Advanced Plus Security brod's Security Configuration (mid 2018)

Last updated
Aug 11, 2018
Windows Edition
Pro
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
Windows Defender
Configure Defender v.1.1 (high settings, CPU load reduced a bit)
SysHardener v.1.5 (recommended settings)
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Zemana AntiMalware Portable
Hitman Pro (portable .exe)
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Opera (malware protection on, default adblocker off)
Maintenance tools
Windows Disk Cleaner
File and Photo backup
OneDrive (real time backups)
System recovery
Macrium Reflect Free (daily differentials)

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Some notes:
- Minimalism is the main focus on the configuration
- Opera is my go-to browser due to being easier on the memory and having a nice UI
- HTTPS Everywhere is not used; I find it mostly pointless these days
- CCleaner is not used; stopped trusting it after the hack controversy (plus having found that the Registry Cleaner has a tendency to break Windows Search)
- Windows Firewall is manually set up to block outbound connections from untrusted apps
- No antiexecutables due to the tweaking of Windows permissions via SysHardener and Configure Defender
- Common sense always comes before any security program.

Any tips are highly appreciated :)

Last edited:

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Nice Config!
You can add Tools like CCleaner,WDC (Wise Disk Cleaner) or NepTune

Thanks for sharing

'dopse

Thanks for the tip. I left CCleaner after the hack controversy, and after having found that the Registry Cleaner breaks Windows Search. I use Windows Disk Cleaner rarely, to free up some space. No performance issues.
EDIT: Just updated the notes to state this.

Reactions: oldschool

Question

Level 3
Verified
Jun 22, 2018
Thanks for the tip. I left CCleaner after the hack controversy, and after having found that the Registry Cleaner breaks Windows Search. I use Windows Disk Cleaner rarely, to free up some space. No performance issues.
I think Wise Disk Cleaner is safe. CCleaner is safe too

Unbenannt.PNG

(You can edit what WDC should Clean)

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Optional software and aspects to add to your config:

Search engine: Change to either Startpage or DuckDuckGo - I hate to see people used for ad profit
Security: NVT OSArmor 1.4 can be supplemented alongside Syshardener & WD
On demand scanner(s): Emsisoft Emegency Kit can go alongside Zemana Portable

Opera extensions you could use:
  • Netcraft - comprehensive PUP protection
  • uBlock Origin - can be highly customised, low CPU usage, massive help on this forum, AdGuard isn't all all that good privacy wise
  • Nano Adblocker w/ Nano Defender - (alternative you could try to the above & AdGuard)
  • Cookie Auto-Delete - self explanatory within it's name
  • Malwarebytes and/or Windows Defender Browser extension - online threats
  • Privacy Possum - does a better job of stopping various referrer headers online
  • Install Chrome Extensions - Exactly what it says
  • Scriptsafe or Script Defender - manage scripts & privacy globally or per site basis
Rest of your config has the rest of the basics covered, well done for using @Andy Ful configure defender too.

~LDogg

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Optional software and aspects to add to your config:

Search engine: Change to either Startpage or DuckDuckGo - I hate to see people used for ad profit
Security: NVT OSArmor 1.4 can be supplemented alongside Syshardener & WD
On demand scanner(s): Emsisoft Emegency Kit can go alongside Zemana Portable

Opera extensions you could use:
  • Netcraft - comprehensive PUP protection
  • uBlock Origin - can be highly customised, low CPU usage, massive help on this forum, AdGuard isn't all all that good privacy wise
  • Nano Adblocker w/ Nano Defender - (alternative you could try to the above & AdGuard)
  • Cookie Auto-Delete - self explanatory within it's name
  • Malwarebytes and/or Windows Defender Browser extension - online threats
  • Privacy Possum - does a better job of stopping various referrer headers online
  • Install Chrome Extensions - Exactly what it says
  • Scriptsafe or Script Defender - manage scripts & privacy globally or per site basis
Rest of your config has the rest of the basics covered, well done for using @Andy Ful configure defender too.

