Brace Yourself for Kaspersky’s “Hack-proof” Operating System

W

Wave

We dont know what they have done and dont know even one line of the code.
That is like saying that ESET Smart Security cannot be exploited because we do not have the source code. No, there is something called reverse engineering and just messing around with the product to identify new things based on it's behaviour. ;) (both static and dynamic reversing).

We dont know what they have done and dont know even one line of the code. we should not bash it like this? maybe it is almost unhackable, who knows. if u dont anything about something dont be like that.
We are not really sharing real hate towards Kapsersky and I myself really like their products and recommend them often to people (I was mainly joking), but let me explain a bit better. Read the following quotes from the article:

So, when the company states that it has created a hack-proof operating system, users are bound to feel overjoyed.
* The system comes with a built-in security mechanism having the ability to control the operations and behaviors of the OS modules as well as the applications. This is what makes it hacking-proof.

Clearly, Kaspersky are creating a false sense of security. They seem to really believe they have created something that is "hack-proof", but anything can be exploited one way or another - especially if it has any sort of network to it - even a car can be hacked and then controlled remotely, I bet no one expected this to happen before it was done.

Anyone who believes that this OS is literally "hack-proof" due to the misleading advertisements by Kaspersky is going to be shook when they become compromised somehow one day by a hacker who has managed to "hack" it. Zero-day exploits exist for a reason, new vulnerabilities are found and then exploited all the time... It is impossible to hunt down and patch every single vulnerability which exists in a product because nothing is perfect and there will always be someone determined enough to put in the time and research to find a new problem which can be exploited (used to an advantage, often for malicious intent).

I do not hate Kaspersky nor any of their products, and I am even following this OS project now myself, but it is all a bit ridiculous to do some of the things they have done (e.g. complain at Microsoft for their practises), and then have the cheek to talk online about how they have developed an OS which is "hack-proof" (which in this day and age is literally impossible, because us humans are not perfect and somewhere beneath the hidden layers of their "protection" will be a problem which was overlooked/missed which can be exploited by an attacker).

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
We dont know what they have done and dont know even one line of the code. we should not bash it like this? maybe it is almost unhackable, who knows. if u dont anything about something dont be like that.
They say that it is hacker proof, but simply it is necessary to prove this and until the contrary evidence, some doubt exist.
I hope that they are right and we are on their side ;)

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Like I said, if they don't release security patches for several years, I will bow down to their god-like talents for making an impregnable OS. :D

But I know that Kaspersky team don't actually believe that their OS is unhackable. Reading between the lines, they were just expressing how good their OS is, since it's built with security in mind, and therefore any thinkable or possible exploits or hacks were taken cared of. :D

Obviously, as any other OSs, they will release security patches to address any vulnerabilities present. I'm sure of this. :D

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I think AV partners should come up with an idea with slipstreamed version of their AV in Win 10 for example, Win 10 w/ Kaspersky integrated and no WD and similarly others can follow this. The downside is higher cost for their lifetime license included with Windows and linked to your MS account. MS gets 25% profits from these custom OS versions. What do others think of my idea?

W

Wave

I think AV partners should come up with an idea with slipstreamed version of their AV in Win 10 for example, Win 10 w/ Kaspersky integrated and no WD and similarly others can follow this. The downside is higher cost for their lifetime license included with Windows and linked to your MS account. MS gets 25% profits from these custom OS versions. What do others think of my idea?
Microsoft won't want another vendor having control at default installation anyway, Microsoft want to be more involved in the security industry clearly. Otherwise they wouldn't be putting in all the effort they have been into WD.

However, that being said, in the past OEM manufacturers have bundled AV software by pre-installing the products and this still happens but is less common IMO. For example, it used to be popular with McAfee, Norton and Kaspersky.

Microsoft make plenty of profit as it is so why would they bother doing this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Microsoft won't want another vendor having control at default installation anyway, Microsoft want to be more involved in the security industry clearly. Otherwise they wouldn't be putting in all the effort they have been into WD.

However, that being said, in the past OEM manufacturers have bundled AV software by pre-installing the products and this still happens but is less common IMO. For example, it used to be popular with McAfee, Norton and Kaspersky.

I was referring to special made Win 10 aside from Vanilla Versions that is baked with WD. Some users prefer 3rd party AV, so its targeted mainly to them.

W

Wave

I was referring to special made Win 10 aside from Vanilla Versions that is baked with WD. Some users prefer 3rd party AV, so its targeted mainly to them.
Yes, I understand what you mean now, I edited my post before you replied again:

Microsoft want to be more involved in the security industry clearly. Otherwise they wouldn't be putting in all the effort they have been into WD.

