Real-time security
Eset Smart Security 9
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
None
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Slimjet with uBlock & magic actions for youtube.
Maintenance tools
Wisecare 365
File and Photo backup
None

Black Faith

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 6, 2015
Have been pretty satisfied with this config for the last couple of months.I do change security products around every now and then just to see how well they perform.

Reactions: Logethica
D

Deleted member 178

Approved by Staff

2s9jymOt.jpg

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
You might want to add EEK(Emsisoft Emergency Kit) with Malwarebytes Anti Malware as a secondary scanner because EEK uses Bitdefender + Emsisoft. Other than that pretty good setup.

Reactions: Black Faith

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Windows built in defrag tool will do its job, so you could cut off on Auslogics one.
As for WOT extension, its a community based tool, so I wouldn't trust it blindly. Other versions are better or you could even go with DNS level protection instead, in which you can use Norton ConnectSafe.

I have a webcontrol installed from McAfee but I still have Norton ConnectSafe on router level, making it easier for me not to need to maintain several machines at the same time.

Reactions: Black Faith

Black Faith

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 6, 2015
You might want to add EEK(Emsisoft Emergency Kit) with Malwarebytes Anti Malware as a secondary scanner because EEK uses Bitdefender + Emsisoft. Other than that pretty good setup.
Thx for the advice but for the amount of internet browsing I'v been doing in the last few years i think im fine with just macrium to save images of my system before a big windows update just incase some things break.I just have youtube and gmail open most of the time and other then that I just spend my time gaming so not to worried about any nasty's:).
Windows built in defrag tool will do its job, so you could cut off on Auslogics one.
As for WOT extension, its a community based tool, so I wouldn't trust it blindly. Other versions are better or you could even go with DNS level protection instead, in which you can use Norton ConnectSafe.

I have a webcontrol installed from McAfee but I still have Norton ConnectSafe on router level, making it easier for me not to need to maintain several machines at the same time.
I just got used to the auslogics defrag tool since it's really damn fast and does a better job then the builtin defragging that windows has altough I know that defragging tool's aren't really needed nowadays.
In terms of WOT I know it's lost alot of value that it used to have awhile back thanks to people manipulating it to block legit sites however in general it still does an ok job and I still use it mostly cause it's been with me for so long it's hard to not use it.Either way I'll keep using it for awhile longer since it doesn't really slow down internet browsing and it's review's are still for the most part trustworthy.

Last edited:

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Thx for the advice but for the amount of internet browsing I'v been doing in the last few years i think im fine with just macrium to save images of my system before a big windows update just incase some things break.I just have youtube and gmail open most of the time and other then that I just spend my time gaming so not to worried about any nasty's:).

I just got used to the auslogics defrag tool since it's really damn fast and does a better job then the builtin defragging that windows has altough I know that defragging tool's aren't really needed nowadays.
In terms of WOT I know it's lost alot of value that it used to have awhile back thanks to people manipulating it to block legit sites however in general it still does an ok job and I still use it mostly cause it's been with me for so long it's hard to not use it.Either way I'll keep using it for awhile longer since it doesn't really slow down internet browsing and it's review's are still for the most part trustworthy.
I agree Macrium can get you out of most bad situations we can get ourselves into. ;)

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
@Black Faith I use Auslogics Disk Defrag too (portable version). It's my favorite disk defragmentation software, and also the best, in my opinion.

Macrium Reflect Free is indeed an extremely reliable system imaging application.

If you want an alternative to WOT, try BitDefender TrafficLight. I have it installed (but disabled) on all of the Firefox variants that I use. (Cyberfox, Mozilla Firefox)

Black Faith

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 6, 2015
@DracusNarcrym Might give it a try however after some very bad experiences with anything bitdefender like theyr internet security suite both 2015 and 2016 versions you can probably understand why I'm having some reservations about it:p.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Ok disabled WOT and added Bitdefender TrafficLight.Will see how it goes:D.
Awesome! Thing is, WOT is more community-based and all intelligence it has on websites comes primarily from community ratings.
On the contrary, BitDefender TrafficLight analyzes websites itself, using BitDefender cloud technologies, and does not rely primarily on community ratings.
That's the main, and most important difference between the two, and also it's the reason why I prefer BitDefender TrafficLight over WOT, personally. :p

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I believe the standalone McAfee extension for web browsers is now McAfee SECURE Safe Browsing. The EP ones are different slightly and more granular control via policies.

You can also get the McAfee WebAdvisor (EP and ES used the enterprises version): Link

Other alternatives are: Dr Web Link Checker, AVG Secure Search, Norton Safe Web.

But like I said, I prefer DNS of Norton to start off, paired with my McAfee setup.

Black Faith

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 6, 2015
@Inkurax

McAfee Secure Safe Browsing is only available on Chrome.I will never use any chrome based browser as long as I will have other options.McAfee WebAdvisor doesn't work with Firefox x64,I have managed to get it working some time ago but it dissapeared on reboot from my list of addons.The rest of them are just not that good in my opinion.
I do appreciate the recomandations though:p.

Last edited by a moderator:

TReyTyger

Level 1
Jun 28, 2016
You might like to add unchecky and malwarebytes anti-exploit to your existing config. just for extra layer of protection for exploits and scripts and pupies. These suggestions are upto you to add. Since I don't know your pc's tech specs so its all upto you to add or delete according to your ram and disk usage. Create Image and test it out and if you don't like you can always switch back and restore. Rest is great.

Welcome to MT and feel free to ask anything regarding anything.

Edit : geez you are here since 2015 I thought you just joined in.. lol Awkward :oops:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.