Bitdefender vs Norton

KonradPL

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2018
Hello :)

I want to know which IS is better to buy for Windows/Android for whole familly.

Most Important to me is best protection and usability
Both run smooth on my devices.

Recently I read that apparently the best is Kaspersky and Bitdefender but I do not trust Kaspersky

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
See link in my previous comment

I read. Many posts from previous years
If everything works for me - what should I write? I don't think it will stop working in 5 days. Apparently BD feels good in me.
It has been said many times on this forum - that every AV behaves differently. Maybe I am the exception ?
I am glad that everything is working as it should.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Here are screenshots of some ads that Norton shows. I thought I'd post them for @L0ckJaw who seems to think that Norton has no ads.

Norton 2.png

Norton.png

The funny thing is that having two so called registry errors, will have zero effect on system performance. Even if there are many thousands of registry errors, more than likely, deleting these registry keys would not improve performance or fix any issues. It's a shame that Norton not only is including ads in their antivirus, but also that they are misleading. Maybe that is to be expected, considering that Norton Utilities is a rebrand of Iolo's System Mechanic, as Iolo has a history of misleading advertising.

Last edited:

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Then disable those Ads.. why so difficult .
1653646786258.png

I have been a Norton User for many years, sometimes install other AV, but always come back.
I really never seen any AD. They give you the option to disable this. So why dont you use it ?

Attachments

• 1653646754330.png
    1653646754330.png
    5 KB · Views: 138

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Here are screenshots of some ads that Norton shows. I thought I'd post them for @L0ckJaw who seems to think that Norton has no ads.

View attachment 266997

View attachment 266998

The funny thing is that having two so called registry errors, will have zero effect on system performance. Even if there many thousands of registry errors, more than likely, deleting these registry keys would not improve performance or fix any issues. It's a shame that Norton not only is including ads in their antivirus, but also that they are misleading. Maybe that is to be expected, considering that Norton Utilities is a rebrand of Iolo's System Mechanic, as Iolo has a history of misleading advertising.

I had this quite regularly, even invitations to pay for vpn etc...
Just disable the ads, but I must admit that on a paid Antivirus, it is rather daring.....

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Then disable those Ads.. why so difficult .
View attachment 267000

I have been a Norton User for many years, sometimes install other AV, but always come back.
I really never seen any AD. They give you the option to disable this. So why dont you use it ?
While there is a don't show again option on each ad, I had no idea that there was such an option within the settings. Anyway I'd much rather that an antivirus I paid for did not have ads.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
I had this quite regularly, even invitations to pay for vpn etc...
Just disable the ads, but I must admit that on a paid Antivirus, it is rather daring.....
True, but on the other hand : Can you blame them ? They need to make money too.
Bitdefender forces their own VPN and loves to give fake warning messages about a unsecure network or certificates ( so you buy the VPN ), this really makes me mad, nothing unsecure, just keep on popping these kind of fake warnings.

At least with Norton, you can switch them off easy.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
True, but on the other hand : Can you blame them ? They need to make money too.
Bitdefender forces their own VPN and loves to give fake warning messages about a unsecure network or certificates ( so you buy the VPN ), this really makes me mad, nothing unsecure, just keep on popping these kind of fake warnings.

At least with Norton, you can switch them off easy.

It's true, with some like Avast for example, it's even in the user interface ....
(in its free version, and it continues to advertise in its paid version, and you can't remove it)

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
So far I have not had any advertising in BD despite the option about special offers being enabled.
Only now, after reading your posts, I have turned this option off

Screenshot_3.jpg

By the way, a paid product should not contain any ads. I guess the fee for the program obliges you to do something. Freeware is the best - I have nothing to complain about.
I had a similar thing with AVG IS (paid product) and it displayed ads (at the bottom of the interface) that I should buy AVG TuneUp which irritated me a lot.
Good thing Bitdefender doesn't do that

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
So far I have not had any advertising in BD despite the option about special offers being enabled.
Only now, after reading your posts, I have turned this option off

View attachment 267002

By the way, a paid product should not contain any ads. I guess the fee for the program obliges you to do something. Freeware is the best - I have nothing to complain about.
I had a similar thing with AVG IS (paid product) and it displayed ads (at the bottom of the interface) that I should buy AVG TuneUp which irritated me a lot.
Good thing Bitdefender doesn't do that
The paid offer is the same as Norton does , and in Norton and BD you can disable it. In Avast this can not be done

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.