Not open for further replies.

Mateotis

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
Hello everyone!

I've recently upgraded from BD Free to IS. It's been very good so far, however I've noticed a decrease in my internet speed, which didn't occur with the free version. Looking at Task Manager, "BitDefender Security Service" sits on top of the memory usage. The frustrating thing is, I just cannot kill the process nor prevent it from starting with Windows, just for the testing purposes. Not even with msconfig.

I've been reading/hearing a lot of good things about ESET, one of them being its lightness.

So my question is, would it worth switching from BD to ESET?

Mateotis

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
BD is very good...dont switch...turn off auto update...keeping it on will always make it checking for updates every 5-6 minutes....so turn it off and then your speed wil not be reduced...

I turned it off and I did see an increase in speed, thanks. :)

Although the possibility of a switch is still there, so keep the opinions coming. ^^

Also...
last bd update is causing that vsserv.exe working much much harder and that's the problem you know...

I still didn't get an answer why. I've looked up the change log and I didn't find any reasonable change to make the process work harder. Maybe the integration of "TrafficLight SDK".

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would get a 30 day trial of ESET and see what you think.Every member could give you many different reasons for using one or the other.Personally I use ESS 7 on Windows 8.I think it runs very well without any conflicts or slowdowns but then again my PC specs can handle any security suite.I tried installing BIS 2014 on Windows 8 & 8.1 but installation crashed and caused problems so I have stuck with ESS 7.Windows 8/8.1 is much more secure so the lightest option would be Windows built in security with UAC & Smartscreen enabled.Add Sandboxie and its even better.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I would get a 30 day trial of ESET and see what you think.Every member could give you many different reasons for using one or the other.Personally I use ESS 7 on Windows 8.I think it runs very well without any conflicts or slowdowns but then again my PC specs can handle any security suite.I tried installing BIS 2014 on Windows 8 & 8.1 but installation crashed and caused problems so I have stuck with ESS 7.Windows 8/8.1 is much more secure so the lightest option would be Windows built in security with UAC & Smartscreen enabled.Add Sandboxie and its even better.
Not long ago, BitDefender (free version) was incompatible with Windows 8, & I was promptly introduced to my first BSOD :eek:Blue Screen Of Death.. :oops:
I understand this has since been fixed.:rolleyes:
ESET shall be my future choice should the need ever arise. I particularly concur with what wisdom & experience had to say above (Thy name is Exterminator20) about the lightest security option in 8/8.1 for rather than either of the two very popular AV choices here, I have chosen to fill my prescription for Ultra Light by using Windows built-in AV/Firewall, UAC, Smartscreen, & Sandboxie, on an Windows 8.1 system :) which has worked seamlessly ever since..:cool: well, ..almost.:mad: It's less filling ..& it tastes great too!:p:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
There are a few things i don't understand about this thread (1)people talk about eset like if it's way better than most av's which is far from the truth.(2)you will see reviews on av products that has been compromised, but not eset.(3)there also instruction on how to configure it for maximum protection. Now let's enter the real world most video reviews i see on eset internet security the product has been compromised,but no one shows you that side of the product and i will show u hear is the proof=
cyber review uploaded a video

ESET SMART SECURITY 7 - MALWARE TEST 3
To me kaspersky internet security is better than eset,emsisoft internet security is better than eset,bitdefender internet security is better than eset,comodo internet security is better than eset,360 internet security that is free does a better job than eset,but hey swallowing this pill name the truth need nuff water,or mouse clicks.;)
Out of the box the above products proactive defence is awesome realthing,eset have a high detection rate but when the nasties get on the pc,watch out folks.

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
There are a few things i don't understand about this thread (1)people talk about eset like if it's way better than most av's which is far from the truth.(2)you will see reviews on av products that has been compromised, but not eset.(3)there also instruction on how to configure it for maximum protection. Now let's enter the real world most video reviews i see on eset internet security the product has been compromised,but no one shows you that side of the product and i will show u hear is the proof=

To me kaspersky internet security is better than eset,emsisoft internet security is better than eset,bitdefender internet security is better than eset,comodo internet security is better than eset,but hey swallowing this pill name the truth need nuff water,or mouse clicks.;)
OK Terry, you've spoken to my heart & convinced me to also consider Kasperski,:)
maybe.., ...someday.:D

Reactions: Venustus

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
You see I had many doubts between bitdefender and ESET, I was using Bitdefender and it didn't slow my system ,indeed it use to eat my bandwidth! Yes it used to slow my internet connection , that's not all, every time I upgrade firefox browser, the secure search plugin gets removed and for this case when I contact my Bitdefeder support team, they used to suggest me to repair my BIS, so when we do that process , we need min 400 MB data to download fresh copy, and it crashes at 25%. So when I was searching for an alternative, I found this forum discussing about it. So I myself got confirmed that ESET is better than Bitdefender. My small conversation over this is Here, You may find my posts from #7 in that thread.
And I have just some days of bitdefender left, I don't care, I feel more comfortable with ESET let BIS go and get improved. Until that I will not switch to it. With the help of this forum I have grown more common sense to be safe online, and i'm myself happy and satisfied with my internet knowledge, yet there is more to learn , I will try my best.
SO I suggest u to try ESET or Webroot and decide Yourself.

Last edited:

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Eset fanboys ? :D

Eset in many test is worse than bd so I would say I don't give a duck if it's lighter.
BD is on the top of the antivirus engines - many secure product using it so I would guess, it's not just quirk of fate.
The primary question IMO is do you need a faster PC or better secured PC.

Rolf mostly i watched bitdefender products review in yt by trusted AV tester & bitdefedner fails hard against ESET. Many users complains about bitdefedner that it automatically deletes malicious items even it's false positive, it's engine is heavy & can slow a bit down ur boot time, startup time compare to ESET. Bitdefedner UI is not so user friendly. once i installed bitdefender in my pc & it blocks my internet, so reinstalled it & my net was back, search in google about it & found some peeps got same issue like me. Bitdefender slows down internet connection . Bitdefender gets beaten by ESET in on-demand scanning results here in " Virus Exchange " .ESET is good at detecting potential unwanted application & potential unsafe application then Bitdefender. Bitdefender is namesake prduct now & will fall soon like norton :D

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011

To me kaspersky internet security is better than eset,emsisoft internet security is better than eset,bitdefender internet security is better than eset,comodo internet security is better than eset,360 internet security that is free does a better job than eset,but hey swallowing this pill name the truth need nuff water,or mouse clicks.;)
Out of the box the above products proactive defence is awesome realthing,eset have a high detection rate but when the nasties get on the pc,watch out folks.
agreed,there are many free options personally i'm using 360 internet security suite right now i was using comodo before! eset is nice too mainly because its light and userfriendly!you can try 360 internet security suite its really light but if you wana pay go for eset i can say eset is better than bitdefender on the system,but bitdefender got better detection :)

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
BD is good, their detection rate is also good, but overrated and also sometime buggy. It also sometime deletes FP's items. But many AV companies using BD's engine.I'm not BD's fan boy though since I didn't use it, but my GF's and my familiy does. About ESET I have no idea, since I haven't use it yet, so I can't compare it

Mateotis

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
Thanks for the informative replies, everyone! They have been increasingly diverse, which I really appreciate.

I don't know if it was BD's Photon technology that finally adapted to my system or ASC 7 or both, but the speed issue seems resolved, my computer is blazing again. :D

Still, I have my eyes on ESET, so who knows!

Thanks again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.