Bleachbit vs CCleaner

Compare list
Bleachbit [URL='https://www.bleachbit.org/']Clean Your System and Free Disk Space | BleachBit[/URL]
CCleaner [URL='https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner']CCleaner Professional | Try the world’s most trusted PC cleaner, free![/URL]
In-depth Comparison

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I don't like either. I prefer Wise Disk Cleaner. It does a very good of cleaning junk files, because it can clean junk files from large amount of third party apps. You can schedule it run automatically. Finally, it doesn't have a registry cleaner, which is good, as registry cleaners can sometimes cause problems.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
The choices you present are dependent on the type of user you are, what installed apps you have, etc.

I use built-in + BleachBit + browsers' built-in at the moment since I'm keeping things very simple on my machine. Like @roger_m I like and have used Wise. Hey roger, does Wise clean Edge Chromium now? :unsure:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

I think this is the best place. I think cleaner should be considered separately from protection. Rather the cleaner may try to send something.:):coffee:

You are correct. I completely missed that. :rolleyes:

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
I tried Wise for a few months... I didn't like the amount of unnecessary options it had (and the way it always wanted to optimize every single thing - even those i didn't want, requiring me to whitelist each of them). And i experienced some problems with a gigabyte app after installing Wisecare (despite idk it was the responsible).

Ccleaner i've been using for years and never faced a problem. If you use the options tab, you can add almost anything you would like to clean (for example, i set an option to clean cache files from Brave if they are older than 15 days, so i keep cache i'm currently using and clean those that are useless). Besides that, it is efficient and does not cover unnecessary stuff.

I tried others too, like: Ashampoo winoptimizer, Glarysoft and Kerishdoctor.

For me, the top 3 are: Ccleaner, Wise Care and Kerishdoctor (the last one have a lot of options too). Another good app is Glasysoft.

I never heard about Bleachbit.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I tried Wise for a few months... I didn't like the amount of unnecessary options it had (and the way it always wanted to optimize every single thing - even those i didn't want, requiring me to whitelist each of them). And i experienced some problems with a gigabyte app after installing Wisecare (despite idk it was the responsible).
The registry cleaner in Wise Care 365 and Wise Registry Cleaner, sometimes will want to delete valid registry keys (so will CCleaner), which can cause problems. Wise Disk Cleaner is only a junk cleaner, it doesn't have the registry cleaner or tuneup features of Wise Care.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
The registry cleaner in Wise Care 365 and Wise Registry Cleaner, sometimes will want to delete valid registry keys (so will CCleaner), which can cause problems. Wise Disk Cleaner is only a junk cleaner, it doesn't have the registry cleaner or tuneup features of Wise Care.

Yes, i tried the Wise Care version... I didn't know about the Disk cleaner option. Ty!

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Yes, i tried the Wise Care version... I didn't know about the Disk cleaner option. Ty!

Avoid using the Advanced Cleaning and Slimming System if you do not understand them. The latter caused me some hiccups once, though they were not fatal or a big deal. Common cleaners are very good and problem-free. BleachBit is also very good and open source.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
The choices you present are dependent on the type of user you are, what installed apps you have, etc.

I use built-in + BleachBit + browsers' built-in at the moment since I'm keeping things very simple on my machine. Like @roger_m I like and have used Wise. Hey roger, does Wise clean Edge Chromium now? :unsure:
I used Wise 365 & the slimming option & I lost 20 pounds instant, I look much better when I look in the mirror, I think Wise excellent & waiting for New Edge option, also also Cyrobo Clean Space is first class too.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I was a long-time user of CCleaner until the malware got onto Avast servers and was served up with a previous update edition of CCleaner. I'd tried using Wise Care and Bleach Bit before, and have been using both more regularly since I decided to stop using CCleaner after that security breach. I like them both but I don't feel that they clean out as much junk and user traces as CCleaner, with a lot of the extra settings enabled in CCEnhancer.

I've been looking for alternatives recently and I've considered trying a new version of CCleaner. I'm not sure that I trust Avast in their present guise( I was formerly a regular user of their anti-virus), the company seems to be a different one to the one that I was confident in their products. Piriform, CCleaners previous owners, had often supplied updates of CCleaner with the check box to install G**gle Chrome browser filled in. I didn't like that practice, its a bit like installing malware to my mind, then Avast tried to install Avast antivirus through a CCleaner update in a similar manor last year. I decided to stay away from it because of this type of practice. They've had a few 'hiccups' recently and I'm not sure that I want to have to deal with those. I tried a trial of the paid for version of Kcleaner but I felt that there wasn't enough control over what it cleaned for me. There is a new version 3.0 of BleachBit out currently, I'm using that as my regular cleaner . backed up by using Wise care less often. They work well together, but I sometimes find some temp files etc on my PCs after using both.

There is a market (of me at least!) for a cleaner that does better than is what seems to be out there currently.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
There is a new version 3.0 of BleachBit out currently, I'm using that as my regular cleaner . backed up by using Wise care less often. They work well together, but I sometimes find some temp files etc on my PCs after using both.

WinApp2.ini has 2,500+ additional cleaners, and you may create custom cleaners with CleanerML using HTML. Unfortunately, I don't know coding.

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
I use CCleaner with CCEnhancer (unofficial add-on) that enables support for more programs.

CCleaner used to be just a simple and reliable cleaner but has been adding extra features or trying to bundle software that I don't need.

Some things I do:
  • I usually get the slim installer from the builds page instead of the main page. The portable installer is also on that page if you prefer that version.
  • Block CCleaner.exe and CCleaner64.exe from phoning home in Windows firewall.
  • Delete CCUpdate.exe which is the emergency updater for the program. It has the tendency to trip Windows Controlled Folder Access feature so I deleted the updater to stop getting notifications that it was blocked. I use SUMo (Software Update Monitor) to keep my programs up to date anyways so I don't need the updater from CCleaner.
  • Disable any monitoring in the Monitoring tab under settings. I don't need it or want it running in the background.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I use CCleaner with CCEnhancer (unofficial add-on) that enables support for more programs.

CCleaner used to be just a simple and reliable cleaner but has been adding extra features or trying to bundle software that I don't need.

Some things I do:
  • I usually get the slim installer from the builds page instead of the main page. The portable installer is also on that page if you prefer that version.
  • Delete CCUpdate.exe which is the emergency updater for the program. It has the tendency to trip Windows Controlled Folder Access feature so I deleted the updater to stop getting notifications that it was blocked. I use SUMo (Software Update Monitor) to keep my programs up to date anyways so I don't need the updater from CCleaner.
  • Disable any monitoring in the Monitoring tab under settings. I don't need it or want it running in the background.
I also delete all lang files (default English is enough) and CCleaner.exe on a 64bit system.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I agree with your post and in particular with these highlighted points that are well worth taking note of.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.