Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Hello Guys,

I lately noticed some system impact with GlassWire installed (Qihoo 360 Compagnion). Therefore, I think about not reinstalling it.

Will Windows 10 Firewall be enough, as GlassWire is more an network monitor i guess? It does not enhance / replace the standardized Windows Firewall AFAIK?

I also plan to install the free Voodoo Shield, I came across this lately. Is the free version good enough? What are the real benefits from the paid version (I've read the comparison on their page).

Thank you very much in advance for your input :)

My System is already equipped as stated here:

Der.Reisende Sec 2015

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
As far as I know Glasswire only monitors so, its useless for me. Voodoo Shield worked fine for awhile & then acted up on my Win7 PC so I uninstalled it.
Thank you for your input :)

Reactions: Logethica

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Hi. Several weeks ago, I tried the free version of VoodooShield (VS) in both Win 7 virtual machine and Win 8 virtual machine.

Compared with the full (beta) version that I am currently using (still on a virtual machine), the major disadvantage of the free version, in my opinion, is that you cannot configure the free version, except editing the whitelist.

However, when I start to use the full version, I find that, there is nearly no need to modify the default configuration. Therefore, unable to configure the free version seems not to be a serious issue, in my opinion.

Nevertheless, in the free version, when you want to manually edit the whitelist, you can only edit iterms corresponding to singular executable files one by one. Only in the full version you can permanently whitelist or blacklist an entire folder. I think the significance of this feature varies from user to user. Personally I like this feature. But since it is easy to tell VS which file can be trusted through its training mode, users who do not frequently add new executable files to their computers might not need to rely on this feature.

Last edited:

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
No need to use Glasswire unless its the pro version. You're better off using Windows firewall control. Its a heck of a lot cheaper and easier to use. Voodooshield is a wonderful piece of software and it pairs well with WSA. The free version is pretty good by itself but I would use the pro version myself.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Used to have glasswire too, it was nice cause you were able to see a list of all the network in your system and click to block the network if you want to. But it was a little heavy for me too, and I installed ESET which came with a firewall so I uninstalled glasswire.

As for voodooshield, I am also using it now and I have to say that it takes some getting used to. Some times your programmes would run automatic updates and get blocked by voodooshield because by default it blocks everything unless you allow it. At first it can seem quite a hassle to keep clicking to allow it, but after awhile you'll see how many programmes actually install updates without informing you and make you worry that there could be malware doing the exact same thing and you have no clue.

Talking about the paid version of voodooshield (I use the free by the way), it wouldn't really affect the protection because voodooshield works the same paid or free. The benefit of the paid however is the flexibility of the settings, as a free version user, you won't be able to change much of the settings because they restrict it for the paid version only. However, while it may annoy you a little, the protection of the free version is still 100% of the paid version. So you can try the free version first, if you really really love it, and want to support them, you could purchase a paid version from them. But from what I can see you are free to use the free version for as long as you like.

Hope this answered a few of your questions!

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
No need to use Glasswire unless its the pro version. You're better off using Windows firewall control. Its a heck of a lot cheaper and easier to use. Voodooshield is a wonderful piece of software and it pairs well with WSA. The free version is pretty good by itself but I would use the pro version myself.

As far as I know Glasswire only monitors so, its useless for me. Voodoo Shield worked fine for awhile & then acted up on my Win7 PC so I uninstalled it.

Glasswire is great as a freeware program, the Pro features are just a few of them. Glasswire not just monitors it can also block connections from the Firewall tab and then clicking on the "Fire" icon to the leftmost of each program connection.

If anyone is facing high memory usage using Glasswire, simply clear the History logs, as it accumulates over time in memory through usage. Go to Settings->Clear History (All/Keep Last Week/Keep Last day)->OK. That should bring it down

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Thank you very much guys for this great input- comparison and sharing of experiences. Will have a look at VoodooShield now, will it conflict with HitmanPro.Alert?

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
As for voodooshield, I am also using it now and I have to say that it takes some getting used to. Some times your programmes would run automatic updates and get blocked by voodooshield because by default it blocks everything unless you allow it.
That's the reason one has to leave VoodooShield on training mode for a long period of time, for it to grow accustomed and whitelist everything in your pc.

H

hjlbx

Hello Guys,

I lately noticed some system impact with GlassWire installed (Qihoo 360 Compagnion). Therefore, I think about not reinstalling it.

Will Windows 10 Firewall be enough, as GlassWire is more an network monitor i guess? It does not enhance / replace the standardized Windows Firewall AFAIK?

I also plan to install the free Voodoo Shield, I came across this lately. Is the free version good enough? What are the real benefits from the paid version (I've read the comparison on their page).

Thank you very much in advance for your input :)

My System is already equipped as stated here:

Der.Reisende Sec 2015

I had same issues as you with GlassWire eating up memory and CPU resources on one of my AMD systems. I removed it not because of elevated resource usage, but instead because of very limited functionality.

