New Update Brave browser adds native support for uBlock and Fanboy Annoyances and Social lists

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Installed Brave again (in Linux Flatpak). With all bloat disabled using settings and flags. I disagree with @lnk about messing up Brave by disabling REWARDS and WALLET options (important EDIT ==> thanks @Moonhoorse (y))

The chance to make code unstable by disabling options should be zero. Only when the programmers did not test it, there is a theoretical chance something messes up. But testing a disable is only one test case (as opposed to enabling stuff in which all logic paths of the enabled code should be tested). So I agree with LNK that enabling features through flags increases the chance to run into a program error (and make Brave unstable)

The extra Brave functionality of rewards and (crypto)wallet is programmed ON TOP of the open source chromium browser. Normally when you re-use software and add something new, it is bad practice to inter mingle new code with existing code (always add clearly separated and modular code). Otherwise with every new release of Chromium, Brave has to regression test all use and test cases (which is simply a waist of man-power and money). Considering the lay-off's at Brave hardly a feasible practice IMO. Long story short: it is absolutely safe to disable stuff in settings and flags (important EDIT) related REWARDS and WALLET.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

But you should keep eye on the flags on every major update if they get removed or atleast have list of what you have enabled as screenshot
Also flags usually have warning on them, if theyre unstable or may cause problems
Yes that is true generally and certainly applicable when enabling experimental features. But you make a valid point, I should have limited this to REWARDS and WALLET (so apologize for over stretching it and I thank you for that, I editted my post).

Disabling Rewards and Wallet which Lnk posted might make Brave unstable, is so unlikely because these features are build ON TOP of chromium and certainly NOT experimental (Rewards is the feature on which Brave's business model is based and Crypto Wallet support is an USP of Brave). I also explained that a disable is only one test-case, opposed to enabling which requires all logical paths to be tested (even so these options are so important to Brave, they will test everything related to Rewards and Wallet well),

Last edited by a moderator:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I haven't found a good all in one 'go to' thread with suggested settings so I might do one myself when I've got time.
I put suggested settings info in this old thread but Brave has changed too much since then. Probably best to start a new thread.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I disagree with @lnk about messing up Brave by disabling REWARDS and WALLET options (important EDIT ==> thanks @Moonhoorse (y))
Where did I say that?

There's a warning written on all Flag pages in Chromium-based browsers.

Learn to use the tagging system by correctly spelling usernames.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I put suggested settings info in this old thread but Brave has changed too much since then. Probably best to start a new thread.
Thanks @oldschool As good as Brave is when tweaked, which is very good imo, unfortunately, as time passes, it seems to require more and more changes to either uncheck all the nonsense or to enable and optimise 'the good stuff'. Out the box I don't think it's particularly good.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.