HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Long words but the concept is simple.

Browser compartmentalization is a privacy technique that is finally gaining mainstream attention. The technique sees users using two or even three browsers on the same computer. However, instead of switching between browsers at random, users of browser compartmentalization dedicate one browser to one type of internet activity, and another browser to another type of internet activity.

Say 1 browser for surfing sites which require log in/sign in like banking sites, shopping sites, emails, social media, travel/hotel booking sites etc

The other browser for general everyday surfing which do NOT require you to log in/sign in.

In addition, the use of privacy-focused browsers, extensions and some precautions are highlighted in the below article

The article is too long to post so read the below link

Last edited:

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Here is a good video on the subject

I would use one browser setup for work, banking, personnel with strict privacy settings and extensions, a different browser for social media, anything else you use a password to access such as MalwareTips, and third browser for general surfing.

For general browsing I am thinking multiple browsers with a browser level VPN extensions each set to connect to a difference geolocation and randomize their use, or a multi-identity browser like, Multilogin Browser , Antidect Browser however are extremely expensive, you can also check out the nDalang Browser that is free.

Another way would be use Virtualbox with Whonix for general browsing, there is also the Burner Browser which will create a virtual desktop at the geolocation of your choosing then when your browsing session is done the entire desktop and all the data you accumulated during that session is erased.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

I would use one browser setup for work, banking, personnel with strict privacy settings and extensions, a different browser for social media, anything else you use a password to access such as MalwareTips, and third browser for general surfing.

For general browsing I am thinking multiple browsers with a browser level VPN extensions each set to connect to a difference geolocation and randomize their use, or a multi-identity browser like, Multilogin Browser , Antidect Browser however are extremely expensive, you can also check out the nDalang Browser that is free.

Another way would be use Virtualbox with Whonix for general browsing, there is also the Burner Browser which will create a virtual desktop at the geolocation of your choosing then when your browsing session the entire desktop and all the data you accumulated during that session is erased.

According to the link below nDalang is not free and with no answer to support

BTW, Whonix with TOR is a solid privacy combo

Last edited:

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I don't see anything on the nDlang site about buying it, I was able to just download it, just have to find sometime to play around with it, unless there is some kind of in browser purchasing scheme it appears to be free.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
This is an interesting topic.

I've sorta done this in some ways but never thought about it as a formal approach.

I think I just may adopt part of this methodology.

Thanks OP.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Have been doing this for quite a while to some extent. Using Edge.html for down/uploads and general surfing without logging into anywhere (very rarely do I log in with Edge) Using sandboxed Firefox for regular browsing and email. Don't do online banking anyway. It's a good philosophy and if you're committed to it, you can adapt very quickly.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018

Another way would be use Virtualbox with Whonix for general browsing, there is also the Burner Browser which will create a virtual desktop at the geolocation of your choosing then when your browsing session is done the entire desktop and all the data you accumulated during that session is erased.

Easy solutions

Don't use any electronic devices at all and internet.

Live in the jungle

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.