Brand-new WEBROOT 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
well i have not tryed WSA since FEB this year so i would not know if 2014 (sucks) lol

but i used to beta test for Webroot also year's ago with Spysweeper lol

thanks

James

:)

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
I personally don't think that Webroot 2014 sucks and if others think it sucks then i respect their opinion

D

Deleted member 178

Earth said:
Umbra, have you noticed the trend in some software that's taken the simplified UI route? I'm guessing that "Kaspersky and Avast suck too".

indeed they do ;) /s

and advanced users we'll have nothing to play with :(

G

Guest28

They both should be spit on. Thanks.......

I thought Prevx was better at detecting and preventing webroot Ruined a good product. Anyway i will give 2014 a test soon.

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
well all these one line saying's about a product do's not help new members of this forum seeking advise
to choose whether or not one is bad or good with out explaining why from advance members

i respect others opinion but without help new members would not know why it's being said

thanks

James

:)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yes, check here for Webroot V8.x (2013)
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Giveaway-Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus-2013-FREE-for-6-Months?pid=97936#pid97936

No word about Webroot 2014 versions on Facebook.

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
i know the UI is important part of an av but its their detection rate when its comes to zero day malware,from the web,and blocking zero day malware that the av doesn't know about with their zero day protection is important too

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No offence, but that's complete tosh. Webroot has a rollback feature to undo changes. (see edit).

And if you're not an idiot, you should not be infected with malware. Sounds harsh, but it's true.

Edit - More here: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-What-to-do-if-Webroot-misses-a-malware

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
Webroot works differently but less people know this fact including me ;)
I know this fact last year during a thread discussion before that i thought webroot is really bad.

Bill W

Level 1
Verified
Mar 30, 2013
MalwareVirus said:
Webroot works differently but less people know this fact including me ;)
I know this fact last year during a thread discussion before that i thought webroot is really bad.

I have been using Webroot for about 9 months now. Fabulous product. I also used a trial version of Emsisoft for about 3 months which works very well with Webroot speed and compatability wise, but recently have felt confident enough to run Webroot alone as my only realtime AV.
Webroot works differently than the other AV's out there, and cold empirical signature based tests will never show it in a favourable light methinks........There is a certain "I trust them" kind of leap of faith required here.
Look at the Wilders security forum here for some intelligent discussion:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105

D

Deleted member 178

beta-testing WSA 2014, nice GUI, many options has been removed (sadly for me ^^) but still light and will rely on their new cloud-based behavioral system

Nedim

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
2014 Products have been released v8.0.4.17

Version 8.0.4.17 (Released October 3rd, 2013)

Implemented
More than 4,000 improvements throughout the product, significantly enhancing all areas of protection, usability, and the core functionality.
A fresh new UI which makes important features easily accessible.
New Realtime Anti-phishing which blocks phishing websites even if they are only seen by a single user.
New Webroot Infrared which blocks advanced persistent threats with a multi-layer defense engine.
Simplified configuration options across the product, making it easier to use and set up.
Automatic adaptive installation custom tailoring Webroot to your system as it installs.
Improved malware cleanup and detection throughout the product.
Lighter footprint, reducing memory, CPU, and disk resource requirements.

Added
Proxy configuration options pre-install.
Context sensitive help throughout the UI.
Handling for PUAs.
Access to Backup & Sync from within Windows Explorer.
Compatibility with Windows 8.1.

Fixed
Compatibility with other security solutions and third party products.
UI performance on lower end graphics cards.

*Credit to: Triple Helix from Wilders Security Forums*

Webroot

Verified
Jul 16, 2013
We have tons of new features and our detection rates improve each day. I don't think it's any secret that Webroot totally did away with the Spy Sweeper product several years ago. We literally built the SecureAnywhere product from the ground up -- including classification of both whitelist and blacklist files.

If you tried SpySweeper or the SecureAnywhere Beta from a couple of years ago -- everything is completely different since then. Admittedly, there were lots of bugs and features that didn't work as expected when we first released a few years ago, but all that has been corrected now.

So if you haven't given us a try in a while, you can get a free download trial from the Webroot website. We can run along side of your other AV.
http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/trials

And regarding the Zero-Day comments -- Let's face it, there is NO product that blocks truly unique malware on the very first day it's released. That's just the nature of the beast. But with our roll-back features, keystroke / screenshot blocking 'Identity Shield', plus other features that help keep your information secure, Customers can rest assured that Webroot will protect their system even if infected with Zero-Day malware.

Furthermore, if a customer is infected with a virus that we are not removing, they can give us a call or contact us via the community and we'll be able to use our Threat Intelligence Network to find, classify, and have the product remove the suspicious file -- and customers won't have to wait for a signature release in order to be protected.

So before you bash us, give us a try -- you'll be impressed.

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
but how long world it take to fix that with your so called rollback. by then people data might be taken,been hit by rootkit,or the pc haves been ransomed,eta

Webroot

Verified
Jul 16, 2013
nsm0220 said:
but how long world it take to fix that with your so called rollback. by then people data might be taken,been hit by rootkit,or the pc haves been ransomed,eta

The Identity Shield will block the collection of information in those circumstances. Try it! Go and download a keylogger builder and build a unique logger. Bind it with a legit program and then crypt the file using an available encrypter. This will make the file unique and as they say in the blackhat world, FUD. You can then install Webroot and the logger and try to capture keystrokes FROM HTTPS:// PAGES. The keystrokes and screen captures will be blocked from collection.

After your tests, you can ping me the MD5 of your installer file and I can mark the file and you can see the product roll back (remove the created files) the installation to a state prior to the installation of the keylogger.

So, as I said, we may not be 100% (no one is) against Zero-Day, but our features will protect the customer in the event that we don't detect the file right away. And the roll back features will remove all of the infection after the classification of the installer or other files from the installation.

Oh... and we decrypt the Ransomware programs -- provided we are on the machine first and can journal the changes. Plus we have several one-off fixes for encrypted files created by Ransomware programs.

Reactions: Deleted member 178
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.