Bitdefender vs Norton

KonradPL

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2018
Hello :)

I want to know which IS is better to buy for Windows/Android for whole familly.

Most Important to me is best protection and usability
Both run smooth on my devices.

Recently I read that apparently the best is Kaspersky and Bitdefender but I do not trust Kaspersky

low L!fe

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014
I will choose Bitdefender for these reasons:
Bitdefender is heavy, but very powerful in detecting and protecting against ransomware and features Norton is strong but has false positives on tests. Thank you
My personal openion:
1- Bitdefender
2-Norton
3- Kaspersky
4-GDATA
5- F-secure

L

Local Host

Those posts on the Bitdefender community forum are from mostly 2009 and 2012. What is your point?

View attachment 267043
Not true and doesn't help your case, so many years and they haven't solved the issue yet.

Here have fun, BitDefender services, Bitdefender Services Are Not Responding. Please Restart. Win10, Bitdefender services are not responding

Their team been troubleshooting this problem for over a decade with no fix to date.

Lets also not forget about the other issue, How to stop bitdefender popups/notifications

Deep down I don't care what others use or like, I would never recommend BD to anyone however.

Last edited:

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Not true and doesn't help your case, so many years and they haven't solved the issue yet.

Here have fun, BitDefender services, Bitdefender Services Are Not Responding. Please Restart. Win10, Bitdefender services are not responding

Their team been troubleshooting this problem for over a decade with no fix to date.

Lets also not forget about the other issue, How to stop bitdefender popups/notifications

Deep down I don't care what others use or like, I would never recommend BD to anyone however.
Exactly my point, I have 3 years subscription for total security here and I’m not gonna use it.
Waste of money on this lousy product.
They refuse to fix the issue and just simply deny it by asking to reinstall.

And don't forget the immense writing on your SSD with every update.

Last edited:

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
You don't show posts from 2022. You only show posts from 2009 and 2012. There are no receipts you provided to substantiate it is still a problem.

Post them. Then you would have made a point.
See @Local Host comment above your one. But i make it simple, install the Bugdefender and you can make your own " services not responding post" on Bugdefenders forum soon.

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
Exactly my point, I have 3 years subscription for total security here and I’m not gonna use it.

the antivirus weighs approximately 680 mb, in 2022, where do you get the information that Bitdefender updates degrade SSDs? If that were the case, all antiviruses would do it. Avast for example weighs more than 1gb installed. Greetings.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
the antivirus weighs approximately 680 mb, in 2022, where do you get the information that Bitdefender updates degrade SSDs? If that were the case, all antiviruses would do it. Avast for example weighs more than 1gb installed. Greetings.
This is common sense , every update , even @SeriousHoax have mentioned this a couple of times. And when you read on Reddit and google there are plenty of complaints about this.

Reactions: SeriousHoax

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022

Your head hurts and it gets uncomfortable reading these posts. And all this on a Sunday morning. Why such a hissy fit about Bitdefender products ?

Are you saying that I spent money senselessly to buy BD ? I also have an SSD and what should I worry about because BD will break it ? Am I worse because I have a BD ?
This product works really well for me. Even if something was wrong with it I wouldn't write bad things about it either. Here every statement you make about BD resonates with venom. I know a lot of people personally where BD in IS or TS version works normally for them.
Just because it doesn't work as it should doesn't mean you have to ridicule it.
The only thing you need to do is to make fun of them. You don't want to use it if you have problems.
I noticed on the forum - that no matter how you have AV it will still be bad.
I do not want to offend anyone on Sunday, but come to your senses. Respect for other users.

Peace to us all
User BD

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Your head hurts and it gets uncomfortable reading these posts. And all this on a Sunday morning. Why such a hissy fit about Bitdefender products ?

Are you saying that I spent money senselessly to buy BD ? I also have an SSD and what should I worry about because BD will break it ? Am I worse because I have a BD ?
This product works really well for me. Even if something was wrong with it I wouldn't write bad things about it either. Here every statement you make about BD resonates with venom. I know a lot of people personally where BD in IS or TS version works normally for them.
The only thing you need to do is to make fun of them. You don't want to use it if you have problems.
I do not want to offend anyone on Sunday, but come to your senses. Respect for other users.

