Battle Bitdefender VS Kaspersky

Which is better for a home user, Kaspersky or Bitdefender.

• Kaspersky

Votes: 44 80.0%
  • Bitdefender

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Compare list
Bitdefender Total Security VS Kaspersky Plus
Platform(s)
  1. Microsoft Windows

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I would say Kaspersky, however on this PC I use Emsisoft as it suits me better, there is no right and wrong here?
One thing I would say if you have valuable data on your machine image it regularly with Macrium Reflect or similar at least monthly as no AV including Kaspesky is 100% invincible.
RAM usage on Emsisoft?

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
A few months ago in Emsisofts blog they did announce that the product would be lighter - I have noticed that to be true - I don't spend a lot of time looking at RAM usage but I tend to go by fan speeds both hearing & in HW-Info - Of course its personal how a product runs but on this particular PC Emsisoft runs as well as any other AV as far as I'm concerned. Privacy seems o be good with Emsisoft & I like the simplistic layout.

ddave

Level 2
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
Yes, I've often noticed a delay with Bitdefender in detecting recent phishings.
The best are : Kaspersky, Avira & ESET
So by reflection F-Secure is on par with this three considering that it uses the Avira engine?

RAM usage on Emsisoft?
I'm using EAM right now and the RAM usage is about 650 Mb

A few months ago in Emsisofts blog they did announce that the product would be lighter - I have noticed that to be true - I don't spend a lot of time looking at RAM usage but I tend to go by fan speeds both hearing & in HW-Info - Of course its personal how a product runs but on this particular PC Emsisoft runs as well as any other AV as far as I'm concerned. Privacy seems o be good with Emsisoft & I like the simplistic layout.
I didn't notice any effect of this slimming treatment. EAM on my system always used approximately 500/600 Mb of RAM and nothing has changed so much as to cause me to notice a difference.

rashmi

Level 5
Jan 15, 2024
Is the free version of Kaspersky better than Bitdefender free or vice versa ?
I myself am currently using Bitdefender free.

I would like to use strong protection for free.
Kaspersky Free is better than Bitdefender Free, other free AVs, and many paid AVs. KFree includes System Watcher, which offers proactive protection. KFree has all core protections except Application Control and Firewall. But System Watcher does all the heavy lifting and provides excellent protection (in my opinion). Watch any Kaspersky test, and you will notice that System Watcher protects the system well against zero-day malware. [You will hardly see any test where Application Control gets a chance to restrict malware.] System Watcher is a sophisticated technology that is also not false-positive-prone, like behavior blockers in most products. I suggest Kaspersky Free over any free AVs and premium AVs, like ESET, which has no "true" behavior blocker or proactive.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
As far as the myriad of settings, usability, and information within the windows, Kaspersky. If you want more of a set-it-and-forget-it, BD. You also have the ability (in the beta) to do a search, you can also do a right-click system tray icon to Pause protection, with BD you don't have those options.

I also believe, from experience, that Kaspersky is more stable, fewer glitches than BD. I have both installed, BD has 16 processes running, including VPN, and Kaspersky has 7 processes running (including Password Manager). With BD Total Security, it would be a separate purchase for the Premium VPN, and Password Manager.

As far as protection, I would give the edge to Kaspersky, from what I've seen and read on this forum, and maybe some YouTube tests.
The separate purchase(for me) is a big negative(Bitdefender

Last edited:

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
The separate purchase(for me) is a big negative(Bitdefender
Yep, and I'm not impressed with BD PM and its small browser extension add-on, especially on a notebook. No desktop app and no real ability to sort passwords etc compared to Kaspersky's desktop app. And I wonder if BD VPN still connects to multiple Google servers using ipleaktest?

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
Kaspersky Free is better than Bitdefender Free, other free AVs, and many paid AVs. KFree includes System Watcher, which offers proactive protection. KFree has all core protections except Application Control and Firewall. But System Watcher does all the heavy lifting and provides excellent protection (in my opinion). Watch any Kaspersky test, and you will notice that System Watcher protects the system well against zero-day malware. [You will hardly see any test where Application Control gets a chance to restrict malware.] System Watcher is a sophisticated technology that is also not false-positive-prone, like behavior blockers in most products. I suggest Kaspersky Free over any free AVs and premium AVs, like ESET, which has no "true" behavior blocker or proactive.
Kaspersky is very overrated. Even I have had bugs with it, which I have not had in Bitdefender.
I had a Bug that wouldn't let me play League of Legends while Kaspersky was active.
Another negative point is that Kaspersky is the only AV that does NOT have NATIVE 64-bit support and that seems quite absurd to me knowing that most people use 64-bit (I am not interested in having modules that work in 64-bit), which What I want is for the av to be installed in program files and not in program files x86. So if we talk about stability, I'll discuss it with you.
In terms of protection, Bitdefender's behavior blocker is very similar to Kaspersky's, it has nothing to envy.
Gretting.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Kaspersky is very overrated. Even I have had bugs with it, which I have not had in Bitdefender.
I had a Bug that wouldn't let me play League of Legends while Kaspersky was active.
Another negative point is that Kaspersky is the only AV that does NOT have NATIVE 64-bit support and that seems quite absurd to me knowing that most people use 64-bit (I am not interested in having modules that work in 64-bit), which What I want is for the av to be installed in program files and not in program files x86. So if we talk about stability, I'll discuss it with you.
In terms of protection, Bitdefender's behavior blocker is very similar to Kaspersky's, it has nothing to envy.
Gretting.
And totally off the thread comparison :) but F-Secure with its 19.4 beta is now installing in Program Files, compared to 19.3 being in Program Files (x86). 19.4 has very minimal system impact, very stable :)

64 bit 19.4.jpg

19.4 processes.jpg

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
I have had kaspersky many times and have been satisfied for the most part, but once the bank protection stopped working with some of my banks, and it took a very long time for them to get this back on track, so kaspersky is not flawless either. It can fail like any other so don't feel to safe. What I did when I no longer had bank protection when I went to the bank was to go to f-secure or Bitdefender.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.