Basic Security bob's Security Configuration 2018

bobsmith

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 18, 2018
good config or should something be added/changed? Really can't afford better software so I use what ever is the best free software/trials that I can
get..

bobsmith

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 18, 2018
Reputation of the operating system file:
Off: I suggest you activate it.
I suggest. a backup program: Macriun reflect.o AOMEI Backupper. in their free versions:
It is also interesting that you install HTTPS everywhere.
Thanks for sharing.:)
Reputation of the operating system file how do u active it?

Turn smartscreen ON
Remove malwarebytes and Qihoo.
You have comodo,dont be afraid.
just use comodo firewall by itsself? how do u turn smart screen on? or is that like lock screen?

Reputation of the operating system file:
Off: I suggest you activate it.
I suggest. a backup program: Macriun reflect.o AOMEI Backupper. in their free versions:
It is also interesting that you install HTTPS everywhere.
Thanks for sharing.:)
what is https everywhere?

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
You are unprotected with Qihoo, use a more decent AV, as mentioned you can not afford one, use a good free like Kaspersky Free next to CF, and also you can remove Malwarebytes Anti-Malware protection in real time, unnecessary and will consume more resourcesof the system.

bobsmith

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 18, 2018
You are unprotected with Qihoo, use a more decent AV, as mentioned you can not afford one, use a good free like Kaspersky Free next to CF, and also you can remove Malwarebytes Anti-Malware protection in real time, unnecessary and will consume more resourcesof the system.
why disable real time protection? or is that not needed with CF?

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Here are my recommendations:

Personally, I would add the following to your web browser for additional protection:

1) HTTPS Everywhere

I would also recommend that you use either of these backup tools as Microsoft's tools for backing up computers isn't the best:

1) Macrium Reflect v7 (Free) Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free
2) AOMEI Backupper Standard (Free) Best Free Backup Software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, Vista, XP

Please take the advice of @harlan4096 in his post found above.

Please make sure UAC is set to MAX as this will help with your security configuration too.

Some recommendations for on-demand scanners:

1) Norton Power Eraser (Free): Norton Rescue Tools
2) Zemana AntiMalware (Free you may be able to find a PRO key on MT): Zemana Anti-Malware | Advanced Malware Removal Software

I agree with what @Faybert has mentioned. Qihoo isn't the best... I wouldn't recommend it to anyone at the moment or any time soon. Kaspersky Free would be far better than Qihoo. Other recommendations? Avast free isn't too bad. There is some goofy things that can happen with the software once in a while; however, this AV is solid. Give Kaspersky Free a try!

~Brian

bobsmith

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 18, 2018
Here are my recommendations:

Personally, I would add the following to your web browser for additional protection:

1) HTTPS Everywhere

I would also recommend that you use either of these backup tools as Microsoft's tools for backing up computers isn't the best:

1) Macrium Reflect v7 (Free) Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free
2) AOMEI Backupper Standard (Free) Best Free Backup Software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, Vista, XP

Please take the advice of @harlan4096 in his post found above.

Please make sure UAC is set to MAX as this will help with your security configuration too.

Some recommendations for on-demand scanners:

1) Norton Power Eraser (Free): Norton Rescue Tools
2) Zemana AntiMalware (Free you may be able to find a PRO key on MT): Zemana Anti-Malware | Advanced Malware Removal Software

I agree with what @Faybert has mentioned. Qihoo isn't the best... I wouldn't recommend it to anyone at the moment or any time soon. Kaspersky Free would be far better than Qihoo. Other recommendations? Avast free isn't too bad. There is some goofy things that can happen with the software once in a while; however, this AV is solid. Give Kaspersky Free a try!

~Brian
thank you for ur recommendations i am in the process of doing what @harlan4096 said.. as far as zemana goes i must stick with the free version no keys can i find... is the pro version really need if real time protection is disabled and i am switching to kaspersky free?

Reactions: Lightning_Brian

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
thank you for ur recommendations i am in the process of doing what @harlan4096 said.. as far as zemana goes i must stick with the free version no keys can i find... is the pro version really need if real time protection is disabled and i am switching to kaspersky free?

Hi @bobsmith ! Your welcome. Good deal. Please implment this.

