BlitzSpectre's Security Config

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlitzSpectre

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2017
Hi All,

So after reading posts on MalwareTips for just over 6 months, this is my current security configuration. It's nothing special or fancy at all. I have tried to keep it quite simple with as little fuss required along with safe browsing habits to protect me. Also, I have installed VoodooShield and followed the settings guide for Kaspersky on MT. Any suggestions are very welcomed.

Best wishes,

BlitzSpectre

Last edited:

a1nn

Level 2
Verified
Jun 5, 2017
Hi, what I suggest you doing is:
  • Include some more second-opinion scanners. Consider Zemana Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Emergency Kit.
  • Remove VoodooShield. If you have Kaspersky's Application Control to untrust unknown applications, and you don't randomly run programs, you would be better off.
  • I think you mean Kaspersky Internet Security, not Kaspersky Internet Protection.
  • I would remove Avira Browser Safety because the latest update includes a adblocker, which might unnecessarily increase RAM and CPU usage while only giving slightly more protection.
  • Add HTTPS Everywhere.
Thanks for sharing your config! :D

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Things look quite good here! Zemana will be a nice addition to your on-demand scanners.
I would suggest you to reduce the list of web URL blockers - uBlock, Kaspersky, Avira. Having 3 simultaneously can affect browsing speed and sometimes cause conflicts.
VDS with KIS is a superb combination, however if you've kept VDS only for its AI threat score, you can replace it with the portable version to lighten your real-time protection. KIS already has a good Application Control restricting the rights of unknown and risky applications.

Last edited:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Macrium Reflect is more versatile than standard Windows backup. Consider MR as an alternative. Nice and simple config.

BlitzSpectre

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2017
Thanks all! I've read your advice and along with it made some changes.

This includes removing the Avira Browser Safety Extension, adding HTTPS Everywhere, disabling the URL blocking on uBlock Origin, leaving on only the blocking of tracking stuff. I've also installed Emsisoft Emergency Kit as a on demand scanner and Macrium Reflect Free to replace Windows Backup.

iapyx, I might keep VoodooShield for now given that Kaspersky's Application Control seems a bit too much for me at the moment but once I learn more about it I am willing to try out your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.