~LDogg

Thank you for the suggestions.
Privacy is not my main concern; I know it's almost inevitable that our data is collected for ads and other reasons. My main concerns are security and convenience. In spite of that, I will take a look at all the extensions you mentioned.
Regarding the scanners, I have seen many tests and sticked with Zemana. Having another one can't hurt, I agree. We all have our paranoid side :)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Extensions: I would add Avira Browser Safety or at least Netcraft.
That DNS though, I am sure you could do better, much much better.
UltraDNS (Neustar) for starters or 1.1.1.1 or 9.9.9.9, faster and safer.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018

The DNS suggestion I agree with, however with Avira Browser Safety I do not, it's essentially a Hogware, takes up way to much CPU and someone else said on the forum they've seen it take up as much as 600mb. Which is why Malwarebytes Browser Extension or Norton Web Safe/Web Search would more of an ideal extension to use.

~LDogg

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
however with Avira Browser Safety I do not, it's essentially a Hogware, takes up way to much CPU and someone else said on the forum they've seen it take up as much as 600mb.
Yes, but I think it was running on Chrome. Opera might be different, not to mention, that the leak could be caused by a security software.
I would probably recommend K9 instead, it is better, but it might be too much to handle, rules have to be polished, before it becomes usable.

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017

I have tested Avira extension a while back and it slowed the navigation a bit too much for me. If I wanted to get a hardened web filtering extension, I'm sure I could use custom uBlock filters and just let it do all the work for me. For now, I'm sticking with the convenience of AdGuard.
About the DNS, I completely agree with you. I only started using a custom DNS recently, and I didn't do a proper research on the best ones yet. Will look into it for sure.

Question

Level 3
Verified
Jun 22, 2018
I have tested Avira extension a while back and it slowed the navigation a bit too much for me. If I wanted to get a hardened web filtering extension, I'm sure I could use custom uBlock filters and just let it do all the work for me. For now, I'm sticking with the convenience of AdGuard.
About the DNS, I completely agree with you. I only started using a custom DNS recently, and I didn't do a proper research on the best ones yet. Will look into it for sure.
With the DNS you can use DNSJumper
You just click test and it find the fastest DNS for you!

Download here: Click Me

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
With the DNS you can use DNSJumper
You just click test and it find the fastest DNS for you!

Download here: Click Me

Thank you for that awesome little tool!
My fastest DNS is Norton ConnectSafe Basic. Any thoughts on it?

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Nice & simple config.! @illumination will like it for sure. You might try TinyWall to harden and control WF unless you configure the latter directly. Very lightweight and non-intrusive.

Reactions: brod56

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Nice & simple config.! @illumination will like it for sure. You might try TinyWall to harden and control WF unless you configure the latter directly. Very lightweight and non-intrusive.
Thanks! TinyWall is now on learning mode, will switch to Normal Mode after using the PC for a couple of days.
EDIT: I ended up playing a bit with Windows Firewall advanced settings instead, guess it does the same :)

Last edited:

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
UPDATE 1 (15/07/2018)
- Replaced OpenDNS with Norton ConnectSafe DNS
- Added VirusTotal context menu uploader
- Added Emsisoft Emergency Kit and HitmanPro
- Added Process Explorer

Last edited:

Question

Level 3
Verified
Jun 22, 2018
UPDATE 1 (15/07/2018)
- Replaced OpenDNS with Norton ConnectSafe DNS
- Added VirusTotal context menu uploader
- Added Emsisoft Emergency Kit and HitmanPro
- Added Process Explorer
I like your Config very much! You can (optional) use WDC Portable + Privacy Eraser Portable. I think you like it for sure.
Privacy Eraser: Click To Download
Wise Disk Cleaner: Click To Download

You can use your own WDC Settings or my Settings: Click Me

ѕнarιng ιѕ carιng
'[̲̅d̲̅][̲̅o̲̅][̲̅p̲̅][̲̅s̲̅][̲̅e̲̅]

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.