Bombus Security Config

Windows Edition
Pro
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
Avast free; Comodo firewall (cruelsister's advise); Sandboxie (I use it every day for all sites (MT included); Hitmanpro.Alert (free).
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
MBAM Free, Zemana Free, Hitmanpro Free.
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Mozilla( Adguard, Avira Browser safety; Bitdefender Trafficlight). Flash player - ask to activate; Java, silverlight, Adobe reader - absent in my system
Maintenance tools
Ccleaner
File and Photo backup
Aomei free or manualy
System recovery
Aomei

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Looks good to me so far, but regarding "Non. I have them all in a word document" - I would use a password protected, even better 2FA protected PW manager, for e.g. LastPass, to prevent password stealing by trojans / data loss.
BTW there is a ZAM giveaway ATM, feel free to join in :)

Bombus

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 12, 2016
Thanks for greetings:))) To Der.Reisende - I don't trust password managers. My word document is in a folder protected by Sandboxie (when browsing Sandboxie blocks access to that folder by all apps). And Comodo is set to protect that folder (Right now I have enabled HIPS and put that folder into ,,Protected objects". And i keep a copy of that word in 2 USB's and a Removable disk. And my passwords are a bit modified. Let's say, my real password for some forum is 56+?yu}*+FG45F? , but I added an ,,a" and it looks like a56+?yu}*+FG45F? . Cheers:)

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Thanks for greetings:))) To Der.Reisende - I don't trust password managers. My word document is in a folder protected by Sandboxie (when browsing Sandboxie blocks access to that folder by all apps). And Comodo is set to protect that folder (Right now I have enabled HIPS and put that folder into ,,Protected objects". And i keep a copy of that word in 2 USB's and a Removable disk. And my passwords are a bit modified. Let's say, my real password for some forum is 56+?yu}*+FG45F? , but I added an ,,a" and it looks like a56+?yu}*+FG45F? . Cheers:)
Sounds good, thanks for the explanation! Have a great day further :)

Reactions: DardiM and frogboy
L

Lucent Warrior

Too many layers for my taste, but does appear you have most aspects covered. You should change the "participate in the Malware Hub to (NO)" as a new member you do not have access to the links, an are not able to participate. If you were able, i would strongly suggest not trying to test on your Host PC.

Bombus

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 12, 2016
Too many layers for my taste, but does appear you have most aspects covered. You should change the "participate in the Malware Hub to (NO)" as a new member you do not have access to the links, an are not able to participate. If you were able, i would strongly suggest not trying to test on your Host PC.
Hi, Lucent. Sandboxie is my first line of defence when browsing internet. Avast and Comodo - second line of defence. About Malware hub - I would like to participate in order to get malware samples and send them to Avast. But I don't insist on beeing accepted. I have malocode account. And I don't execute malware.

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
A lot of samples (on several websites) have .bin added after the real extension, to avoid pb on accidental execution.
But I always test with Shadow Defender enabled ( because I'm paranoid :p)

Last edited:

Bombus

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 12, 2016
Be aware that even scan only can trigger malware in some cases, however I haven't had this issue yet, knocking on wood.

EDIT: @Lucent Warrior was faster ;)
Maybe 4 -5 years ago I had interesting case. I downloaded a malware (I knew that was malware). My Avast (or maybe Avira) did't find a malware. When I decided to scan with Hitman pro. After i clicked throu explorer ,scan with Hitmapro", Windows alerted that some exe wanted to be launched. I clicked on ,,no". I tried to send to virustotal by virustotal uploader. Comodo HIPS alerted something about Nvidia (never before I had similar alert). I clicked to ,,deny". I Scanned with Emsisoft free. It detected malware. I put it into quarantine and after that I deleted the malware from the quarantine. So, It was one and unique case when malware can be triggered by antivirus scanner. Second case - i saw on DrWeb forum (According to a user, Dr.Web antivirus detected a malware, but instead of deleting it, malware was installed (if i am not mistaken). It was maybe 4-5 years ago, when Russian users were attacked by Lockscreen/Winlock ransomware.

Last edited:
Reactions: Der.Reisende

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Hope you have all personal files/details encrypted for the occasional "accidental execution", as SD may protect that system, but not stop outbound communication. ;) :p
If I accidentaly click on a .bin file, no execution :p
(All partition with Bitlocker, when I test, only C: with system accessible - no personal datas / details on it)

Nice config, @Bombus :)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.