BitDefender USB immunizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom172

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 11, 2011
Introduced back in the Windows XP era to facilitate software installations from CD-ROM media for non-technical computer users, the Autorun feature has rapidly become the infection vector of choice for cyber-criminals.

The USB immunizer is BitDefender's response to this growing issue. This small utility is divided in two sections.

The Immunize option allows you to immunize your USB storage device or SD card against infections with autorun-based malware. Even if your storage device has been plugged into an infected computer, the piece of malware will be unable to create its autorun.inf file, thus annihilating any chance of auto-launching itself.

The Immunize Computer slider allows you to toggle the autorun feature On or Off for any removable media (except for CD/DVD-ROM devices). If you accidentally plug in an infected USB drive that has not been immunized, the computer will not auto-execute the piece of malware located on the USB storage device.

http://labs.bitdefender.com/?page_id=108

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well a handy tool , its file size is 1.1 MB and its in the zip file.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
vn12zp.png

• Same appearance as other product (ie. TrafficLight beta).
  • In-application Advertisement
  • Portable Executable (.zip)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Looks good , I've used Panda USB Vaccine in the past.
I've just installed on my testing PC Windows 7 32bits so I might try BitDefender USB immunizer to see it at work:D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Looks like a very handy tool I think I might try it out, and plus it might be handy if some of my friends need help with malware :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I may use this probably in the future since I use the usb during school days and the computer there are infected with tazebama/autorun.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
USB Immunizer v2 is Right around the Corner

Since then, we received an overwhelming amount of feedback both from the press and from users, which helped us decide what, how and when version two should happen.

We don’t want to spoil the surprise entirely, so I’ll just limit this update to enumerating some of the most important goodies we’re going to pack in the new release:
  • Multilingual interface support.
  • Support for a wider range of file systems: FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, exFAT and NTFS
  • Completely new protection algorithm for the autorun.inf file
  • Option to automatically immunize flash drives that are unprotected

BitDefender Labs Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.