It would be silly for Microsoft to help other vendors by doing this when they can keep Windows Defender built-into the OS by default as they are already doing which helps push people towards using Microsoft security instead of third-parties. Of course, the user can decide if they want to install a different third-party security product afterwards if they want, so Microsoft don't prevent anyone from using another product.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
even a car can be hacked and then controlled remotely, I bet no one expected this to happen before it was done.

Not my old Jeep LOL! o_O:D

I think AV partners should come up with an idea with slipstreamed version of their AV in Win 10 for example, Win 10 w/ Kaspersky integrated and no WD and similarly others can follow this. The downside is higher cost for their lifetime license included with Windows and linked to your MS account. MS gets 25% profits from these custom OS versions. What do others think of my idea?]

Not likely they would partner with Kaspersky, that I feel very confident of, considering the Russian courts have banned MS' LinkedIn from use in the country. The politics of computing lurk deep in the shadows sometimes.

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I think people got the wrong idea for what Kaspersky is trying to acomplish with their new OS, it is simple not a windows substitute and it isnt for the average user.

Kaspersky is aiming to be a universal adaptable OS for IoT devices and critical infrastructure like hospital/transport/nuclear power plant equipments, with this on my mind it can actually be hack-proof running a limited set of software by design.

Last edited:

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I think people got the wrong idea for what Kaspersky is trying to acomplish with their new OS, it is simple not a windows substitute and it isnt for the average user.

Kaspersky is aiming to be a universal adaptable OS for IoT devices and critical infrastructure like hospital/transport/nuclear power plant equipments, with this on my mind it can actually be hack-proof running a limited set of software by design.
I agree with all you're saying, except "it can actually be hack-proof running a limited set of software by design". :)

It will never be hack-proof. It will only be secured more and more (through security updates/patches), but it will never come to a point of being invulnerable to attacks. Kaspersky knows this, I believe. They would just use the term "hack-proof" for marketing purposes. :)

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I agree with all you're saying, except "it can actually be hack-proof running a limited set of software by design". :)

It will never be hack-proof. It will only be secured more and more (through security updates/patches), but it will never come to a point of being invulnerable to attacks. Kaspersky knows this, I believe. They would just use the term "hack-proof" for marketing purposes. :)

I fully agree with you, it isnt unhackable (marketing) but it should be a step up compared to other solutions.

Reactions: XhenEd
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Kaspersky says their “secure operating system” will be released soon.

Kaspersky is a security software developer and cyber security firm that is trusted by people globally. So, when the company states that it has created a hack-proof operating system, users are bound to feel overjoyed.

According to the company’s CEO
Eugene Kaspersky, this operating system has been under developmental stages from the past 14 years and now the day has finally arrived when it can be publicly unveiled. The name of the new OS is Kaspersky OS and the system was officially ready to be unveiled on November 11th that’s why within the company it is codenamed 11-11.

The OS was launched on a Kraftway Layer 3 Switch, which is the fundamental requirement for running Kaspersky OS. The Switch is designed for networks that require a high level of data security and it is like a breath of fresh air for the highly vulnerable Internet of Things devices.

The company states that the reason why they chose to start from scratch and not adopt the easier way of using Linux is because security was their main priority, which the current systems fail to provide.

“Everything has been built from scratch. Anticipating your questions: not even the slightest smell of Linux. All the popular operating systems aren’t designed with security in mind, so it’s simpler and safer to start from the ground up and do everything correctly. Which is just what we did.”

Instead of using Linux, the company decided to create an entirely new operating system, which is definitely a plus. This OS is quite different from others because of the various distinct features that it contains. Such as:

* It is Microkernel Architecture based, which allows users to fully customize the OS

* It is a GUI-Less OS and doesn’t require “even the slightest smell of Linux” to run

* The system comes with a built-in security mechanism having the ability to control the operations and behaviors of the OS modules as well as the applications. This is what makes it hacking-proof.

Read more: Brace Yourself for Kaspersky’s "Hack-proof" Operating System
This is honestly going to be the slowest OS. The OS will be bypassed - nothing is "unhackable" since it's only as good as the developers of the OS. If they want to make something "unhackable" they need to invite the world's greatest team of hackers to develop this OS, even then it won't be unhackable! It is GUI-Less - that doesn't sound good either :(

Reactions: Parsh and XhenEd

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
This is honestly going to be the slowest OS. The OS will be bypassed - nothing is "unhackable" since it's only as good as the developers of the OS. If they want to make something "unhackable" they need to invite the world's greatest team of hackers to develop this OS, even then it won't be unhackable! It is GUI-Less - that doesn't sound good either :(

It isnt for the average user, it is for IoT devices and infrastructure, it doesnt need a GUI.

See my post above:
Brace Yourself for Kaspersky’s “Hack-proof” Operating System

Reactions: XhenEd

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.