App Review Bitdefender Total Security 2016 Test (MalwareDoctor)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Thanks for this!
I like the concept of Autopilot, but it seems that it's not good at detecting malwares. It is probably because it configures the settings to "permissive" sometimes or most of the time.
What about if Bitdefender is run with Autopilot off?

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Thanks for this!
I like the concept of Autopilot, but it seems that it's not good at detecting malwares. It is probably because it configures the settings to "permissive" sometimes or most of the time.
What about if Bitdefender is run with Autopilot off?
even with autopilot off bitdefender will just notify you that something happen, if you wish to have some control over bitdefender actions, please turn on paranoid mode... however if you want to increase bitdefender response to new malware you can set active virus control and intrusion prevention system to a higher level but be advised that FP may occur, so be careful

Reactions: XhenEd

Dima007

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
Curious to see Bitdefender internet security 2016 vs Eset smart security 9

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
105MB at idle, geez that's a lot.

not really, despite those 105mb bitdefender wont slow down your pc as it keeps signatures in ram instead of dumping them to the disk, as a comparison emsisoft drops it 220mb database to the disk, when idle is not a problem but if you open something your hard disk will go crazy and you will see some slow down... also please note that eset service eats 110 mb some times when idle... ahh bitdefender photon also reduces the amount of scanned files so the product stay idle more oftenly, this also mean that signatures request are less.

Curious to see Bitdefender internet security 2016 vs Eset smart security 9
different products, different concepts.. they focus on differents areas, so it is hard to compare them... recently i talk with a eset representative, he told me that eset focus on detecting malware rather than zero days... in english it means they focus on signatures and on demand scan and less in BB areas or 0-day ... bitdefender is focused on automated AV , less impact and some BB

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
not really, despite those 105mb bitdefender wont slow down your pc as it keeps signatures in ram instead of dumping them to the disk, as a comparison emsisoft drops it 220mb database to the disk, when idle is not a problem but if you open something your hard disk will go crazy and you will see some slow down... also please note that eset service eats 110 mb some times when idle... ahh bitdefender photon also reduces the amount of scanned files so the product stay idle more oftenly, this also mean that signatures request are less.

Interesting, i might purchase BitDefender Internet Security when the trial is over.

different products, different concepts.. they focus on differents areas, so it is hard to compare them... recently i talk with a eset representative, he told me that eset focus on detecting malware rather than zero days... in english it means they focus on signatures and on demand scan and less in BB areas or 0-day ... bitdefender is focused on automated AV , less impact and some BB

So ESET is doing the same thing as Avira did? Signature class over zero day protection.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Interesting, i might purchase BitDefender Internet Security when the trial is over.
well am not part of the marketing department from bitdefender, my advice would be to test the product in some "scenarios" and see how well it does under those circunstances... remember that all the pcs have dif. configs. As for me am running an intel celeron b800 pc the only slow down i see is on boot and surfing, also be advised that bitdefender may cause some bugs or BSOD so you have to be patient before you give up... so before you purchase something test it!!! how?, simple: start a scan and see if you manage to use your pc, how long does it take, how much CPU it uses etc, do a scan with usb and well there are a lot of test...

So ESET is doing the same thing as Avira did? Signature class over zero day protection.

most likely i may recognise that they have an excellent HIPs module and excellent cloud... but it is useless as HIPS is almost never used unless you do something manually and if you do, most of the stuff is "allow or deny" pop ups so... and with eset live grid, despite the fact that their cloud is very excellent against new malware, they dont use it the way others do... for example i would like them to block files on cloud always (if the file is not in database) and add some preset rules with the HIPS module, it is a crazy thing to ask the user what to do with system files for example... i heard that some improvements will be done with v.9 so i will wait and see

Reactions: XhenEd

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.