Not open for further replies.

Mateotis

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
Hello everyone!

I've recently upgraded from BD Free to IS. It's been very good so far, however I've noticed a decrease in my internet speed, which didn't occur with the free version. Looking at Task Manager, "BitDefender Security Service" sits on top of the memory usage. The frustrating thing is, I just cannot kill the process nor prevent it from starting with Windows, just for the testing purposes. Not even with msconfig.

I've been reading/hearing a lot of good things about ESET, one of them being its lightness.

So my question is, would it worth switching from BD to ESET?

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
ESET Smart Security is one of the best antivirus i have tried, whereas Bitdefender is very buggy & has very large update size which slow down Internet & PC.
I would surely suggest you to switch to ESET SMART SECURITY 7.

Reactions: Mateotis

Nedim

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
Eset fanboys ? :D

Eset in many test is worse than bd so I would say I don't give a duck if it's lighter.
BD is on the top of the antivirus engines - many secure product using it so I would guess, it's not just quirk of fate.
The primary question IMO is do you need a faster PC or better secured PC.

Faster anyday, you should be fine with Windows defender if you know how to behave on the net.
2 or 3 % doesn't make a difference in a real world anyway.

ErLe

Level 2
Verified
Dec 28, 2012
ESS7 a very good package IS, but the AV module is at a higher level of firewall.
I resigned from ESS7, ESET NOD32 picked and added to this lightweight and efficient SpyShelter Firewall. Security is stronger, and the system works quickly.
Sorry, but BD is the elephant in the apartment.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Eset fanboys ? :D

Eset in many test is worse than bd so I would say I don't give a duck if it's lighter.
BD is on the top of the antivirus engines - many secure product using it so I would guess, it's not just quirk of fate.
The primary question IMO is do you need a faster PC or better secured PC.
More like BD is Overrated tbh.

Reactions: Mateotis

Mateotis

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
Okay, thank you all for the replies, they are very much appreciated, as always. :)

Now the question is, should I get the complete ESS package or NOD32 w/ a custom firewall?

pranjan

Verified
Nov 4, 2012
Hello everyone!

I've recently upgraded from BD Free to IS. It's been very good so far, however I've noticed a decrease in my internet speed, which didn't occur with the free version. Looking at Task Manager, "BitDefender Security Service" sits on top of the memory usage. The frustrating thing is, I just cannot kill the process nor prevent it from starting with Windows, just for the testing purposes. Not even with msconfig.

I've been reading/hearing a lot of good things about ESET, one of them being its lightness.

So my question is, would it worth switching from BD to ESET?

BD is very good...dont switch...turn off auto update...keeping it on will always make it checking for updates every 5-6 minutes....so turn it off and then your speed wil not be reduced...i am using this product since 3 years and no complaints...assuming your pc have 1.5-2 gb ram atleast, your performance will not be degraded to much level....just a little....well which av doesn't slows down a system...

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.