Dec 14, 2022
How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 11
On-device encryption
N/A
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Smart App Control
Off
Network firewall
Enabled
Real-time security
Microsoft Defender
RunBySmartscreen (for all downloaded files)
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Default settings
Periodic malware scanners
NPE, Malwarebytes, EEK
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
None
Browser(s) and extensions
Edge - uBo, Malwarebytes Browser Guard, 1Password
Firefox - uBo, Malwarebytes Browser Guard, 1Password
Chrome (main) - uBo, Malwarebytes Browser Guard, 1Password
Secure DNS
ControlD
Desktop VPN
IVPN/Proton as needed (rarely used)
Password manager
1Password
Maintenance tools
Everything
Bandizip
File and Photo backup
Macrium Reflect - Data
OneDrive
System recovery
Macrium Reflect - system image
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Ryzen 7 5800X
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wifi
32GB G.Skill Trident Neo 3600 cl16
RX 7900 XT
500GB WD SN550 NVME
2TB WD SN850X
500GB WD Blue SSD
1TB WD Blue HDD
Notable changes
Moved back to MD from F-Secure
What I'm looking for?

Not looking for any feedback.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@blackice

Great setup. Our ISP provides a free version of F-secure. I tried F-secure a few years ago and it had DeepGuard. Does F-secure still has it? From what I remember DeepGuard could be tweaked in the past and provide simular protection as OS-Armor (although I think that the shell command and parameter protection of OS-armor is the most granular because it works as a blacklist in default settings).

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
@blackice

Great setup. Our ISP provides a free version of F-secure. I tried F-secure a few years ago and it had DeepGuard. Does F-secure still has it? From what I remember DeepGuard could be tweaked in the past and provide simular protection as OS-Armor (although I think that the shell command and parameter protection of OS-armor is the most granular because it works as a blacklist in default settings).
I don’t think there are many options to tweak in F-Secure anymore. But DeepGuard is still part of the program.

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Updated

F-Secure Safe -> back to Microsoft Defender

Added RX 7900 XT which replaced my RTX 3070.

OSArmor has had a lot of false positives that have affected updates. I’ve removed it for now, but still have a license. Cautious browsing and adblocker should be fine. I only download directly from vendors and half the time have to exclude items to run them anyway.

Also, upgraded game drive to 2TB SN850X. Early Black Friday Christmas present from the spouse.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
OSArmor has had a lot of false positives that have affected updates. I’ve removed it for now, but still have a license.
I'm not a fan of FPs either which is one reason I no longer use VS. Long live Windows built-in features! :LOL:
Cautious browsing and adblocker should be fine.
Are you using Defender default? Of course, you'll be fine in any case.

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I'm not a fan of FPs either which is one reason I no longer use VS. Long live Windows built-in features! :LOL:

Are you using Defender default? Of course, you'll be fine in any case.
I am on default. It is the most user friendly and I rarely download anything with much risk associated. I also follow @Andy Ful advice of waiting a few days for smartsceen if I am at all unsure about something. I also refuse to put USBs that didn’t originate from me in this machine. I ran Defender default for years, and even Security Essential, and came out unscathed. I do run everything by smartscreen though.

Honestly I think FPs like F-Secure detecting Burnout Paradise City have given me more concern in my computing life than any real threat.

• Applause
Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.