Battle Bitdefender Free vs. Avast Free vs AVG Free vs Panda Free

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Hello!

I have tried AVAST Free before (before acquiring AVG), AVG Free(before being bought by AVAST) and Panda Free. I was never infected because I am a careful user.
Now I am using Bitdefender Free and found it to be strong in protection and light. However, it becomes suddenly heavy and stalls my old netbook when it finds malware to clean. Also, even if I turn off its shield, its AVC will still take action - this irritates me so much (Sometimes even if exclusions have been set.)
What free antivirus could you advise which is light and effective, even those not included in the list? thanks.
Running Windows 10, Creators Update

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I read in some articles before that in many AV today, the two that respect most your privacy are:

Emsisoft and Avast.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I read Panda and Avira had most user respect in their privacy policy (yrs 2010-15) I haven't checked recently though.

Reactions: Weebarra

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Right now I am using:

AVAST Internet Security 2017.

I got a license which will expire on April 2028 - 11 years of free use! Though I did not install many features, but only opt for Ransomware protection, Real Sites, Sandbox, and Firewall.

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Kaspersky Free lacks behavior blocker
Thats not always a bad issue, KFA is connected to KSN which is connected with the system watcher from paid products, so in other words as long you are not the first one to be infected you receive immidiatly protection via the cloud (ksn)... so it will protect you without the need of a BB. ;)
Now i'm using BD free but i think maybe i will switch to KFA once it is available in my native language. (already tested the english version and its realy good)

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
Bitdefender Free: it's cut down version, having basically the signatures of BD paid. It has very few customisation options. It is more lightweight, but sometimes a bit buggy, like an unfinished project.
Avast Free: multiple layers of protection, including a behaviour blocker and several options available to tweak. It's my option on the free side.
AVG: almost as good as Avast. But it comes bloated with cleaning tools and more naggings.
Panda Free: never used, but the results on the reviews out there shows poor protection.

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Bitdefender free + bitdefender trafficlight
Bitdefender Free already includes the same malicious website blocking that TrafficLight offers.

I read in some articles before that in many AV today, the two that respect most your privacy are:

Emsisoft and Avast.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Avast collects anonymized browsing and search history which is sold to third parties (advertisers) to make money from their free offering.
They also collect an extensive amount of machine & personal information for all their products.

Kaspersky and all other av use poor scanning engines.
Kaspersky Free uses the same signature engine as its paid-for offerings.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
In free products, Avast is the best choice. No other free antiviruses offer more protection and customizations than Avast.

Yes, correct... but maybe 360 Total Security will be a competition for Avast, for it has many features (some are bloat) and customizations. But 360 will not be able to compete toe-to-toe with Avast I think.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Yes, correct... but maybe 360 Total Security will be a competition for Avast, for it has many features (some are bloat) and customizations. But 360 will not be able to compete toe-to-toe with Avast I think.
Qihoo360 has delayed signatures for avira and epsecially BD + its cloud engine is really poor. I'm talking about the detection rate against new malwares. With all 3 engines enabled, the detection rate is nowhere near the other competitors
moreover, the behavior blocker is also really poor which makes 360 infected almost everytime it was tested in malwarehub. It's only good against ransomwares due to its HIPS. This is my observation with my own testing
qihoo is never my option to use alone as an AV. It must be combined with other products like anti-exe or SRP, sandbox

Avast has hardened mode and other other customizable features. hardened mode + disable powershell, java and windows script host, it would be really difficult to bypass it. I have seen only 1 benign malware that bypassed it

Last edited:

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Thats not always a bad issue, KFA is connected to KSN which is connected with the system watcher from paid products, so in other words as long you are not the first one to be infected you receive immidiatly protection via the cloud (ksn)... so it will protect you without the need of a BB. ;)

Yeah, you have a point :) KSN is really a powerful network. The only downside is if I use my netbook offline which is rarely the case.

My only problem with Kaspersky Free is sometimes my Windows 10 Creators Update fails to boot (hybrid shutdown/hibernate) that I have to restart it by force. This never happens in BitDefender Free.

Bitdefender Free: it's cut down version, having basically the signatures of BD paid. It has very few customisation options. It is more lightweight, but sometimes a bit buggy, like an unfinished project.

My problems with Bitdefender Free:
1. Notifications about resolved malware take too long to show up - sometimes after a minute that the malware has been removed.
2. Even if I turn off its Protection Shield, the AVC still works, sometimes even the exclusions have been set. This is really annoying.

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
In my case, I tried 360 with all engines on and it slowed down my PC (which I noted when I accessed folders using Windows Explorer). The same happened to Panda.

For Avast, AVG, and even Avira, I did not detect a slowdown, but popup ads appeared which I could not disable.

For Bitdefender, I experienced difficulty installing it because I had an older version installed. Also, updates fail once in a while, etc.

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016

That's true if you're not the unlucky person who gets infected first and if you don't go offline frequently. But KFA also does the opposite: they collect intelligence from the free users in order to apply it for their paid customers (as implied by Eugene); free users are in a way their guinea pigs and that's a risk, IMO.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
I voted Bitdefender, but in general, I think you should pay for your AV, Kaspersky is also very good:)

Thank you!

For now I am using AVAST Internet Security which will expire on April 2028 - 11 years of use :)

But, I am thinking of throwing it away because of GUI glitches - often the main screen goes blank, have to wait for some seconds before buttons/texts show up!

Reactions: amico81

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.