BootCD Problem (Updating Kaspersky Rescue Disk)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
RE: who here use ubuntu?

Bogdan to make it a summary

Win7holic was asking about why SARDU is having hang then next was asking about the USB modem connection that needs an update on his SARDU.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011

bogdan said:
I'm having a hard time understanding what this thread is about :)
win7holic - you want use a SARDU usb (or is it a DVD?) to clean your friends PC, but since your friend uses a USB modem that you can't find the drivers for, you can't update the definitions for the antivirus applications you have on the USB?

no..
itr true.. my friend use modem USB for connect internet.. then..
before use kav resc disc for example.. need to update database.. then, how to do that..?
my friend have USB modem.. plug and play.. it can or not.. work on kave resc disc or other to connect internet..??

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011

win7holic said:
bogdan said:
win7holic - you want use a SARDU usb (or is it a DVD?) to clean your friends PC, but since your friend uses a USB modem that you can't find the drivers for, you can't update the definitions for the antivirus applications you have on the USB?

no..
before use kav resc disc for example.. need to update database.. then, how to do that..?
my friend have USB modem.. plug and play.. it can or not.. work on kave resc disc or other to connect internet..??

you need to reload a newer version of kav resc disc so that you have the latest update and then burn it on a cd; kav rescue disk is no AV replacement.

When the kav is on, the use won't be able to connect to the internet; it scans before the OS can start so that no rootkit or other malware can start.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011

Valentin N said:
win7holic said:
bogdan said:

no..

you need to reload a newer version of kav resc disc so that you have the latest update and then burn it on a cd; kav rescue disk is no AV replacement.

When the kav is on, the use won't be able to connect to the internet; it scans before the OS can start so that no rootkit or other malware can start.

no.. no.. on YT video.. before scan.. need to update virus database then scans :)
my problem.. i cant connect use friend modem USB

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

It might not work. Kaspersky Rescue Disk is based on Linux and the drivers needed might not be available. Download the latest version of Kaspersky rescue disk (the database in that ISO is about 1 month old) and use the suggestion provided by James above (nice find).

You can also use Dr.Web Live CD that was updated recently (yesterday).

Another thing you could do is take his desktop to your home and use your own Internet connection.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

That's a nice idea bogdan, if his friend will allow to bring the desktop.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011

bogdan said:
It might not work. Kaspersky Rescue Disk is based on Linux and the drivers needed might not be available. Download the latest version of Kaspersky rescue disk (the database in that ISO is about 1 month old) and use the suggestion provided by James above (nice find).

You can also use Dr.Web Live CD that was updated recently (yesterday).

Another thing you could do is take his desktop to your home and use your own Internet connection.

hmm..
my friend dont want me grab the desktop and use my internet connection.. him scare, if i'm give him desktop with viruses
lol
its okay..
yes.. Dr.live i'm download on today.. (morning) 15hours ago (arround)
thx.. i'll use that.. thx bro.. and thx all my friend..
you all give another way ^^

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Edit: Bogdan do you have a plan to split this topic? Since its no longer about ubuntu ;) Thanks the topic was now been renamed.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011

jamescv7 said:
Edit: Bogdan do you have a plan to split this topic? Since its no longer about ubuntu ;) Thanks the topic was now been renamed.

already change name of topic :)
sorry for i'm mix that.. because.. i'm confuse to create new about bootCD problem :)
thx to bogdan

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
I tested the tool (Kaspersky Rescue Disk Updater TEN.2) James recommended and the sript returned an error: "!! Bootsector Missing !!"

To fix it open diskupdt.cmd with a text editor (Notepad works too)

Find (lines 78, 79):
Code:
if not exist .\kavrescue\boot\grub\grub_eltorito goto bs
.\tools\mkisofs -R -J -joliet-long -o kav_rescue_2010.iso -b boot/grub/grub_eltorito -c boot\boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-info-table -V "Kaspersky Rescue Disk" -boot-load-size 4 kavrescue

Replace the lines above with:
Code:
if not exist .\kavrescue\boot\grub\i386-pc\eltorito.img goto bs
.\tools\mkisofs -R -J -joliet-long -o kav_rescue_2010.iso -b boot/grub/i386-pc/eltorito.img -c boot\boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-info-table -V "Kaspersky Rescue Disk" -boot-load-size 4 kavrescue

Save the file (make sure you use the same *.cmd extension)

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
bogdan said:
I tested the tool (Kaspersky Rescue Disk Updater TEN.2) James recommended and the sript returned an error: "!! Bootsector Missing !!"

To fix it open diskupdt.cmd with a text editor (Notepad works too)

Find (lines 78, 79):
Code:
if not exist .\kavrescue\boot\grub\grub_eltorito goto bs
.\tools\mkisofs -R -J -joliet-long -o kav_rescue_2010.iso -b boot/grub/grub_eltorito -c boot\boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-info-table -V "Kaspersky Rescue Disk" -boot-load-size 4 kavrescue

Replace the lines above with:
Code:
if not exist .\kavrescue\boot\grub\i386-pc\eltorito.img goto bs
.\tools\mkisofs -R -J -joliet-long -o kav_rescue_2010.iso -b boot/grub/i386-pc/eltorito.img -c boot\boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-info-table -V "Kaspersky Rescue Disk" -boot-load-size 4 kavrescue

Save the file (make sure you use the same *.cmd extension)

wow..
thx bogdann :) :)
great ^^

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Oh, bogdan glad you identified the error I just only stumbled with some Google searches so no comment with this updater.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.