition

So you can't exclude an item unless it has already been quarantined? Making you restore it?

Would be great if someone that has the latest version of BitDefender Antivirus Free Edition can verify the exclusion options.

Thanks.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=338408&page=76

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
It looks like they have fixed most of the problems with it.
The quarantine features seems to work but can you exclude files to keep them from automatically getting quarantine again?

The http proxy blocker allows you to continue in case of false positives now, that was a problem I experienced that effected several safe websites, back when I tried it. Maybe it is more useable now.

Possibly could be a good product if they continue to work on it.
They have did a good job so far but it took awhile.

Thanks.:D

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
Littlebits said:
It looks like they have fixed most of the problems with it.
The quarantine features seems to work but can you exclude files to keep them from automatically getting quarantine again?

The http proxy blocker allows you to continue in case of false positives now, that was a problem I experienced that effected several safe websites, back when I tried it. Maybe it is more useable now.

Possibly could be a good product if they continue to work on it.
They have did a good job so far but it took awhile.

Thanks.:D

After you restore a file from quarantine, it will not be scaned again. Sort of whitelists or excludes it.

AV Expert Join Date: Mar 2011

Default Re: Bitdefender Antivirus Free - English GUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmax2010
"Does the restore function automatically exclude the file from being removed again?"

In addition to AVushan's confirmation, i'll add some info regarding the new Threat Control:

TC is unifying both AV and AVC infections/threats + exclusions on the items that the user decided/considered that are FalsePositive

For a better user experience, if a process is Unblocked from AVC, it will also be automatically excluded from AV scan; and vice-versa
Our approach was to minimize the UI: just a Delete All Quar button, right-click for per-item actions, no Restore all button, no Exclude all button, no Remove all exclusions etc." - This from the Project Manager at Bitdefender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.