Bl4cK1911's Config

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
RE: What is the best AV that you recommend?

Are you interested in a free anti-virus or paid suite?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

There is no best AV but you can pick 1 from 4 free AV's that suitable on the setup.

Avira= Have solid detection rates and featured web guard.

Avast= Beside on signatures it relies on other components including the File Rep and Streaming Updates.

MSE= Provides good protection and ease to configure especially newly users.

or AVG= Good detection rates, their Behavior Identity Protection helps a lot and linkscanner works to prevent web threats.

On demand scanners : Malwarebytes Anti Malware and Hitman Pro

For Google Chrome: extensions like WOT, Adblock Plus and Lastpass are must.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Is there a reason why you don't have any On-demand scanners? Also no backup options?

It is up to you and what suits you best for what is the best antivirus. You will have to do some testing yourself to find what suits you. Look around the forum for reviews and or look here and here for some ideas.

Also there is a few addons that you can add to Google Chrome.
  1. Adblock Plus
  2. LastPass
  3. WOT

Backup options:

A few On-demand scanners:

Hope that this helps :)

Bl4cK1911

Thread author
Apr 1, 2012

Hmm. thx all.. I wanna a free av..

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Since your on Windows XP their built in firewall isn't effective much so a third party firewall to add a combination.

Comodo Firewall, PrivateFirewall, Online Armor or PC Tools Firewall Plus.

darkelixa

Jul 3, 2011

Comodo Internet Security with AVG Link scanner, good to go

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011

If you want a free AV, use Avast. Set it to gaming mode and it will never bother you.

Before installing it, make sure you remove any AV's that you currently have on your PC.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
darkelixa said:
Comodo Internet Security with AVG Link scanner, good to go

Why AVG LinkScanner (latest version)?

I tried it yesterday, Chrome 18 managed to block the majority of exploit sites with Google Safe Browsing. The one download was flagged as Malicious and I was given the option to Discard it.

@ Bl4cK1911,
Are you familiar with Sandboxing software such as Sandboxie or BufferZone Pro?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I didn't encounter AVG Do-Not-Track on Chrome when I installed AVG LinkScanner. However, I heard that Ghostery runs better.

Are you sure AVG LinkScanner stops pop-ups? :rolleyes:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well on this thread

A translated link from separated extension for Chrome no toolbars added.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Bl4cK1911 said:
Hmm. thx all.. I wanna a free av..

Real time protection
What security products did you previously have install? When was the last time you have to deal with a computer infection?

As far as free goes Comodo Internet Security or Avast 7 Free are the top choices.
If you are the tech type of guy who likes to get involved when it comes to computer security then CIS is your best bet.
Avast 7 Free is a powerful and very user friendly AV which won't bother you at all and at the same time give you a strong layer of protection.

Always keep in mind that PC security starts with you , if you practice a smart behavior while online than you are greatly reducing the risk of an infection .... Here are some quick tips on how to avoid PC infections : http://malwaretips.com/Thread-5-easy-tips-to-avoid-infections

Additional on-demand scanners
You can add Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to your on-demand scanners as this most likely one of the top scanner available today.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free (Free) - link
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free utilizes Malwarebytes powerful technology to detect and remove all traces of malware including worms, trojans, rootkits, rogues, dialers, spyware and more.

VTUploader (Free) - link
To upload a file to VirusTotal, you can visit the main analysis site, click the Browse button to select a file from your hard drive, and then click the Send file button. You can make this process even easier with the free VirusTotal Uploader utility. After installing it, you can simply right-click any file under 20MB and choose "VirusTotal" from the Send To Windows menu. The scan results will display in your browser as usual.

Hitman Pro (Trial) - link
An on-demand scanner using multiple anti-malware engines and cloud technology. It offers unlimited free scanning but once you use it to remove detected malware it switches to a 30-day trial version. I recommend using it after you've scanned your hard-drive with the other products you have installed

Virtualization:
Virtualization software will allow you to browse the web or run another application in a completely safe environment. This is especially useful when visiting high-risk web sites, whether accidentally or deliberately, as the Web browser will be completely contained within the virtual enviroment, preventing any damage to your computer.
A sandbox can also be used to run any other applications which you think may be suspect - you can run the program inside the sandbox to determine whether or not it is safe while remaining completely protected against any malicious actions that it may try to carry out.
I strongly advise you to install Sandboxie and use it for when you're browsing the Internet or running shady/unknown programs(not that you should do that but... :) ) . Alternately you can try BufferZone PRO (Free) , another great virtualization software.
Sandboxie (Free/Paid) - link
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.

Always run suspicious of freshly downloaded files in a Sandboxie to verify that he download isn't compromised!Sandboxie will replicate perfectly your operating system so all the files should run without any problems in it.

Last edited:

Bl4cK1911

Thread author
Apr 1, 2012
Oh My.. God.. all of you are awesome.. so detailed replies. I love them <3
edit: sorry for posting in wrong section here.. I'll make a new topic right now.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
We have updated the Security Configuration Wizard since your last visit.

You can Edit > Full Edit (on Post#1) and fill in the blanks. :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.