App Review Block Avast Antivirus Telemetry, Ads, Popups and Overseer without Blocking avastui.exe

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I don't get what you mean but I think I would do everything regardless of overlap to prevent telemetry as much as possible
About the second video about Overseer.exe, would it help if I blocked the process from connecting to internet using simplewall. Will that serve the purpose instead of deleting it, as some of them including Avast support team @Milosh here mentioned it also helps fixing Avast service when it isn't running.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Kaspersky Cloud Free and/or WiseVector seem like a better choice than putting up with Avast, but I guess some people really like Avast.
- Avast Hardened mode aggressive + blocking scripts (java, powershell, wscript,...): almost impenetrable for regular users. Relatively light (after tweaks) but more buggy and more annoying. I don't use it anymore
- Kaspersky free: best free AV but is still penetrable due to the lack of default-deny module like Avast above. It still has a problem with not respecting my setup (Choose Scan mode "On execution" but it still scans my exe files when I open a folder). Quite light but the mentioned problem is a deal-breaker for me
- Wisevector: the lightest of the 3. I rate it more or less equal to Kaspersky, no joke. Better against new malwares. Kaspersky has better exploit protection and more consistent against all malwares overall. Lack of default-deny like avast. I use Wisevector because of its great protection and its light-weight

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Well, Kaspersky Security Cloud Free can be tweaked as almost the same light-weight as Avast, system impact shouldn't be noticeable on modern Hardware.
For sure it's worth to mention that Hardened Mode enabled causing sometimes blocks for new updated software until it will be whitelisted by Avast, that's a problem for the average home user as mostly those people are unable to handle notifications by AVs.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Been so long since I used Avast that I didn't realize it now has a default-deny option. Sounds like they really stepped their game up.
hardened mode aggressive is partially default-deny but it only covers limited number of extensions (.exe, .tmp or .dll if I recall correctly). For other extensions, it doesn't work -> still need to strenghen/block these extensions with other programs
Aggressive: only whitelisted executables (by avast's cloud) can run
Moderate: blocks all executables without digital signatures or they match certain criteria
this is great but there are many FPs for novices

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
hardened mode aggressive is partially default-deny but it only covers limited number of extensions (.exe, .tmp or .dll if I recall correctly). For other extensions, it doesn't work -> still need to strenghen/block these extensions with other programs
Aggressive: only whitelisted executables (by avast's cloud) can run
Moderate: blocks all executables without digital signatures or they match certain criteria
this is great but there are many FPs for novices
One doubt (off topic): Application control from Kaspersky can block which extensions?

About FPs: Pretty hard to happened, I suffered more with FPs when using Bitdefender (blocking Steam games and games updates) because of its aggressive heuristics than with Avast. Furthermore, Avast has a huge cloud database too if it's not the biggest and they're very fast at whitelisting/blacklisting things.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
One doubt (off topic): Application control from Kaspersky can block which extensions?
All of these ones:

1613071470178.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.