Brave - New Browser with a big plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Brave browser is open source based on Chromium.....so it is supposedly a privacy-conscious browser.

So are Chromium, Iridium, SRWare Iron browsers.......but they do phone home to Google which means they are not so privacy-conscious despite being open-sourced.

Does anyone knows whether Brave phones home to Google?

Open-source mean a lot, but not sure enough to confirm it does everything. You can read more about Brave support page and also i do not recommended use google your primary search engine and brave has built in more privacy friendly search engines.

Brave support dudes are very nice people indeed, if you want know something you WILL i know it! Just contact support, buddy trust me that thing ;)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Open-source mean a lot, but not sure enough to confirm it does everything. You can read more about Brave support page and also i do not recommended use google your primary search engine and brave has built in more privacy friendly search engines.

Brave support dudes are very nice people indeed, if you want know something you WILL i know it! Just contact support, buddy trust me that thing ;)
I just checked Brave's connections

Just installed and on start up (without any modification to the browser) it connects to Amazonaws.com(IP address 54.231.82.28)/Amazon Technologies Inc(IP address 52.216.81.147). So, NO GOOGLE HERE! It also connects to a company known as Fastly(IP address 151.101.77.7). See company below.

Partner : GCP | Fastly

Interesting Privacy Policy from Amazonaws

Data Privacy - Amazon Web Services (AWS)

So does Fastly and Amazonaws share user data with Google?

FYI, my Chromium/Iridium uses StartPage search engine

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ok, just got a spin of it.

Changed to StartPage search engine same as my Chromium/Iridium browsers. It's very slow on start up and browsing. Even my Chromium/Iridium browsers with more than 15 extensions can start and run faster than it. Checking for updates also takes a loooooooooooooooong time

Cannot always start in Incognito mode. Also, cannot access the flags to set them

I'll give it another try for the stable portable version 0.16. If it still don't run as fast as my Chromium/Iridium browsers I'll have it removed.

:oops:

EDIT

Just realized it works fast with DuckDuckGo search engine. Cannot check for updates? And cannot always start in Incognito mode. Also, cannot access the flags to set them

OK, will keep and test it for a while

:D

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy and BugCode

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi @BugCode

Thanks. I'm converting from the portable version to the dev version.

There are something which I like of Brave and its pretty fast with SearX search engine.

But I don't like

1) No support of extensions. For the moment I use Adguard desktop for additional web protection and will need a sandbox to run Brave inside it.
2) Using the portable version Brave does not open to the full screen. It left about 1.5mm on the right side and bottom of the screen. I need to press the full screen button before it can fully occupy the screen
3) I can highlight with my finger a word but cannot highlight lines of words for copying. I need to use the mouse pointer for the latter.

I have no such problems(2 & 3) using Chromium/Iridium browsers. I hope the dev version will solve these problems

Last edited:
Reactions: BugCode and frogboy

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
@HarborFront , dude.
1: That's the reason allready, todo browser, you don't have to put any addons, so browser itself has those included, like blockers etc.. and more coming stay tuned. Like install and brownse browser. (easy)
2: Those are tiny bugs (what i love, you could imagine that already my nick) we,,, i mean they do their best all the time what users told them what Bugs <3 they have founded.
3: same as i mention point2: be patient buddy! ;)

Edit: Always use browser what ever happend in contained form, buddy u know it.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ok just spinned the dev version 0.16.6

Now Brave opens to full page so bug solved but highlighting lines of words for copying using finger bug still there.

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
C'mon! Give some time those tiny bugs. There are "bigger" bugs what have to make in order what's important. Patienge, patienge dude! Read a little in github, how the hell of many things are being solved and will be solved in future...

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
C'mon! Give some time those tiny bugs. There are "bigger" bugs what have to make in order what's important. Patienge, patienge dude! Read a little in github, how the hell of many things are being solved and will be solved in future...

To me it's big bug for I'm using touchscreen tablets. I don't use mouse and not the touch pad for this purpose. I use my finger most of the time on the screen.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Amazon is more of a competitor to Google. They collect big data just like Google does and are quite ubiquitous. Google's everywhere though even compared to Amazon.
Between Google amd Amazon the former is the larger of the 2 evils. MS is the other big evil. I surrender to Amazon for 'safer' privacy

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
To me it's big bug for I'm using touchscreen tablets. I don't use mouse and not the touch pad for this purpose. I use my finger most of the time on the screen.

That's very sad you know :/ As i have mention, check some of so many "bugs" they solving all the time... i feel so sorry for your point o view. You know, You could ALWAYS report for your find HUGE bugs in the site

Reactions: frogboy

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Brave's still not stable isn't it? But the update seem to suggest that it has anti-anti-adblock capabilities so are the anti-anti-adblock specific to Brave or they submit it on Easylist?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Last edited:

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Looks like it cannot update using the 'Check for Updates" feature inside the browser.

Have to download the new exe file and install over the earlier one

Works like a charm here (automatic). There was a issue with that but it has been fixed now, today i have got 3 updates already!

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Works like a charm here (automatic). There was a issue with that but it has been fixed now, today i have got 3 updates already!
v0.16.9 dev is the latest........still have 3 updates? The website doesn't show any

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.