Solved Browser Hijacker still present after completing MalwareTips removal guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

mupaco007

Thread author
Verified
Dec 16, 2014
So I uninstalled Chrome and also deleted the browsing data (I checked that box the first time as well):
upload_2014-12-21_15-28-48.png

However, last time, I installed Chrome again right away. This time, I haven't reinstalled Chrome, and I have not been able to get IE to redirect after clicking on several links on several different sites. It would be ideal if we could also use Chrome, though, as I feel it performs a lot better for many of the sites that we normally use. Should I reinstall Chrome to see if the redirect comes back for both browsers? Let me know what you think. Thank you for your help so far!

mupaco007

Thread author
Verified
Dec 16, 2014
I installed Chrome and skipped the step to sign into one of our profiles. I've clicked multiple links from multiple sites on both Chrome and IE, and we have have zero redirects (making progress!). Waiting for next steps.

mupaco007

Thread author
Verified
Dec 16, 2014
I logged into our Chrome profile, and I clicked on several links in Chrome without redirecting. Then I switched to IE, and I was also able to click several links without issues, but eventually it did redirect in IE (redirected about 4 times starting with "find-all-you-want.com"). After that, I went back to Chrome, and then it only took a few link clicks to get it to redirect. Seems like it could be that profile.

mupaco007

Thread author
Verified
Dec 16, 2014
So I cleared the sync data for both of the Google accounts that we use on this computer (I haven't turned it back on, either). I let it sit for a few hours as suggested on the CNET link you sent so that the sync data could get cleared out of all their servers. I just started going through some links in Chrome and I got redirected again. I then tried in IE and got redirected after a couple link clicks as well.

I'm assuming (hoping) we just need to do one more scan/clean with some of the anti-malware tools and then since the sync data is cleared we should be good to go? Let me know what you think - thanks!

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
51a612a8b27e2-Zoek.png
Scan with ZOEK

Please download ZOEK by Smeenk and save it to your desktop (preferred version is the *.exe one)
Temporary disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware protection - instructions here.

• Right-click on
    51a612a8b27e2-Zoek.png
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Wait patiently until the main console will appear, it may take a minute or two.
  • In the main box please paste in the following script:
    Code:
    createsrpoint;
    autoclean;
    emptyalltemp;
    ipconfig /flushdns;b
  • Make sure that Scan All Users option is checked.
  • Push Run Script and wait patiently. The scan may take a couple of minutes.
  • When the scan completes, a zoek-results logfile should open in notepad.
  • If a reboot is needed, it will be opened after it. You may also find it at your main drive (usually C:\ drive)

Post its content into your next reply.

FRST.gif
Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please re-run Farbar Recovery Scan Tool to give me a fresh look at your system.
  • Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Make sure that Addition option is checked.
  • Press Scan button and wait.
  • The tool will produce two logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
Please include their content into your next reply.

mupaco007

Thread author
Verified
Dec 16, 2014
Here are the logs. After the computer rebooted, I opened Chrome to reply to this thread (to my knowledge, Google sync is still turned off) - and I got redirected.

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    32.8 KB · Views: 34
  • FRST.txt
    40.3 KB · Views: 36
  • zoek-results.txt
    5 KB · Views: 43

mupaco007

Thread author
Verified
Dec 16, 2014
Just to close the loop on this thread, a few days after the last post, the redirects stopped. I still have Google sync off, so my guess is that it just took longer than normal for the sync data (and the browser hijacker) to clear.

This was a stubborn one - thank you TwinHeadedEagle for your patience and expertise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.