Hot Take Brave is beginning to suck.

Brave
73 Replies 7,068 Views
before assuming that Brave is trying to push users toward its paid version, it may be worth testing with a clean profile or disabling extensions to see if the behavior changes. This can help distinguish between a specific bug, a configuration issue, or a broader problem. 🦁⚙️
Indeed, thus my above advice. Your suggestion is good for testing. 👍👍 Mine is to fix whatever problem there might be. I just did this in Firefox yesterday and it got rid of the tortuga page loading.
 
Still not sure what can be done regarding Brave "resetting" itself after some of the updates.
Some of these "resets" may be related to internal changes during updates. When a browser changes how certain components or settings are handled, some preferences may need to be migrated or adjusted.

I don't think this can always be avoided, but checking the important settings after major updates is probably the most practical approach.
🦁⚙️
 
Some of these "resets" may be related to internal changes during updates. When a browser changes how certain components or settings are handled, some preferences may need to be migrated or adjusted.

I don't think this can always be avoided, but checking the important settings after major updates is probably the most practical approach.
🦁⚙️

But, that never happened IIRC, with Chrome, or Firefox now, where they refresh the Toolbars to default like Brave occasionally does after some updates?
Besides, I'm getting Firefox so dialed in with some of the about:config and standard settings, it's not going anywhere for a while :)
 
I am afraid I don't have much other options on Linux when I want to use flatpack versions:

- BraveOrigin with uBlockStripped in worry-free safe browsing mode = 20.3 Speedometer benchmark
- Ungoogled Chromium with uBS same setup 14.6 Speedometer benchmark
- Firefox with uBO 12.6 and config tweaked 12.8

So for me BraveOrigin is the best option, I use Brave search as default search engine (because BraveOrigin is free on linux)
 
I am afraid I don't have much other options on Linux when I want to use flatpack versions:

- BraveOrigin with uBlockStripped in worry-free safe browsing mode = 20.3 Speedometer benchmark
- Ungoogled Chromium with uBS same setup 14.6 Speedometer benchmark
- Firefox with uBO 12.6 and config tweaked 12.8

So for me BraveOrigin is the best option, I use Brave search as default search engine (because BraveOrigin is free on linux)
I ditched Firefox, really can not get used to it.
 
I am afraid I don't have much other options on Linux when I want to use flatpack versions:

- BraveOrigin with uBlockStripped in worry-free safe browsing mode = 20.3 Speedometer benchmark
- Ungoogled Chromium with uBS same setup 14.6 Speedometer benchmark
- Firefox with uBO 12.6 and config tweaked 12.8

So for me BraveOrigin is the best option, I use Brave search as default search engine (because BraveOrigin is free on linux)

It's interesting that we've come to the same conclusions:

Firefox (+uBo) = smartphone

Brave = PC (albeit with a different ad blocker).;)
 
Hello all. I don't know if it's just me, or any of you finding the same thing with Brave browser? When I try to go on a site the page hangs forever trying to load. I thought maybe it was just a cold start thing, but no, even after you been using the browser it will hang on some pages. I thought maybe it was because I have the content filter at aggressive so I changed it to standard, still no difference. I added a few flags, thought maybe that was the problem so I went back to default on the flags. I'm just wondering if this is Brave's way of trying push users to use their paid browser. I find it kind of weird where have to pay for a browser that has less. Does that mean they're going to load the free version with crap. Anyway I went to Firefox develop version, and I'm pleasantly surprised, it loads fast, pages load fast, it's what Brave used to be.
Brave never used to show me captchas, now I can't visit a single website without getting one. Even if I disable Brave Shields entirely, I get them sometimes and I don't know why. IP isn't blacklisted and this problem is specific to Brave; every other web browser including my primary one, Firefox works normally.
Ditched for unexplained excessive disk writes while idle.
But page loading was similar to Edge and Chrome and Shield less effective than uBOL and AG.
I ditched them (on desktop) because of the crypto scam they keep in the browser you can't disable without tinkering in Group Policy or paying them for Brave Origin. Because of constant captchas they can't seem to solve and because they never listen to their users. Entire browser seems like some kind of scam, especially if you list all of their controversies. Don't forget that they self willingly installed VPN client on user's PC for their paid VPN service without user knowledge and didn't provide a way to uninstall it. It took them months before they gave users an option to get rid of it.
I abandoned Brave browser last week after using it as my main browser for about 4 months. During my use of it, I noticed some problems and reported them in the Brave community, but they did not fix them. Instead, they told me that they were aware of this problem beforehand and that it was just a problem related to the graphical interface and did not affect how the browser worked. I also noticed that videos do not work at all on a website that I visit daily, even when the shields are disabled. Then, with the latest update, I found that it writes excess data to the disk even while idle, which is something I do not understand.
Bunch of reported issues never get any feedback from Brave side so even the important ones get lost; same like with Windows. Reported few things, gave up after not getting any response.
Try a browser reset. I bet this fixes the slow page load.
This might be solution. I don't know why, but every Chromium browser I ever used gets slow after few months of use. Resetting it to default settings fixes the slowdown. I never experienced same with Firefox I use as my primary web browser for a year now, if not more.
I got annoyed with disabling the Wallet, VPN and Rewards icons on the Toolbar after some of the updates, then needing to re-pin my extensions. I guess it's Brave's way of reminding us of those features. I never had any problems with webpage loading and speed, though. And the embedded ad blocker is nice. Still enjoying using Firefox...wish they had a better dictionary.
Better dictionary is coming AFAIK. Firefox now comes with updated dictionaries straight from the source and it's built-in.
I'm not a heavy user of Brave but I'm used to updates nuking settings and mucking things up. Takes a few minutes to change settings back, no biggie and huge 1st world problem. Brave is still #1 on mobile and I would give a few dollars for PRO just not $60USD a year:rolleyes:(n)
Unfortunately, that's true. Brave is the only web browser coming with an ad blocker on mobile that is worth to use. Everything other I tried either doesn't support a lot of syntaxes from filters or use too much battery.

