Troubleshoot Bogus Microsoft de-activation message

Infected operating system
iPad is OS 13.5.1, iphone is iOS 13.6.1
Infected device
iPhone 7 Plus. And iPad Air 2
Infected device issues
Received a bogus email saying my Microsoft account would be deactivated if I didn’t confirm my info. I checked the website, and found it to be bogus. The information I got said it is adware from something I downloaded. How do I get rid of this?
Steps taken to remove the infection
I just received the message this morning...haven’t done any thing yet...just started searching.

Coopsmom

Thread author
Oct 3, 2020
I received an email saying my Microsoft account would be de-activated in 24 hours if I didn’t confirm my info. I checked the website, and it’s bogus, but I have been infected to the degree I will get these bogus messages. This is on my IPhone 7, and IPad 2. What can I do ?

Reactions: upnorth

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Microsoft (and others) will never ask you to confirm your details.

1. Report as Phishing
2. Block the Sender (although may not be effective)
3. Delete the email

- Do not open any links in the email to your browser.
- Do not enter any credentials (email/passwords).

Protect your Microsoft account:
  • Use a secure password manager to generate a password 12+ characters/digits/symbols
  • Enable 2nd Factor Authentication
  • Download Microsoft Authenticator
  • Review your recent activity
Extra, but not required:
Change your alias and use as default for sign-in.

If you use Outlook apps for emails:
- How to deal with phishing in Outlook.com
- Check the Junk filter is enabled

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.