Bummer on ZAM. The free version should be good enough. Just make sure to keep it updated and scan manually a few times a week and you should be good to go. ZAM free is great! Plus fast scanning - did I say fast? I mean super fast scanning! I'd recommend it to anyone as it adds a nice security layer to any configuration. Plus, in my humble opinion one cannot have too many on demand scanners (unless you have like 10+ then you can be like me 'paranoid' which I call security conscious). In all honesty if you use all of the on demand security measures transfer over to a great AV and use the recommend backup programs you will be in good shape. Macrium Refect or AOMEI Backupper are both great solutions. Pick one and use it for a bit. Macrium Refect has two thumbs up from me – take a look at viBoot 2! (y)(y):D Once you dive into Macrium Refect free you'd always wonder why you didn't find this program sooner - at least I did when I started using it a while back.

~Brian

bobsmith

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 18, 2018
Hi @bobsmith ! Your welcome. Good deal. Please implment this.

Bummer on ZAM. The free version should be good enough. Just make sure to keep it updated and scan manually a few times a week and you should be good to go. ZAM free is great! Plus fast scanning - did I say fast? I mean super fast scanning! I'd recommend it to anyone as it adds a nice security layer to any configuration. Plus, in my humble opinion one cannot have too many on demand scanners (unless you have like 10+ then you can be like me 'paranoid' which I call security conscious). In all honesty if you use all of the on demand security measures transfer over to a great AV and use the recommend backup programs you will be in good shape. Macrium Refect or AOMEI Backupper are both great solutions. Pick one and use it for a bit. Macrium Refect has two thumbs up from me – take a look at viBoot 2! (y)(y):D Once you dive into Macrium Refect free you'd always wonder why you didn't find this program sooner - at least I did when I started using it a while back.

~Brian
thank you brain

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
thank you brain

You bet @bobsmith ! We are all here to help you improve your security and become more secure.

May I recommend one more great utility to you?

Revo Uninstaller (Free): Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

I use the professional portable edition, but I'm a tech. and received that license for a really good deal on Revo's 'birthday' celebration. This tool can really help you out if you want to make sure you got all of the leftovers that Microsoft forgot to remove or didn't know how to remove.

Holler if you need anything! Be sure to keep us posted on your changes. You can edit your configuration by going into the tools and edit the fields button. Let us know if you need help with this. Once again, thanks for posting your configuration. Let's make it great!

~Brian

bobsmith

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 18, 2018
You bet @bobsmith ! We are all here to help you improve your security and become more secure.

May I recommend one more great utility to you?

Revo Uninstaller (Free): Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

I use the professional portable edition, but I'm a tech. and received that license for a really good deal on Revo's 'birthday' celebration. This tool can really help you out if you want to make sure you got all of the leftovers that Microsoft forgot to remove or didn't know how to remove.

Holler if you need anything! Be sure to keep us posted on your changes. You can edit your configuration by going into the tools and edit the fields button. Let us know if you need help with this. Once again, thanks for posting your configuration. Let's make it great!

~Brian
which is better? iobit uninstaller or revo? or would they be basically the same?

Reactions: Lightning_Brian

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
which is better? iobit uninstaller or revo? or would they be basically the same?

@bobsmith I have heard a half dozen one way and a half dozen the other way. Personally, I use Revo! However, this is to not say that iobit isn't good though. If anything give Revo a try and see if you like it over iobit - what is nice is that you can download it for free and keep it for free (as there is a free version).

Good question!

~Brian

bobsmith

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 18, 2018
@bobsmith I have heard a half dozen one way and a half dozen the other way. Personally, I use Revo! However, this is to not say that iobit isn't good though. If anything give Revo a try and see if you like it over iobit - what is nice is that you can download it for free and keep it for free (as there is a free version).

Good question!

~Brian
thank you again brain, i will look into revo and see which one i prefer

bobsmith

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 18, 2018
kaspersky free has been recommended to go along with CF... what about kaspersky AV or emsisoft anti-malware? i have a friend that has a license for both and he doesn't use either... thanks again for all and any input

Reactions: harlan4096

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
kaspersky free has been recommended to go along with CF... what about kaspersky AV or emsisoft anti-malware? i have a friend that has a license for both and he doesn't use either... thanks again for all and any input

Both work perfectly fine with CF from the best of my knowledge!

If anyone knows of anything he may need to configure up please feel free to chime in, but from my past experiences while I was using Kaspersky I didn't have to tweak things up (or maybe it has been too long and I forgot I had to make any tweaks).

@Umbra from Emsisoft could help to answer this question. Good man, could you provide some insight on the side of Emsisoft for @bobsmith ? I don't believe he has to configure anything up to use CF does he? If you could provide some insight that would be great.

@harlan4096 or @JM Security to the best of my knowledge Kaspersky works right out of the box with CF right? I havn't used Kaspersky in a very long time after I turned over to Norton for my security (no it wasn't because of 'Russians'). Thanks guys!

~Brian

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.