Peace to us all
User BD
If your head hurts, don’t read 😄 I’m just replying some newbies , well me and @Local Host did.

I’m not attacking you or BD , I’m just pointing out the facts that are everywhere online and which @Local Host and me experienced our selves with BD. If it still works for you, keep using it !
Peace

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello guys.

Quickly, a bug, it depends mainly on the machine, the possible traces of antivirus that can remain etc...

I have seen Bitdefender's service stop abruptly on machines I was repairing, but never on my own. I can't blame it on a software bug, as I said, it depends on the machine.

However, where I agree is on the SSD.
It will not break, I reassure! But it writes a lot of data in update, its downloaded updates must be compressed, and it must decompress them to install them.
But we all know that writing and rewriting several times weakens SSDs, which is why Antivirus software has Cloud systems to avoid downloading a lot of data onto the computer.

There are no fights about Antivirus, only users :)
I used Bitdefender, and I still like it today. But the sudden drop in throughput when using vpn and injection scanning made me abandon it...

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Yeah, writing a lot of data while it updates is true for Bitdefender and every other product that is using BD signature. Updating in the morning, I mean if you haven't updated it in a while, might make BD write 600-800 MB data on the update. On other updates throughout the day, it'll be on average 400 MB I think. BD releases signature 5-6 times a day if I'm not wrong.
But I have to say even ESET writes about 400 MB data on each update, and their updating frequency is also similar. ESET also have streaming/pico updates which downloads 1 KB update file every 10 minutes. But of course this doesn't add anything. MD about 210 MB and Kaspersky 170 on average. But MD updates once a day by default, and Kaspersky don't seem to release updates often throughout the day (its log may fool you).
So anyway, for SSD users on PC, turning off hibernation is a better way to reduce some writes on the disk. My hibernate file size is just over 5 GB. Yours may vary. Turning it off is recommended unless you are using a laptop/HDD. I don't fully understand how to evaluate this hibernate file writes. Does it only writes data to it when you shutdown? Or some data is also written throughout the day? I never tested it, but looks like at least I'm reducing 10 GB data writes every single day since I usually turn off my PC twice a day (correct me if I'm wrong).
Moving browsers cache folder to a HDD is also a smart way to reduce some writes on SSD if you watch a lot of videos on your device. I browse YouTube quite a lot, so it helps.
So, everyone in general including anyone using BD/BD based products can follow this method to reduce disk writes on a SSD.

Last edited:

micasayyo

Level 3
Jan 31, 2022

Peace to us all
User BD
I have been a user of Bitdefender on one of my computers for years, even when they called it Bugdefender in this forum, despite this I have never had any problems, what is more, I think it is better than Kaspersky or Eset (I prefer not to give an opinion on Norton, the only thing I will say is that I will never install it again)
another user happy with BD

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
Yeah, writing a lot of data while it updates is true for Bitdefender and every other product that is using BD signature. Updating in the morning, I mean if you haven't updated it in a while, might make BD write 600-800 MB data on the update. On other updates throughout the day, it'll be on average 400 MB I think. BD releases signature 5-6 times a day if I'm not wrong.
But I have to say even ESET writes about 400 MB data on each update, and their updating frequency is also similar. ESET also have streaming/pico updates which downloads 1 KB update file every 10 minutes. But of course this doesn't add anything. MD about 210 MB and Kaspersky 170 on average. But MD updates once a day by default, and Kaspersky don't seem to release updates often throughout the day (its log may fool you).
So anyway, for SSD users on PC, turning off hibernation is a better way to reduce some writes on the disk. My hibernate file size is just over 5 GB. Yours may vary. Turning it off is recommended unless you are using a laptop/HDD. I don't fully understand how to evaluate this hibernate file writes. Does it only writes data to it when you shutdown? Or some data is also written throughout the day? I never tested it, but looks like at least I'm reducing 10 GB data writes every single day since I usually turn off my PC twice a day (correct me if I'm wrong).
Moving browsers cache folder to a HDD is also a smart way to reduce some writes on SSD if you watch a lot of videos on your device. I browse YouTube quite a lot, so it helps.
So, everyone in general including anyone using BD/BD based products can follow this method to reduce disk writes on a SSD.

Hibernation on my laptop has been disabled since the first day after I bought the laptop.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.