Best available option for Windows Firewall is BiniSoft's Windows Firewall Control - which adds outbound network notifications to Windows. It is a pain to initially setup - but no where near as bad as creating all the rules required in Windows Firewall to get outbound alerts. WFC is automated and you create rules as files access the network. Admittedly, it is a pain in the beginning, but once rules are created it is quiet on a system that isn't changed very often.

WFC at $10 for Lifetime License and Unlimited Installations is a whale of a deal.

VooDooShield free is sufficient. VS is currently under heavy development.

I would suggest you also take a look at NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro - which is now freeware. Get the latest beta at Wilders Security.

That way you have two options to evaluate and you can choose whichever works best for you on your specific system.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
That's the reason one has to leave VoodooShield on training mode for a long period of time, for it to grow accustomed and whitelist everything in your pc.

@Der.Reisende
If you feel you have any problem with VoodooShield, then you can try out EXE Radar Pro
New Antiexecutable: NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro | Page 192 | Wilders Security Forums
(Here's a link to the free beta version)
Both programs are good, but I find EXE Radar Pro to be easier to use.

I had same issues as you with GlassWire eating up memory and CPU resources on one of my AMD systems. I removed it not because of elevated resource usage, but instead because of very limited functionality.

Best available option for Windows Firewall is BiniSoft's Windows Firewall Control - which adds outbound network notifications to Windows. It is a pain to initially setup - but no where near as bad as creating all the rules required in Windows Firewall to get outbound alerts. WFC is automated and you create rules as files access the network. Admittedly, it is a pain in the beginning, but once rules are created it is quiet on a system that isn't changed very often.

WFC at $10 for Lifetime License and Unlimited Installations is a whale of a deal.

VooDooShield free is sufficient. VS is currently under heavy development.

I would suggest you also take a look at NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro - which is now freeware. Get the latest beta at Wilders Security.

That way you have two options to evaluate and you can choose whichever works best for you on your specific system.

Thank you guys for your respond :)

I noticed a somewhat impact on boot time / login after I've installed VS...

Will not install GlassWire again so (I noticed the same that hjlbx mentioned, even after short use, although I really loved the easy and modern GUI).

Will try out the Firewall Control hjlbx mentioned, sounds pretty good, my system config remains usually the same, but OS is freshly installed from time to time :)

The thing that VS has to learn over a long time can therefore be a bit of a problem...

Will also have a look at the Exe Radar Pro you mentioned.

H

hjlbx

The thing that VS has to learn over a long time can therefore be a bit of a problem...

That is the proper way to use VS as it was intentionally designed to function that way.

Set it to Training Mode and go about using your system. When the training period expires VS will prompt you automatically to enable Smart (= Alert mode in NVT ERP) or Always On (= Lock-Down mode in NVT ERP).

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Does training mode mean that it will ask if you want to allow the program and then whitelist it forever?

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Does training mode mean that it will ask if you want to allow the program and then whitelist it forever?
In training mode, there's no 'asking' involve. The program will simply whitelist all the active processes and all other processes that appear when a program starts.

The VoodooShield website states
About VoodooShield™
"Training is effortless, the user simply starts the programs they normally use when VoodooShield is in Training Mode. Once the computer is trained, the user can then switch to Smart Mode or Always On mode, and it will then block all viruses and malware."

Of course this kind of mode has a setback. In that, if not careful, one might allow malware. Which is why it's important to make sure your computer is clean before using it.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
In training mode, there's no 'asking' involve. The program will simply whitelist all the active processes and all other processes that appear when a program starts.

The VoodooShield website states
About VoodooShield™
"Training is effortless, the user simply starts the programs they normally use when VoodooShield is in Training Mode. Once the computer is trained, the user can then switch to Smart Mode or Always On mode, and it will then block all viruses and malware."

Of course this kind of mode has a setback. In that, if not careful, one might allow malware. Which is why it's important to make sure your computer is clean before using it.
Ahhhh that's helpful! Thanks a bunch! :)

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Glasswire is great as a freeware program, the Pro features are just a few of them. Glasswire not just monitors it can also block connections from the Firewall tab and then clicking on the "Fire" icon to the leftmost of each program connection.

If anyone is facing high memory usage using Glasswire, simply clear the History logs, as it accumulates over time in memory through usage. Go to Settings->Clear History (All/Keep Last Week/Keep Last day)->OK. That should bring it down

Glasswire pro only has the notify of outgoing connections. Other than that its just monitoring software. Being able to look at network connections in pretty colors is nice though.

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Had to remove VS (thank you very much for the really helpful info though!), as it brings down PC performance so much :(
As it comes to Glasswire, thank you kjdemuth for your comparison of paid + free :)

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Glasswire pro only has the notify of outgoing connections. Other than that its just monitoring software. Being able to look at network connections in pretty colors is nice though.

If you have seen the Firewall tab clicking on the "Fire" icons will let you to block the connections. This is also available in the Freeware version.

Glasswire is not an advanced firewall but an advanced network monitoring software with basic firewall capabilities. And it's the best at what it does. The information it provides is huge and incomparable.

5WiDf69.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.