Troubleshoot Blue Screen of Death!

ravenosky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2014
I am almost done paying off my laptop. I keep getting the blue screen, and always the same error. Says that the display driver failed to restart. I started getting this when I closed the laptop and put it to sleep, but just now I went to launch a game I have had no issues with before and the screen faded to blue-white and then I got the blue screen error. I copied the details and will upload it. I can not upload the two files referenced, if those are needed let me know.

Please help me since the store I got this from will only do a factory restore on it, and often times they blame me for getting it infected with a virus. I run scans often and no viruses have come up. I would rather find a better solution than resorting to wiping my whole system clean.

Attachments

• bsod.txt
    721 bytes · Views: 448

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
This is caused by the video card failing to wake up from a timeout, or in less technical terms, the video card isn't responding when the laptop wakes up and wants to start the display again. This is what is meant by 0x116 ;) For anyone interested, the third parameter which represents the last operation that occurred is blank as the video driver is not starting ;)

Unfortunately there are hardware causes for this as well as software, so to rule out the latter (or not), could you try booting into safe mode?

Press and hold F8 as your computer is starting up (the bit before the Windows logo appears) and on the next screen titled "Advanced Boot Options" select "Safe Mode".

Let me know how you get on, and we can start debugging :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hi Ravenosky, coincidentally I just experienced a "kernel display error". For your problem I did a search;
...and see now Cowpipe is on the case!:) He truly knows what's what.
Only after you've had a chance to follow Dr. C's prescription do I suggest referring to related information I'd found.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2507083
Good luck, and I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of preventing this in the future.;)

Reactions: marg and Cowpipe
Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Visit our laptop's manufacture support site and download the correct updated drivers.
If you have used any Driver Update software it can cause this problem by installing to wrong drivers.
Only get your updated drivers from your manufacture site.

Download WhoCrashed , install it and post the logs.

Other things that can cause this problem is a faulty video card, faulty cooling system (fans), blocked cooling vents, security software products, system maintenance tools, registry cleaners and anything else including malware that can change system configuration.

Enjoy!! :D

Reactions: marg
Upvote 0

ravenosky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2014
This is caused by the video card failing to wake up from a timeout, or in less technical terms, the video card isn't responding when the laptop wakes up and wants to start the display again. This is what is meant by 0x116 ;) For anyone interested, the third parameter which represents the last operation that occurred is blank as the video driver is not starting ;)

Unfortunately there are hardware causes for this as well as software, so to rule out the latter (or not), could you try booting into safe mode?

Press and hold F8 as your computer is starting up (the bit before the Windows logo appears) and on the next screen titled "Advanced Boot Options" select "Safe Mode".

Let me know how you get on, and we can start debugging :)

Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking? What do you wish me to do after I do that?

Upvote 0

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking? What do you wish me to do after I do that?

Standard "Safe Mode" will do, just boot up and see whether you can load windows, no need to run any diagnostic tools at the moment. Make sure to do a normal shut down though ;) ~ And plug the laptop into the mains power if you can, since lack of power can cause problems with the video card starting up

Edit: Actually could you run WhoCrashed (see LittleBits link above) and upload the log and the actual dump file (.DMP), I'd like to have a look at that in more detail.

Reactions: marg
Upvote 0

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Hi Ravenosky, coincidentally I just experienced a "kernel display error". For your problem I did a search;
...and see now Cowpipe is on the case!:) He truly knows what's what.
Only after you've had a chance to follow Dr. C's prescription do I suggest referring to related information I'd found.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2507083
Good luck, and I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of preventing this in the future.;)

Ah, Cats- my trusty sidekick on the case :D

The information you're referring to in the thread talks about overheating, which is another possible cause :) You see, when a BSOD occurs, it normally comes with an error code which is in hexadecimal form like 0x00000001 etc... This is valuable information because it tells us exactly what the problem is, in this case 0x116 is known as VIDEO_TDR_ERROR which occurs when the display driver can't be recovered from a 'timeout' or more technically speaking, when the operating system detects six or more GPU hangs occurring within a minute (indicating the GPU or graphics card, isn't functioning correctly).

There are a number of possible causes, some technical, some not so technical but the solution and further tests really depends on if this is a hardware or software problem ;)

Upvote 0

ravenosky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2014
The site won't let me upload the files directly so I uploaded them to google drive, here are the links.
The files referenced originally in the crash details:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B--D1YzYGNNVaFVjc01mTk4yR1E/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B--D1YzYGNNVbDdjOVd5SHpxaU0/edit?usp=sharing

The WhoCrashed report:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B--D1YzYGNNVaVZzMWFZVHVoSDQ/edit?usp=sharing

Hope these helped. I read the conclusion of the report and it does seem to be a third-party driver. Please tell me how to go about fixing the issue if that is actually the case.

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
This is caused by your AMD display driver or video card hardware, did you try what the WhoCrashed report recommended to do?
To go your AMD manufacture website look up the model of your hardware and find the correct version of display adapter driver required, do not use third-party driver update programs since most will give you the wrong driver.

Use a product like Speccy to find out the model of your video card then use the drop down menu on AMD support site and select the correct driver.

Enjoy!! :D

Upvote 0

ravenosky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2014
Hey, thanks, I was looking on the Asus website for the driver update and could not find any display driver updates for my Asus model. I am downloading the update from AMD. I have a question, will this get rid of that third-party driver that WhoCrashed says is causing the my laptop to crash?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

May be a good idea if those drivers are not "vital" , i think you can start by updating the faulty driver first.

Upvote 0

ravenosky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2014
May be a good idea if those drivers are not "vital" , i think you can start by updating the faulty driver first.

I am already updating my driver. I want to know if this will get rid of the third-party one. If it does not, how do I get rid of it?

Edit: Driver is updated, so far so good. *crosses fingers*

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dubseven

Level 14
Verified
Aug 12, 2013
AMD drivers are very very very bad and boring.. i had a tons of problems with my AMD graphic card drivers..
Did you tryed to run in safe mode?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

atikmpag.sys is the faulty drivers , on google , type it , you will find many topic about the BSODs it provokes;

if you want remove it , use Process Hacker, install it, then go to drivers , look for atikmpag.sys and remove it. i will not recommend to do it like that unless you have its updated version under hands.

Upvote 0

ravenosky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2014
atikmpag.sys is the faulty drivers , on google , type it , you will find many topic about the BSODs it provokes;

if you want remove it , use Process Hacker, install it, then go to drivers , look for atikmpag.sys and remove it. i will not recommend to do it like that unless you have its updated version under hands.

faulty driver or third party driver? WhoCrashed said there was a third-party driver causing the BSOD. Is that what you mean by faulty?

Upvote 0

ravenosky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2014
Thanks. So far the update seems to be working. I will keep that last suggestion in mind if I get the bsod again.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.