I wish someone would create a web browser like Brave but without garbage for Android.
I ditched Firefox, really can not get used to it.
I keep hearing that a lot. I was the same, then I decided to give Firefox more time. Within a few days, I stopped using Brave entirely and switched to Firefox permanently.

I'd install Firefox, customize it and then uninstall it after few minutes/hours for some reason. I don't know why, and how, but I forced myself to week of using only Firefox and I'm glad I did because it completely changed my opinion on it.
It's interesting that we've come to the same conclusions:

Firefox (+uBo) = smartphone

Brave = PC (albeit with a different ad blocker).;)
I have it the other way around. Firefox for Android is garbage which only wastes battery way more than it should. It's also missing A LOT of features of the desktop variant.
When I found out that firefox's sandbox is weaker than chromium's, i switched to brave.
This is false and based on outdated article posted by someone in 2022. As of 7 months ago, Firefox is matches sandboxing capability and is equally secure as Chromium browsers are.

 
I keep hearing that a lot. I was the same, then I decided to give Firefox more time. Within a few days, I stopped using Brave entirely and switched to Firefox permanently.

I'd install Firefox, customize it and then uninstall it after few minutes/hours for some reason. I don't know why, and how, but I forced myself to week of using only Firefox and I'm glad I did because it completely changed my opinion on it.
I tried it so many times on Ubuntu, and it always makes me want to completely uninstall it. I dont like the enigine they use. Chromium based browsers have the speed and souplesse Firefox can never get.
 
@Marko :)

Perhaps you don't visit any websites that require custom rules to eliminate the annoyance,which may not bother you, but it bothers me,of age verification.
Just like some websites that consent cookies or require custom paywall rules.;)

P.S.

As for the sandbox feature, you might be right about the default Windows settings.
For example, my sandbox configuration in Brave is definitely more secure than Firefox's sandbox.
 
Last edited:
@Marko :)

Perhaps you don't visit any websites that require custom rules to eliminate the annoyance,which may not bother you, but it bothers me,of age verification.
Just like some websites that consent cookies or require custom paywall rules.;)
All sites I visit have cookie notices and some of them stubborn ones. No issues whatsoever on Android version of Brave. Moreover, Brave supports uBlock Origin and AdGuard syntaxes meaning you could totally use uBO filters in Brave.
P.S.

As for the sandbox feature, you might be right about the default Windows settings.
For example, my sandbox configuration in Brave is definitely more secure than Firefox's sandbox.
Not that paranoid so I'd go deep into the rabbit hole to change the sandboxing settings. You can harden it as much as you want, it won't change your security level but could make your web browser usage worse.

In case of malware infection, no level of sandboxing will help you, and damage will still be done.
 
All sites I visit have cookie notices and some of them stubborn ones. No issues whatsoever on Android version of Brave. Moreover, Brave supports uBlock Origin and AdGuard syntaxes meaning you could totally use uBO filters in Brave.

Not that paranoid so I'd go deep into the rabbit hole to change the sandboxing settings. You can harden it as much as you want, it won't change your security level but could make your web browser usage worse.

In case of malware infection, no level of sandboxing will help you, and damage will still be done.

The level?
It’s the sandbox protection that’s extended to areas not covered by default.

It doesn’t make anything worse.
In fact, it improves security.

On the contrary, my sandbox settings actually improve resistance to browser vulnerabilities that can be exploited remotely.
So, ultimately, they improve resistance to malware capable of exploiting certain sandbox escapes.

_________________________________________________________________________________

It's impossible for you to do that, even if you use 400,000 rules in your filters list,especially on websites in your language,as I explained in my previous post.

Have a nice day.
 
Hello all. I don't know if it's just me, or any of you finding the same thing with Brave browser? When I try to go on a site the page hangs forever trying to load. I thought maybe it was just a cold start thing, but no, even after you been using the browser it will hang on some pages. I thought maybe it was because I have the content filter at aggressive so I changed it to standard, still no difference. I added a few flags, thought maybe that was the problem so I went back to default on the flags. I'm just wondering if this is Brave's way of trying push users to use their paid browser. I find it kind of weird where have to pay for a browser that has less. Does that mean they're going to load the free version with crap. Anyway I went to Firefox develop version, and I'm pleasantly surprised, it loads fast, pages load fast, it's what Brave used to be.
Likely it's one of your flags that is causing it. I experienced a specific website where it has lots of scripts and Brave just crawls then hangs. I reverted all my custom flags to default and issue was gone.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top