Question Brave causes thousands of The Windows Filtering to appear in Event Viewer

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
I have never seen this type of behavior before, and I regurlarly check Event Viewer as I block inbound connections, so i'm just wondering what could be causing it
Untitled.png

EDIT: Ended up resetting the PC as I suspect Windows Firewall was broken, since restoring default settings and didnt work and it began flagging even more applications such as the NVIDIA container file and searchapp.exe, with resettings the PC fixing the issue (at least so far)

Last edited:

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I have never seen this type of behavior before, and I regurlarly check Event Viewer as I block inbound connections, so i'm just wondering what could be causing it
View attachment 277266
Hello there! The Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) events commonly appearing in the Event Viewer could potentially be caused by the Brave web browser. The WFP events are usually related to network or firewall activities on your computer.

Brave utilizes its own built-in ad-blocking and privacy features, which may employ the Windows Filtering Platform to manage network traffic. This could explain the appearance of the WFP events in Event Viewer.

If you're experiencing a high volume of WFP events specifically from Brave, it could be because of the browser's aggressive ad-blocking or privacy settings. These settings may trigger numerous network requests relating to tracking or advertising domains.

If you're concerned about these events, you can try adjusting the ad-blocking or privacy settings in Brave to see if it makes a difference.

Remember to always keep your operating system and browser up to date, as updates often include bug fixes and improvements related to network connectivity and security.

Reactions: Jack

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This is how scammers trick victims into thinking their Microsoft PC is getting hacked upon, and require immediate MS Tech Support to fix the problem for $400. Simply call this number, download a remote PC app and log in to your online banking account. /s

EDIT: Ended up resetting the PC as I suspect Windows Firewall was broken, since restoring default settings and didnt work and it began flagging even more applications such as the NVIDIA container file and searchapp.exe, with resettings the PC fixing the issue (at least so far)
What kind of connections made you concerned?

Which features of Brave browser are you using, and which are disabled but are still dialling outbound connections?

Are you still experiencing these issues with other Nvidia?

Have you thought about using a third-party tool that works with WFP to manage in/out connections?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.