Battle Bitdefender IS 2015 vs ESET Smart Security vs Panda IS 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

superboy123

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
May 1, 2012
i confiused what i should use antivirus bitdefender or eset or panda is??? i using window 7 32 bit ram 2gb..intel pentium

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
ESS is overall winner imo. why?
* It's CPU usage is 0% in my system most of time. I'm using ESS 9 beta so mine takes 100+ MB ram but it will take less ram then it in stable version. Ram is not the issue here coz AV who use ram r better then who use page file to hide their actual ram. Ram is faster then HD.
*System impact is very less on almost every system i feel like feather in my system but it depends wut system u r using. If u r using dinosaur age system like atom processor with 1 GB ram & slow HD then it ESS will feel u slower. No slow boot time issue not even when doing gaming or multitasking.
*User interface is good & can be understandable but it's ' more ' friendly to whom who knows how to configure it. If u r a newbie with no knowledge how to configure it then u can be in trouble. Check for guru guidance of ESS
[How To Set] ESET Smart Security f
*U maybe know that no security tool gives u 100% protection but ESET always gives u a better protection coz of it's latest 0 day malware threat detection/good web threat protection/smart real time protection/better HIPS & firewall protection then window firewall/ very good at detecting PUP infections. It's BB is not good as EAM but u can be usre it will give u a good level protection.
* IMO overall winner is ESS, i don't know much about panda but it's a cloud AV & if ur net is down or u r cut from internet coz of some issue, u won't feel secure. Though bitdefender is good but it's not so light as ESET & panda plus i see many users complains about it bugs. But remind u that ESET email service is very poor imo coz whenever i email them they reply me very very late like after a week & sometimes i can't get my reply.

Choose wut u prefer, try & see, brah.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
When it comes to the certain features then 3 of them have all have equal amount from the AV up to Banking protection therefore its a fair enough to choose for preferences. (I've included the new features to come from their beta to sum it the overall comparison)

But when it comes to detection capabilities via user test/majority of masses then it came to play with BD and ESET.

Now in terms of stability then so far ESET has good in such resource consumption and overall operation, next to Panda and lastly Bitdefender.

Again, the cons are varies to system which may not present immediately.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
If Panda 2016 beta performs like 2015, I can't recommend it since I got nothing like AV-C did.

Bitdefender 2015 was buggy garbage for me...I didn't even use half my free year it was that bad.

I really like ESET on my mobile but I've never tried it on Windows so I can only recommend it by process of elimination.

Reactions: superboy123

FireShootSK

Level 17
Verified
Feb 17, 2015
ESET is great for you. Why? Simple, is light for system. Have offline protection and awesome HIPS(after u set is correctly), great zero-day detection and web shield.
Panda is light too but detection isn t best(but "test" said something different).
BitDefender... It s special category is very hard for your system, yes have good detection and webshield(I m using BitDefender TrafficLight it s an addon using BD site database).

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
ESET for resource usage and system impact
IMO ESET also for user friendliness and GUI.For the average user the default settings cause very little problems for a non experienced user
I have found Bitdefender a bit buggy which might cause problems for the average user
As for level of protection I think all 3 offer good protection however I think ESET & Bitdefender are a bit better than Panda
Since I have been using ESET for over 15 years without an infection I have to say ESET for level of protection
Overall I would have to say ESET! Better protection light and runs well on older systems and is probably more user friendly to the average user (those who are using default and not advanced settings).

Best advice is always to try them and see which works best for you and your machine.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
That depends on where you draw the line on what a "normal" AV is and delineate what constitutes 0-day protection.

Heuristics are for 0-day and AVs have them.
Whitelists are as well and some AVs have them.

There aren't many conventional virus-scanner only programs out there; mostly all also perform other functions.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
In terms of protection modules/detection (yeah I know some of you are still concerned on Detections more than anything :p):
1- ESET (still a firm believer on their full lockdown HIPS mode (Policy Based mode))
2- Bit Defender
3- Panda

User Friendly:
Panda and Bit Defender by Far.
Yes I know everyone is gonna jump at me saying ESET is User Friendly, but let's dig into the settings shall we? Rules for HIPS and Firewall: It is like a maze unless you know what you are doing (yes they have the Automatic and Smart modes but doesn't make configuring rules any easier). Learning mode is available but 9 out of 10 people that use Learning Mode after it expires they will just switch to Automatic.

Resource impact/Real World impact:
Depends on your system but to generalize a bit with some Gaming language (FPS as an example):
ESET: Shooting someone with an M4A1 pressing the Shoot key at a normal pace and aiming properly - hitting target most of the times despite recoil
Bit Defender: Saying "Fire in the hole" and tossing a grenade while a Flash Grenade is Active, meaning you cant see anything and you pray it hits something.
Panda: UZI spraying bullets and your aim is all over the place in hopes one shot will hit.

In other words: ESET is way more stable and less impact than the others. Bit Defender is a Hit or Miss, while Panda is a Hit or Miss depending on the yearly released version.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Inkurax : Pretty good gaming comparison style, for Panda products it can be considered as a rifle silencer but the crosshair targets are so inaccurate because in reality it kicks something unusual especially from offline protection that can hit either FP or malicious. ;)

( Based on CS/ CS go weapon from my personal view)

Reactions: Soulbound

trainbus120

Level 10
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
I feel, Eset is the better option among them. it is low on system resources and has good detection rate. BIS is too buggy and makes system slow. I felt so. I used it myself for a long period before switching over

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Eset Smart Security is better but keep in mind this will not work peacefully with MBAM as crash may result.
Do you mean MBAM Premium with real time protection enabled?
With ESS installed there is no need to run MBAM in real time.There are no problems running an MBAM on demand scan with ESS installed.I have been using ESS with MBAM as an on demand scanner for many years.

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
I will say this about the Panda I know not a lot because it never used.
for me, the best is Eset has a good detection rate and is lightweight.
BitDefender for my hardware is a little too heavy and besides, I somehow does not lie.

Reactions: superboy123

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
Bitdefender signatures is great, but its products usage reminds me of old day Kaspersky were it use to be a heavy antivirus product. However, they still have a lot of works to do, but let's hope them they will get better anytime soon. Other than that, i will choose ESET over Panda because ESET signatures > Panda signatures. But if you want to use antivirus that include Bitdefender engine then i recommend Emsisoft and G-Data since F-Secure behavior blocker is not that great compare to G-Data or Emsisoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.