Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
[attachment=600]
Interesting add-on ,it's easy to use but don't see how this can be very useful as a browser add-on on day-to-day bases but it's free so it's ok.This quick scan it's a marketing trick used by Bitdefender to promote their products.I will install some malware on my VM a try to see how good it works. :)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    88.9 KB · Views: 946

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
It only detects active running malware processes which makes testing it very hard since you can't perform an on-demand scanning test.

Thanks.:D

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This is just an example.

[attachment=601]

Code:
Found 1 infected file!
----------------------

D:\Downloads\TrojanSimulator\TrojanSimulator.exe --> Application.TrojanSimulator
  --> Process TrojanSimulator.exe (316)

Processes
---------
(unsigned)  TrojanSimulator.exe                       316    D:\Downloads\TrojanSimulator\TrojanSimulator.exe

It can't remove anything without you being prompted to install BitDefender Internet Security. :(

Attachments

• BD_QS.png
    BD_QS.png
    57.8 KB · Views: 875

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
stormgtr said:
This is just an example.

Code:
Found 1 infected file!
----------------------

D:\Downloads\TrojanSimulator\TrojanSimulator.exe --> Application.TrojanSimulator

Processes
---------
(unsigned)  TrojanSimulator.exe                       316    D:\Downloads\TrojanSimulator\TrojanSimulator.exe

It can't remove anything without you being prompted to install BitDefender Internet Security. :(

Yes I forget to mention that it will not remove infections for free. It is more of a bait and hook to get people to buy BitDefender.

However BitDefender Online Scanner will remove infections and scans your complete system. The last time that I tried it, it automatically removes all files detected without any options to keep files. This can be bad if false positives are detected.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
i never try scan over the internet, maybe upload sample on VT or jotti.
but will try in future :D

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Littlebits said:
stormgtr said:
This is just an example.

Code:
Found 1 infected file!
----------------------

Processes
---------

Yes I forget to mention that it will not remove infections for free. It is more of a bait and hook to get people to buy BitDefender.

So It only scans running processes and it can't remove anything......So why should a some use it?Why did Bitfender created this add-on?
I'm happy that Malwarebytes was not developed by Bitdefender,Kaspersky or Symantec because if that was the case ,I'm sure we would 've pay for MBAM On-Demand scanner.
Maybe all the vendors should take an example from MBAM,great product with no limitations or advertise.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
At least Bitdefender Online Scanner can remove threats unlike Quickscan which no removal features. So if I need to choose then I will go for online scanner.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Littlebits said:
However BitDefender Online Scanner will remove infections and scans your complete system. The last time that I tried it, it automatically removes all files detected without any options to keep files. This can be bad if false positives are detected.

The green "Start Scanner" button doesn't work, unless I missed the obvious.

Edit:
http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/scanner/online/free.html
- It didn't work on the UK link.

Edit2:
It redirects back to QuickScan. :(

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Earth said:
Littlebits said:

The green "Start Scanner" button doesn't work, unless I missed the obvious.

Edit:
http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/scanner/online/free.html
- It didn't work on the UK link.

Edit2:
It redirects back to QuickScan. :(

It looks like the BitDefender Online Scanner has been discontinued and replaced with BitDefender QuickScan.:huh: Too bad. I know it was working about a week ago.

Well you can still use F-Secure Online Scanner it uses BitDefender engine along with its own engines.
It allows you to choose from Quick Scan- running processes only, Full Scan- all files on all hard disks and My Scan- can select which locations to scan. Offers free removal of malware detected.

BitDefender still offers their Free Edition which will scan your complete system and remove infections but has no real-time protection.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
I tried this a couple of days ago.
http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner#

If you go on FF, you ll be allowed to download a installer to be run
in the computer. I ran it under TimeFreeze and it was perfect. No
false positives and will use it again.

It does have the option to scan only or scan and remove.

Bo

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks Bo, I already have ESET Online Scanner installed. Plus I prefer it compared to others Online Scanners.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Earth said:
Thanks Bo, I already have ESET Online Scanner installed. Plus I prefer it compared to others Online Scanners.
I liked how it ran, I scan very rarely with anything other than HMP/MBAM but
I am keeping their link. Using the installer like I did, using TimeFreeze, is
perfect. Scanned, rebooted and everything was gone from the system. The
way I like it.

Bo

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Just a new design / icon. Scan page contains some "Did you know that's"

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pdnkcidphdcakpkheohlhocaicfamjie

iayzC.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.