Security News Browser Autofill Profiles Can Be Abused for Phishing Attacks

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Browser autofill profiles are a reliable phishing vector that allow attackers to collect information from users via hidden fields, which the browser automatically fills with preset personal information and which the user unknowingly sends to the attacker when he submits a form.

Autofill profiles are a recent addition to modern-day browsers. This feature works by allowing the user to create a profile that holds different details about himself that he usually enters inside web forms.

When the user has to fill in a form in the future, he can simply select an autofill profile and his browser will enter the preset information in all form fields, sparing the user the time he would have needed to type in 10, 20 or more fields.

Browser autofill profiles should not be confused with form field autofilling behavior, which allows a user to fill in one form field at a time with data he previously entered in those fields. Autofill profiles allow users to fill in entire forms with one click.

Autofill profiles facilitate phishing and reconnaissance attacks
Finnish web developer Viljami Kuosmanen has published yesterday a demo on GitHub that shows how an attacker could take advantage of browsers that support autofill profiles.

His demo, available here, is a simple web form. A user looking at this page will only see a Name and Email input field, along with a Submit button.

Unless the user looks at the page's source code, he won't know that the form also contains six more fields named Phone, Organization, Address, Postal Code, City, and Country.

If the user has an autofill profile set up in his browser, if he decides to autofill the two visible fields, the six hidden fields will be filled in as well, since they're part of the same form, even if invisible to the user's eye.

As you can imagine yourself, this presents a simple method that threat actors can use to collect all sorts of personal information about users, ranging from home addresses to phone numbers, and even credit card information, if the user saves this type of data in his autofill profile.

A dodgy form autofill has led the researcher down this rabbit hole
"I had known about this issue for a long time," Kuosmanen told Bleeping Computer today via email. "A similar thing (honeypots) is used to trap bots in forms to avoid spam. This is the same idea, just trap real browser users instead of bots."

"The idea for the demo came after I was annoyed about Chrome autofilling wrong fields on an ecommerce site. I then went on to see which details Chrome had saved for autofill about me and was surprised about how much information is available," Kuosmanen added.

Intrigued by Chrome's behavior, the developer says that he then experimented to see what was the range of form fields Chrome would fill in, and he eventually got the idea of testing hidden form fields.

"I thought it would be a good idea to demonstrate this issue as a gif and shared it on Twitter," Kuosmanen said.

autofill-demo.gif

During his tests, the developer discovered that Chrome had UI elements in place when a username or password was filled in, even inside a hidden field, but these didn't appear for the other fields.

Read more: Browser Autofill Profiles Can Be Abused for Phishing Attacks

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
This is the in-browser "remember my password - and other form filling" capability right?

Please don't tell me it affects things like LastPass - that would be bad.

and FYI for some reason autofill PW managers sometimes are detected as "Automated behavior" and your account is locked or requires a Captcha, etc now.

IDK why, but I suppose the rapid form filling flags something - even though it is just a password manager.

This is the in-browser "remember my password - and other form filling" capability right?

Please don't tell me it affects things like LastPass - that would be bad.

and FYI for some reason autofill PW managers sometimes are detected as "Automated behavior" and your account is locked or requires a Captcha, etc now.

IDK why, but I suppose the rapid form filling flags something - even though it is just a password manager.

With a password manager like LastPass it is even worse - especially if the user populates all the information in the LastPass Form Fills.

LastPass Form Fills has auto-fill fields for Bank Account, Credit Card, Social Security Number, Address, Phone Numbers, etc. The user has to create a Form Fill profile and populate each of the fields. If they do so, then LastPass will behave exactly as a browser auto-fill works.

Yes. It can extend to password managers - dependent upon whether or not it has form fill capabilities and the user configures the form fills.

Last edited by a moderator:

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Thanks for the share :)

The method used to make the other 6 field not appear (for the test webpage) :

=> playing with the margin-left property of the style for each field​

An example with the phone field :

=> The code in the HTML page to create the field for the phone number

<p style="margin-left:-500px">
<input id="phone" name="phone" type="text" placeholder="Your Phone">
</p>

margin-left : -500px ! => the field is present, but outside the visible page.

e.g :

margin-left : 0px
0.jpg

=> field with the others
margin-left : -50px
1.jpg

=> field moved to the left
margin-left : 50px
2.jpg

=> field moved to the right

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Thanks. Lucky i don't use this and my password manager is always locked when not needed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.