Advice Request BleachBit system optimizer - Have you tried it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

[correlate]

Level 18
Thread author
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
When your computer is getting full, BleachBit quickly frees disk space. When your information is only your business, BleachBit guards your privacy. With BleachBit you can free cache, delete cookies, clear Internet history, shred temporary files, delete logs, and discard junk you didn't know was there. Designed for Linux and Windows systems, it wipes clean thousands of applications including Firefox, Internet Explorer, Adobe Flash, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari,and more. Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery, wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications, and vacuuming Firefox to make it faster. Better than free, BleachBit is open source.
BleachBit is available for Linux and Windows operating systems, and supports Winapp2.ini for better cleaning and CCEnhancer rules sets. Standard and portable versions of BleachBit are available to users. Using the program is not difficult, but users need a certain level of computer knowledge when choosing objects to clean.
In BleachBit 2.2, the following improvements and changes are included:

Additional support for cleaning programs, especially Waterfox, SmartFTP and aMule.
Optimize Chrome, Firefox, and Chromium cleanup.
Additional support for cleaning Opera on Chromium.
New command-line option - Clear space lets you remove traces of unused disk space.
Improved run time.
Added ability to delete tracks from clipboard.
BleachBit is an open source software that does not force you to upgrade to a Pro version at every step. Developers will have a good performance to update the interface to make them more attractive to users.

What program to clean the system you are using?

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I used BleachBit once. Never again. It deleted system files and as a result killed my Windows installation. I know that this is not normal behaviour for BleachBit, but it happened.

I use Kerish Doctor and Advanced SystemCare, which are both safe to use. But I don't really need to use either. Unless you have very little storage space, you don't actually need to use cleaning tools. Also, recent builds of Windows 10, include Storage Sense, which when enabled, automatically deletes junk files.

According to How To Geek, Storage Sense will by default, automatically delete files in the Downloads folder which are over 30 days old. On my systems, this was disabled by default and I would certainly hope that this setting would never be enabled by default.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Bleachbit is designed as a replacement for CCleaner but after a while of trying it, it's far far behind ccleaner
when applying ccenhancer rules to bleachbit, it lacks a lot of rules (with misreading of rules and errors) while ccleaner has full compatibility

by the way, these are all what I'm using now, each has different purpuses:
- CCleaner portable (blocked with firewall) + CCenhancer -> scheduled to run with Task scheduler
- Wise disk cleaner with advanced cleaning -> scheduled
- HDcleaner -> scheduled

- Dism++ for cleaning up WinSXS folders and sometimes, .net framework caches -> run manually, can free up to 1.5GB more after using all the above 3 cleaners
This made 1 laptop, which took 4mins to boot became faster than ever. The owner told me

Cleanmgr+: tried it for a while, not effective, I'm about to delete it

Last edited:

Raven_1

Jul 23, 2019
BleachBit is good enough for simpler tasks, but not really optimizing system. Most of those programs on default settings can do more harm than good. I have used CCleaner in the past but now I use Click&Clean for browser and for OS I have scripts to delete temp files and logs. Don't use any program from "optimizing" OS.

[correlate]

Level 18
Thread author
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
BleachBit is good enough for simpler tasks, but not really optimizing system. Most of those programs on default settings can do more harm than good. I have used CCleaner in the past but now I use Click&Clean for browser and for OS I have scripts to delete temp files and logs. Don't use any program from "optimizing" OS.
I am currently using System Mechanic, since 3 years it's good works with high efficiency.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I used BleachBit once. Never again. It deleted system files and as a result killed my Windows installation. I know that this is not normal behaviour for BleachBit, but it happened.
The same thing happened to me, I don't know why it was.
I have used it on Linux and I have never had a problem.
And now I have the portable version in Windows, but I use it little.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I use it daily. Mainly to erase history of opened/executed files and apps, and clean trash. I used Kerish Doctor for like two weeks and then gifted it to my family, I hated it so much. Constantly on, monitoring the system and claiming to be freeing RAM, giving an impact on boot. Not for me.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I use it daily. Mainly to erase history of opened/executed files and apps, and clean trash. I used Kerish Doctor for like two weeks and then gifted it to my family, I hated it so much. Constantly on, monitoring the system and claiming to be freeing RAM, giving an impact on boot. Not for me.
I have Kerish Doctor but not in real time.:p

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I used Kerish Doctor for like two weeks and then gifted it to my family, I hated it so much. Constantly on, monitoring the system and claiming to be freeing RAM, giving an impact on boot. Not for me.
You can disable real-time mode and then it won't run at startup and you can just run manual scans when you want.

Last edited:

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019

Use it in manual mode? Kerish is great

cliffspab

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
Kerish Doctor and Ashampoo WinOptimiser are among the safe tools. Never had any issues with them.

I used Kerish Doctor once, tried some system optimisations, and ended up with an sihost.exe error that I could only fix by going back to my backup image on Aomei

On which note, thank you to everyone who strongly recommends a full system backup! Aomei has already saved me a lot of hassle since I started using it.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I used Kerish Doctor once, tried some system optimisations, and ended up with an sihost.exe error that I could only fix by going back to my backup image on Aomei

On which note, thank you to everyone who strongly recommends a full system backup! Aomei has already saved me a lot of hassle since I started using it.

Erros can happen. Full system backups are fundamental.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.