Battle Bitdefender VS Kaspersky

Which is better for a home user, Kaspersky or Bitdefender.

• Kaspersky

Votes: 44 80.0%
  • Bitdefender

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Compare list
Bitdefender Total Security VS Kaspersky Plus
Platform(s)
  1. Microsoft Windows

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
As far as the myriad of settings, usability, and information within the windows, Kaspersky. If you want more of a set-it-and-forget-it, BD. You also have the ability (in the beta) to do a search, you can also do a right-click system tray icon to Pause protection, with BD you don't have those options.

I also believe, from experience, that Kaspersky is more stable, fewer glitches than BD. I have both installed, BD has 16 processes running, including VPN, and Kaspersky has 7 processes running (including Password Manager). With BD Total Security, it would be a separate purchase for the Premium VPN, and Password Manager.

As far as protection, I would give the edge to Kaspersky, from what I've seen and read on this forum, and maybe some YouTube tests.

Last edited:

Lymphocyte

Level 2
Verified
Jul 22, 2014
In my opinion they are equal.
Both products have great signature database and their behavior blockers works quite well although System Watcher (Kaspersky) may be a bit more polished than Advanced Threat Defense (Bitdefender), and also I think that Kaspersky is better at removing infections.
If we are talking about the free versions Kaspersky is better as Bitdefender is pretty restricted, but if we are talking about the paid products it's up to you, your preferences and how they work in your PC.
Also you may watch this video made by @Shadowra in which you can see both Bitdefender and Kaspersky, here Kaspersky won, but keep in mind that this is just one test and if She made another video tomorrow the result of this products could be a bit different.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Which is better for a home user, Kaspersky or Bitdefender. I currently use and enjoy Kaspersky, and I personally think its malware detection is much better, but I want some other opinions.
How frequently do you encounter malware. If it's only one or two times a year, then either one is good. The only thing that matters is how they affect the performance of your computer. And obviously if you are paying for a product, then pick the cheaper option.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
I mean how often you encounter malware is not an important factor nowadays like if you're going to get infected, you will. and I'm talking about targeted attacks which is highly unlikely for almost any home user. specially if you have a decent AV installed even Defender is more than good enough to get easily infected nowadays ( if you have it turned on ofc )

now most important factor these days I'd say is what you do with your PC mostly.
But in total most AVs are more than decent nowadays for whatever a Home user do.

you've mentioned "malware detections" if that's all you care about both of Bitdefender and Kaspersky will do the job they're both are the best for what they're doing and you can't go wrong with either of them. even with "malware detection" factor it's just a matter of preference. some might find Kaspersky being from Russia a reason to avoid? some might find Bitdefender having some buggy versions back in the day a reason to avoid? all preferences.

I'd suggest Bitdefender but that's just my preference of course cause Kaspersky is just as good as if not better. However if you do play Games on your PC I suggest you stay away from Bitdefender even tho it's my favorite. I recently Installed Bitdefender Total Security on my PC which had a clean install of Windows 11, had installed COD Warzone 2 at first and with Bitdefender being installed on my PC I lost about 14% FPS on a I'd say decently high end PC. If you're a gamer, you don't want Bitdefender installed on your PC also Game mode is most of the time broken and doesn't detect some games including COD in this case. (and yes it's been a known issue with Bitdefender for a long time)

You happy with Kaspersky, stay with it.

Ashish1+1

Level 1
Verified
Nov 29, 2016
My laptop had been infected by a ramsomware and I tried both Kaspersky and BD. Both were able to detect but in my case only Kaspersky could steer it clean. Unfortunately damage was severe, even inside windows >system folder so eventually had to format and have a fresh OS install.

But would suggest that if you're a cautious user either with do fine but work with some famous/ not so famous/ unknown/ trial softwares Kaspersky would definitely give the needed shield to your laptop.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
You’re always looking for affirmation that Kaspersky is the best. 😀
All threads you create are Kaspersky vs something.
Soon you will ask if it’s better than Protegent and Qihoo 360.
Yes, it is better than Bitdefender.
It has a lot of settings and features and can protect you with its default deny options. Bitdefender is heavier, less flexible and less effective.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
All threads you create are Kaspersky vs something.
Soon you will ask if it’s better than Protegent and Qihoo 360.
Or ClamAV :p

@Xeno1234 : Yes, Kaspersky is excellent, and it has been demonstrated to you several times. You should not primarily choose an antivirus based on its detection rate but rather based on its features and your machine's usage. Even Microsoft Defender is excellent in detection (please don't create a 'Kaspersky vs. Microsoft Defender' topic, please...)

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I would say Kaspersky, however on this PC I use Emsisoft as it suits me better, there is no right and wrong here?
One thing I would say if you have valuable data on your machine image it regularly with Macrium Reflect or similar at least monthly as no AV including Kaspesky is 100% invincible.

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
Now, correct me if im wrong, but doesnt bitdefender have better web protection? Like better phishing/malicious website blocking

Reactions: Dave Russo

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Does trafficlight interfere with uBlock? Someone said it does.
I used them together before and didn’t have any issues. I don’t use extensions anymore as even if it’s minimal, it’s still local processing on my devices. It slows browsing down and drains battery. I just use DNS nowadays. Speaking of which, ControlD by @windscribe has now finished a network upgrade that reduced latency.

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
I used them together before and didn’t have any issues. I don’t use extensions anymore as even if it’s minimal, it’s still local processing on my devices. It slows browsing down and drains battery. I just use DNS nowadays. Speaking of which, ControlD by @windscribe has now finished a network upgrade that reduced latency.

Someone said it "interferes" with website blocking capabilities

I have not noticed that happening on my PC's
I disabled BD Anti-tracker, as that does at times cause issues with webpages loading properly.
Dont use their Anti-Tracker. uBlock is probably more than enough.

Reactions: Dave Russo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.