Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
2days ago I found the brave isn't what we think!! they replace ads with their own hosted ads:D
Read here:
Home
It's complicated...
From the brave website:
The Brave browser knows where users spend their time, making it the perfect tool to calculate and reward publishers with BATs.
It's more like a Spy Software form USA than a browser to remove ads:D or maybe I'm in wrong?
Read more here:
About Ad Replacement
Can I replace Aduard with this browser?!
Can I trust brave browser?

Last edited:

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
I found the browser recently and have been putting it through it's paces.

While I like it and the features it brings,not allowing me to add plug-ins is frustrating.Will keep it updated for future use,but will stick with Chrome(Firefox 57 is crashing on my current setup)

Tsiehshi

Level 2
Verified
Nov 11, 2017
The structure of Brave extensions are quite different from the mainstream Chromium format (like QupZilla), allowing you to steer clear of the mess that is Chrome Webstore, but also making it harder to find an extension you're looking for. These extensions (at least the active ones) are in the path brave/[appversion]/resources/extensions/. For example, the torrent one has a background HTML page with .properties, .js and image file references.

That said, I'm not liking that browser much. The GUI is pretty and that's it. I prefer the QZ way (changing the architecture, yet making it feasible to develop or download new extensions and documenting how to do that). Brave just completely sacrifices customizability on the altar of "security" and "privacy". Yes, we're all on a security forum, so some people will completely disagree with me, but I think that's too much.

I appreciate their honesty in 'fessing up to replacing ads with their own. Ads aren't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm wary of these practices as a lot of software that started with "innocuous" advertising have ended up as bloated bags of trackers and annoying ads not much later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Handsome Recluse
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.