BRAND-NEW Norton Products [Norton Security] - Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popolitus

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 7, 2014
As far i read on norton forum,there is no problem using this,beside the fact is a beta

norton737

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 19, 2013
Some screenshots :
1y3kfn.png

2v8px0i.jpg

akhfzc.png

27wyfpu.png

vwxv8y.png

5349vm.png

2hdvfd4.png

21l7d6u.png

2pql0nc.png

Reactions: MrExplorer and Ink

trainbus120

Level 10
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
Norton over the years has lost grounds. I still remember when in around the years 2002-2005, anti virus in India meant Norton. Now It doesn't even come second. The biggest reason for this according to me is the product positioning. The competitors did the trick to Norton. Hope they come up the curve with this.

wajiman

Level 5
Verified
Jul 18, 2013
this is on of the AV vendors who has not provided any information on whether it detects NSA or state generated virus or not along with McCafee. People with privacy paranoia should avoid this such as me :)

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
If you really think any anti-virus out there is able to defend you against targeted attacks from government intelligence services, then I've got some news for you. IMHO those vendors who say they detect it are less truthful then those who say nothing at all, because they severely overestimate the capabilities of their product. On top of that a grand conspiracy of purposefully crafted backdoors in your software isn't necessary either.

If anything, an anti-virus makes you an easier target for a targeted attack. That goes especially for products with a web-anti-virus module that processes remote code with admin privileges or products that inject privileged content into sandboxed processes. Then you can achieve complete sandbox bypasses and instant admin privileges without even having to tamper with the sandbox or privilege escalation techniques.

So please install an anti-virus to protect you from the NSA, lol.

Reactions: wajiman

wajiman

Level 5
Verified
Jul 18, 2013
If you really think any anti-virus out there is able to defend you against targeted attacks from government intelligence services, then I've got some news for you. IMHO those vendors who say they detect it are less truthful then those who say nothing at all, because they severely overestimate the capabilities of their product. On top of that a grand conspiracy of purposefully crafted backdoors in your software isn't necessary either.

If anything, an anti-virus makes you an easier target for a targeted attack. That goes especially for products with a web-anti-virus module that processes remote code with admin privileges or products that inject privileged content into sandboxed processes. Then you can achieve complete sandbox bypasses and instant admin privileges without even having to tamper with the sandbox or privilege escalation techniques.

still I trust my provider coz if they lied, there will be millions of users suing them. so I don't think they will take that kind of risk of being less truthful by saying that they don't provide.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013

Well to some degree you are right, But you have to understand that AV vendors actually do detect governmental sponsored malware and attacks. However some of them are forced by law to white list them as they are not targeted at the civilian population.
You do underestimate the potential that AV programs have, specially the industrial versions which are modular build and come with a basic set out of the box. Symantec EP and Sophos EP are great examples of that.
Ones you start adding rules and protocols yourself their products truly become magic.
Same goes for custom hardware firewall gateway builds, they are entirely custom and have very strict and specific rules.
And if managed properly they take months and months to break down from a attack POV. And yes they do detect everything you trow at them for the plain and simple reason they have been configured in such way that it detect ANYTHING as bad if not pre-whitelisted.

In regards to your comment about crafted backdoors in software, it seems you are either blind or sleeping as windows 95 up to windows 8 have been modified for law enforcement access by using backdoors and other tricks.
The new motherboards do even have a hardware chip that serves as a entree point and you cannot block it, stop it or detect it.
Any OS and any internet, gps, radio/tv or communication device in general has build in access points... that's nothing new.
However the juicy part is that the access methods to those devices have been either given, bought or demanded by law/court or in some cases been hacked so that a agency like NSA can tap in.
Or do you really think the NSA and its crew are that brilliant? They literally forced companies to lower their security otherwise the NSA could not tap in.
Encryption is a good example, there are protocols that are near un-hackable even while using a super pc. But by law they are forbidden to be used in american based software as it would stop NSA death in their tracks.
Germany is stopping their windows contracts and move to a custom build Linux hybrid with domestic developed security why you think that is?

The NSA can do anything they like without much trouble because their foreign policy has shaped the landscape as such.
Things however start to change as NON US companies start to develop technology that is far past NSA capabilties...

Just saying.

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
n.nvt,

I understand your point, but I was writing about a Mircosoft Windows homer user's perspective. If such a user is worried about government surveillance, he is sadly mistaken when he thinks he is more secure by not choosing Norton.

Reactions: Nico@FMA

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
n.nvt,

I understand your point, but I was writing about a Mircosoft Windows homer user's perspective. If such a user is worried about government surveillance, he is sadly mistaken when he thinks he is more secure by not choosing Norton.

Alright i stand correct, and BTW sorry of i came across a bit harsh, but English is not my native language.
So it comes out as i think.

Reactions: FleischmannTV

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I just tested Norton 2015 beta security on VM using 69 recent samples (2 packs) from malwarehub. It's context menu scan detected very few items, but when ran them, at the end it removed everything except one vbscript that was running on every startup after first launch.
Both hitman pro and MBAM detected nothing after a reboot and scan.
So, I tend to consider it to be a good product, also it seemed very light on the vm.

Reactions: Popolitus

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Installed Norton Security with Backup on a physical Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit. I have 2 identical Norton icons sitting in the System Tray. I'll play around with it a bit longer, expires in 7 days. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.