Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
So i have this problem with adguard, on desktop it started to conflict with several antiviruses, not working correctly while 3rd party av is installed.
Second problem is adguard on android ( pixel 6a) everytime it blocks trackers or anything while screen is off, it will open up screen/flash screen that will eat battery usage

So im asking help for adblocking, in mobile and desktop, i want to use same setup on bother devices due possible sync

I know that on firefox android you can use extensions like adguard/ ublock origin/ ghostery

I also know that with ublock origin people are getting youtube ads

NextDNS isnt option for me, i dont want to pay for it and free version will not be enough for me

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Have you tried a factory reset on Adguard (Desktop) to see if that resolves any conflicts, then reconfigure your preferences. Else you may need to use their Support Forums for assistance to your problems relating to Adguard and Pixel device.

I use Brave on Android and have not seen any Ads appear on the videos.

Here are some other options to explore:
  • LibreTube on Android - Disallow default URL to open in YouTube app, or to Disable YouTube app completely.
  • FreeTube on Windows
  • Firefox (Android) with AdGuard AdBlocker extension
i want to use same setup on bother devices due possible sync
What kind of data needs to be in-sync? Do you have a preference between Brave vs Firefox on Desktop?

According to some members, Brave Sync V2 isn't reliable. I have not used it, so no comment here.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Have you tried a factory reset on Adguard (Desktop) to see if that resolves any conflicts, then reconfigure your preferences. Else you may need to use their Support Forums for assistance to your problems relating to Adguard and Pixel device.
I tried to reinstall it, i tried to reinstall certificate, google pop ups still existed and android is annoying as it wakes up phone everytime it blocks something. Maybe i could wait till next version of adguard if it gets fixed or ping devs right now..

Firefox (Android) with AdGuard AdBlocker extension
I was thinking this aswell, but its much slower than brave

What kind of data needs to be in-sync? Do you have a preference between Brave vs Firefox on Desktop?
I mean basic sync like firefox or vivaldi has, but its not that important, most important thing is adblocking

would go for simple solution: Brave with appropriate shields and filter lists enabled.
This is on my testing list as im posting now, aswell i could use trend micro throught vpn profile in android if i choose brave to go.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I was thinking this aswell, but its much slower than brave
I have not noticed much difference between switching to different videos on YouTube.com on Firefox (Android), in some cases Brave (Android) actually loads slower. (Snapdragon 8 Gen 1).

Under the Brave Shields settings, users can optionally Block YouTube recommended content (ie. up next cards) and Block YouTube distracting elements (ie. sign in menu, comments and video info)

I mean basic sync like firefox or vivaldi has, but its not that important, most important thing is adblocking
So essentially Sync is not required, because if you are logged into YouTube and have Watch History enabled, that data will be synced to your Google Account. It'll be universally available until auto-deleted or manually purged.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Under the Brave Shields settings, users can optionally Block YouTube recommended content (ie. up next cards) and Block YouTube distracting elements (ie. sign in menu, comments and video info)
Saw this and enabled it, thanks.

So essentially Sync is not required, because if you are logged into YouTube and have Watch History enabled, that data will be synced to your Google Account. It'll be universally available until auto-deleted or manually purged.
No worries i dont need the sync history

JustInTime

Level 1
Feb 21, 2022
So i have this problem with adguard, on desktop it started to conflict with several antiviruses, not working correctly while 3rd party av is installed.
Second problem is adguard on android ( pixel 6a) everytime it blocks trackers or anything while screen is off, it will open up screen/flash screen that will eat battery usage
On android if you are using a browser with in built adblocker like brave/samsung internet you don't really need AdGuard, you can use any other firewall/DNS app like RethinkDNS/Netguard for system wide DNS and firewall.
I also know that with ublock origin people are getting youtube ads
It looks like a small set of people mostly who login to their account to watch youtube. In my region there aren't any complaints so maybe region based.
So im asking help for adblocking, in mobile and desktop, i want to use same setup on bother devices due possible sync
If you are looking for sync then I think Firefox with ubo or adguard is your best bet because Brave sync didn't work properly at least for me. If you are open to use google for sync then Cromite (Bromite fork) has Adblocker plus.
NextDNS isnt option for me, i dont want to pay for it and free version will not be enough for me
You should take a look at AhaDNS, RethinkDNS or ControlD they allow you to choose filterlists you want to use with no account or limited queries.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
So i decided to go with brave browser ( for adblocking ) and using Dns0 for malware blocking. ( all family devices) Now i dont have need for antivirus at all, but thinking of installing some light solution on desktop, wich have no web filtering or pop-ups

Thanks all for replies

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

I use uBlock Origin on Firefox for my system and on Edge and Chrome for the kids' systems, and I have no issues with YouTube ads. I use Vivaldi's built-in protection with EasyList filters and Peter Lowe's filter with no problem on YouTube.

If you are experiencing an issue with AdGuard Desktop, try disabling HTTPS scanning in your antivirus software.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

I used the same filters for UO, AG, and Vivaldi's built-in, and they offer a similar experience. However, I noticed one difference. When I download things from sites with ads and wait times, AG or UO mostly make the seconds go to 0 quickly, and Vivaldi's built-in makes me wait. I think Brave Shield would work the same way in such cases. Also, extensions seem to be overall more effective than browsers built-in.

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
on Firefox I use uBlock Origin and have no problems with ads.
I use the same in Vivldi and Edge.
and I'm not changing it for now, there's no need.

Reactions: oldschool

cryogent

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
I think that problem with screen on is related with your notification settings of the app itself or is enabled "Wake screen for notifications" in Pixel settings, not sure if is a bug of Adguard app.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moonhorse

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I think that problem with screen on is related with your notification settings of the app itself or is enabled "Wake screen for notifications" in Pixel settings, not sure if is a bug of Adguard app.
Adguard in silent mode fixed the problem.

How has your 2 week experience been with Brave browser and DNS0 across all devices? Pros/cons?
Brave is great, even i dislike their crypto concept . But i moved to google chrome + adguard because of trend micro web filtering in mobile devices

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.